Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! I need your help everyone. Here's why.
On the ABC interview of Sarah Palin by Charles Gibson, he was asking her about the 2nd Amendment. He told her; That 70% of Americans want assault type weapons banned. He asked her if she'd support such a move?
Where in hell did he get that 70% from? I'd like to see that data!
Next: does anyone have the data that shows gun ownership broken down by race. (i.e.) How many Whites own guns, as opposed to Blacks,Hispanics, Asians, etc. ( it would be interesting to see who constitutes the larger faction of hunters as well )
What is the ratio of killings by race? How many whites kill other whites with guns, as opposed to black on black gun killings, asian to asian, hispanic to hispanic gun violence.
Cross reference that; How many whites kill blacks with guns, and vice versa?
What is the data, or ratio of guns used to commit violent crimes that are illegally owned/stolen? And what sector of the population commits these types of crimes the most?
Of all the legally owned firearms in the USA, how many of those owners with firearms commit firearm crimes?
And last, how many crimes yearly are committed with Black/"assault" rifles, and how many rounds were fired?

I find his 70% remark a bit hard to swallow!

I am sick and tired of the magazine fed, black finished, semi auto rifle being the whipping boy for every anti-gunners remarks!

I think Gibson showed his anti-gun stance with that remark and question!

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
RC, I couldn't stomach to watch that snob of a reporter interview her, so I didn't see it. I'd have to pull up the studies, but the facts support that the majority of gun violence occurs with hand guns, not assault rifles. What do you expect though, from the MSM. Don't waste your time with the oxygen thieves.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mad Dog

You are so right that he came off very snobby, and actually looked down his long nose at her through his reading glassed balanced on the tip of his nose! It was so obvious in his demeaner, what message he was trying to send to the viewers...

I also do not agree that he was unbiased or fair in his interview. He tried repeatedly to set her up, with "trap" questions. Which, she avoided beautifully!

I just did some interent searching for answers, but, only came up with basics!

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Sarah ATE HIM UP on that question... :)

Being as we we don't have Gun Registration, (yet) and have private sales, the only way to get numbers like your asking for would be Polls and slanted BS there is no way to get concrete numbers.

70% of Hippies and Liberals ! Not We the People.... But we don't count to them.

·
Banned
486 Posts
The guy was a prick. You could tell he wasnt gonna be fair since the first 1min they started the interview. Hes one of the biggest ass's in the media.

I almost spit my Ice-Tea all over my tv when I heard 70% I was like WTF where does this guy get his information. That was the most made up figure if ive ever heard of one.

The fact that these morons in Washington and in the media dont understand.

"If you outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns"!

·
Registered
969 Posts
70%want "look alike assault weapons" banned??? Absolute nonsense. The more likely and accurate application of a number like 70% is that 70% of Americans OWN one or more of these type of weapons and they AREN'T VOLUNTARILY GIVING THEM UP ANY TIME SOON.

Charles Gibson is as anti gun rights biased as they come in the media. I pray he gets violently mugged on the streets of New York someday.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The polls on how many americans are for assault weapons being banned are also biased and unreliable since a lot of people do not know what constitutes an assault weapon. They hear assault weapon and think fully auto machine gun and say oh yeah those are terrible.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The polls on how many americans are for assault weapons being banned are also biased and unreliable since a lot of people do not know what constitutes an assault weapon. They hear assault weapon and think fully auto machine gun and say oh yeah those are terrible.
And WE, the gun owners of America, contribute heavily to that misconception by referring to every MAK-90, SAR-1, MADDI etc as an AK-47. We don't call our AR15's, HBAR's or other Stoner semi-autos as M-16. Why in the world do we do it with the Kalashnikov's?

Allan - sorry - Pet Peeve

·
Transplant
355 Posts
I highly recommend anyone interested read a book called "More Guns, Less Crime". Lemme go get it... John R. Lott Jr. was the author.

It has statistical data from almost every county in the US, over a period of years and has been studied from a lot of different viewpoints, as it relates to criminal acts with and without firearms.

It's also a very interesting read, because he goes into the crap he had to deal with from the Gun-Banners. It gives you a little insight into how they think, and where they get some of these so called "statistics".

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Where do they get thier statistics? from thin air if you ask me. As far as Charles Gibson goes dang right he should ask the hard questions. I don't have a problem with that. I thought he way overplayed the part of interviewer.

What I didn't get was the glasses halfway down the nose. I have to wear glasses to see, it's not an option. If I wore my glasses like that, I couldn't see a freaking thing. Must be nice to not really need them.
Peter

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
My son did a paper on this issue for a law class. The use of assault weapons in crime was very low. Almost non existent. Most crimes are with illegal handguns. Very few crimes were with legally owned guns by the owner.

I will see if he still has is notes and where he took the stats from.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll bet some people think that my Nagants are assault weapons too. I think that the statistic should read "70% of pre-screened Democrats".

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
And WE, the gun owners of America, contribute heavily to that misconception by referring to every MAK-90, SAR-1, MADDI etc as an AK-47. We don't call our AR15's, HBAR's or other Stoner semi-autos as M-16. Why in the world do we do it with the Kalashnikov's?

Allan - sorry - Pet Peeve
"Evil" sounding names and or features are NOT the problem, it's the mentality that falls for it that is. When dealing with mental midgets that invent this stuff Nothing that makes sense or is based on Facts matters. They Lie, Twist and distort stuff to Scare people. Calling a AK a Powder puff with a cute puppy magazine will not help Anything !

We do not need to Hide reality to try to "Fit In" we need to Force the Anti's to use Facts and Reality... because they would soon be unemployed.

Accept No compromise. Shall Not be infringed is a Simple demand, with NO grey area.... Defend it 100% Always.

·
Registered
282 Posts
honestly i think most people dont even realize they can own a weapon i have several guns and so called assault weapons but i told a person once yes i have a 12 gauge ... and he told me don't you need a licsense to own one of those i was like wow! and i said you didnt know that once you turn 18 you can own any long rifle or shotgun. its amazing how the media has dumb founded most people in this country to think they cant even get or own guns

·
Registered
59 Posts
They get 70% by surveying more anti-gun folks than pro. Same wayt hey get the rest of it. When they want to make it seem as if mccain is more popular, they just talk to more republicans.

·
Registered
59 Posts
honestly i think most people dont even realize they can own a weapon i have several guns and so called assault weapons but i told a person once yes i have a 12 gauge ... and he told me don't you need a licsense to own one of those i was like wow! and i said you didnt know that once you turn 18 you can own any long rifle or shotgun. its amazing how the media has dumb founded most people in this country to think they cant even get or own guns
+100 on this. they don't realize they can own "assault weapons". ALOT of people i talk to tell me that its illegal, or that i have to register it. Infact, they still insist its illegal.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,300 Posts
I just did a poll in my office of my co-workers and 80% them don't want "assault type" weapons banned. I asked 10 people, 8 said "no" I wonder if dipsh!t's er... I mean, Charles Gibson's poll was done the same way? He just walks around his liberal media office and says to the first ten people he pays the salary of.... "do you like hideous evil assault rifles?"... 7 say "no" 3 laugh and get fired, but the "poll" gets to say 70% of Americans don't want assault rifles....

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
...I find his 70% remark a bit hard to swallow!
Here's a write up of the survey, and the survey was done by the Annenberg group in PA. They are an excellent polling operation, IMO. The poll did not try to define "assualt weapon" and instead left it up to the respondents to determine what that term means. I think many people don't understand the difference between semi-auto and full auto weapons. Still, it seems pretty clear that 71% of the US population want "assualt weapons" banned and that Charlie Gibson didn't just pick a number out of his rump.

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2004/apr/26/20040426-120608-4669r/

HippieSurvivalist

·
AFDQ
1,026 Posts
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States." -Noah Webster

1 - 20 of 42 Posts