Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are in a survival situation, you hear gunfire close by.
What will be your instinctive reaction?
Freeze?
Hit the deck, roll and crawl to cover?
Return fire?
Don't return fire?
Situational assesment before returning fire?
Is it hostile action against you or someone else, an AD, firearms training, or hunting?
Very broard I know, and some of us will not Know until the situation happens.
Some of us will rely on instinctive reaction from occupational training and experience such as the military and law enforcement.
Remember every second counts.
This is a question about your own personal reaction preps.

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
get into a good abush spot, wait for the smoke to clear... if i can steer clear of the BS i will. but would have to know if my own people are under fire, and where the victors are heading.

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
I know EXACTLY what I'll do because I spent 19 months in Viet Nam. I will stop. I will try to determine which direction the gunfire came. I will note whether or not I heard anything, like bullets pass overhead or near me. If nothing came close, I will slowly move towards the sound of where the gunfire came. Once I have found the source of the gunfire, I will observe the person with the gun to see what he/she is up to. If I find their actions threatening or offensive I will take whatever action I feel is needed at that time. Once I have gotten the job done, I will move on without remorse, guilt feelings or satisfaction. If no action was needed by me, so be it. If I have to leave a dead person behind I will check them for anything I can use to my advantage such as documents, ammunition, supplies and firearms before I move on to my objective. Just for the fun of it, I might plant "some leads" in or near the dead person directing people following up on the dead person's demise towards a dirtbag that I don't like. That way you can kill two birds with one stone...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Instinctive reactions are not the same as logical decisions. We do them without thinking. I think the vast majority of people would have one of two reactions:

1. Duck
2. Look towards the source of the noise.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Instinctive reactions are not the same as logical decisions. We do them without thinking. I think the vast majority of people would have one of two reactions:

1. Duck
2. Look towards the source of the noise.
"I shall now read from the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke.....AND DUCK!"

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,629 Posts
I live near a lot of gang members and I hear gunshots nightly around my house. Normally I stop what I am doing and listen to find out what direction they are coming from, and how close they are. If they continue or are very close I get my gun, otherwise I go back to what I was doing.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Find concealment till its possible to determine if I am outnumbered and out gunned. May sit still for quite a while just to observe. More may be learned as a fly on the wall then all of the metal chairs and battery charger of the CIA.

You may learn of movements, objectives, others besides those shooting that may be coming after them. The Locations of supplies and goods or the intentions to hunt down and trap others.

Hide and collect intelligence if possible.

·
Registered
282 Posts
ive been around gunfire before my first reaction was i ducked found cover accessed where the fire was and why it was being done and i quickly left the area gang violence=pointless

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
If it was just me then Herd Sniper showed the way for me (without the bit at the end).
If it was me and the family - different story. Take cover, make safe, arm up, sit and wait in a good defensive position and wait until it's safe to move and move away from the danger.

·
Registered
871 Posts
take cover and try to get the hell outta there, if it's gang bangers then chances are theres more then one, and my pistols are not much of a match agaist a shotgun or ak which is the prefered choice of gang bangers. i seen a drive by before in providence rhode island and it was an ak doing the talking.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Been shot at several times, or been next those being shot at.....

1. Duck and cover. (if not already dead due to an ambush)
2. Determine what it is, Gun, Rifle shotgun, RPG ect, where it's coming from and what its directed at.
3. If not directed at or near me, stay down but prepared and aware
4. If directed at me, tactical assessment, can I match or exceed the firepower being used? Find a advantage, exploit it while returning fire, if advantage is in my favor, if not try to slink away unnoticed, if trapped, shoot like hell and hope for the best.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I learned during war games while in the Army that during night firing, the other side would could zero in on your position if you were shooting alot. Keep in mind the muzzle flash.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankyou all for the good posts on this topic, situational awareness of your OA before, during and after the gun fire will help determine what your reaction will be.
Pretty much comes to 'Flight or fight'.
There are quite a number of variables and life experiences that will make the situational reaction unique to all and for some us it will be the first time.
However, I think complacency about the security of your area will be the greatest risk.
My thought is never ever take security for granted, there will always be a risk or threat.
For me , it is not paranoira or fear, but logic and instincts.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,629 Posts
take cover and try to get the hell outta there, if it's gang bangers then chances are theres more then one, and my pistols are not much of a match agaist a shotgun or ak which is the prefered choice of gang bangers. i seen a drive by before in providence rhode island and it was an ak doing the talking.
I've seen a LOT of drive by's in Memphis and most of the gang bangers here prefer Glocks. Light weight, easy to hide in baggie clothes, 9mm ammo is cheap, and the guns are cheap on the street so it doesn't matter if you have to throw it away while running from the cops.

The only time you see an AK here is when they are all gathered in a members front yard showing off.

Most gang shootings are quick hit and run shootings, usually because the people that are being shot at, shoot back.

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
8 Passes Wind, I was actually taught that bit at the end when I was in Viet Nam. That bit at the end is when you either leave behind your calling card or you leave behind the calling card of somebody you don't like. Most of the time, we'd leave cards behind with our unit logo on it so that they'd know we had been there. After some firefights, we'd find fired enemy shell casings from when they had fired at us. Some of us would pick up a dozen or so of these cases, keep them clean and dry for later use. Later on when we killed an enemy soldier we might place 4 to 6 of these acquired shell casings around the dead enemy. That way it would look like one of THEIR people had gone over to our side or gone rogue. We did everything that we could to make the communists paranoid and it worked. So imagine you come across two or three dead friends and there are 7.62 X 39 casings laying around near where they were killed. What are you going to think or feel about the shooter?

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
8 Passes Wind, I was actually taught that bit at the end when I was in Viet Nam. That bit at the end is when you either leave behind your calling card or you leave behind the calling card of somebody you don't like. Most of the time, we'd leave cards behind with our unit logo on it so that they'd know we had been there. After some firefights, we'd find fired enemy shell casings from when they had fired at us. Some of us would pick up a dozen or so of these cases, keep them clean and dry for later use. Later on when we killed an enemy soldier we might place 4 to 6 of these acquired shell casings around the dead enemy. That way it would look like one of THEIR people had gone over to our side or gone rogue. We did everything that we could to make the communists paranoid and it worked. So imagine you come across two or three dead friends and there are 7.62 X 39 casings laying around near where they were killed. What are you going to think or feel about the shooter?
Rodger that HS, I know where you are coming from and why you did what you did.
All I meant was that as I see it, where I am now, there would be no need for me to do it.
That was all. ;)

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
1) determine direction and type of fire -- if its directly at you return fire on way to cover- fix w fire -flank -and finish
2) if it isnt coming at you determine source- recon it -deal with it if necessary, if your mission is recon and you dont need to be seen dont engage. move around
3) if it is not a combat situation and just bubba after a deer and its a SHFT situation-- yer probably on his land - move away quickly and quietly

one of our favorites was to leave weapons behind, with the powder in the third round in the mag replaced by C4,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts