Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,436 Posts
I think you are missing a VITAL point here! Mall "security" are NOT police! Therefore, they DO NOT have the rights to make WARRANTLESS SEARCHES! Therefore, I would think that if their "trained canines" were to "alert" on you WITHOUT your consent, then you have become a victim of a WARRANTLESS SEARCH and your RIGHTS have been VIOLATED!

Especially if you haven't demonstrated any PROBABLE CAUSE or signs of committing an illegal act.

Time to lawyer up and sue their pants off! You're gonna win the Lotto!
A dog search does not require a warrant. And they can rightfully ask you to leave. If you don't they can call actual police who will issue a trespass citation and march your ass off premises, willingly or not.

They do it all the time at my mall.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I think you are missing a VITAL point here! Mall "security" are NOT police! Therefore, they DO NOT have the rights to make WARRANTLESS SEARCHES! Therefore, I would think that if their "trained canines" were to "alert" on you WITHOUT your consent, then you have become a victim of a WARRANTLESS SEARCH and your RIGHTS have been VIOLATED!

Especially if you haven't demonstrated any PROBABLE CAUSE or signs of committing an illegal act.

Anybody can alert on you for any reason. A dog barking or sniffing dog isn’t actionable. They can’t detain you, except under citizens arrest, or possabally for shoplifting. But as long as they say don’t discriminate by race, they are free to ask you if you are committing a crime. They will NOT be endearing themselves to LE if they out every plainclothes and off duty LEO.

·
Super Moderator
14,776 Posts

I am no lawyer but at that point couldnt they just tell you to leave?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Why do I have this sudden urge to go to that mall and sprinkle gunpowder on all the seats and benches? Once that dog shoves his nose up a few Starbunk customers' rear ends, that nonsense will stop. Might take a camera to capture the action, put it on pootube.
I was thinking along the same lines. I have some old WW2 pulled powder I could waste just spreading it around the place. Putting it on chair seats was a good idea. Maybe use one of the Deer scent pads and tie it under your shoe after you soak it in Hoppe's overnight and leave a scent trail all over the Mall. This could be a lot of fun if you were bored. Maybe make a YT video of the dog tagging old ladies with gun powder on their butts. Or maybe pretty girls in short shorts and accuse the Mall Ninja of being a sex pervert.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines. I have some old WW2 pulled powder I could waste just spreading it around the place. Putting it on chair seats was a good idea. Maybe use one of the Deer scent pads and tie it under your shoe after you soak it in Hoppe's overnight and leave a scent trail all over the Mall. This could be a lot of fun if you were bored. Maybe make a YT video of the dog tagging old ladies with gun powder on their butts. Or maybe pretty girls in short shorts and accuse the Mall Ninja of being a sex pervert.
Spread mayhem in the mall... I'm in. It could be a lot of fun, although the likely hood of finding dogs outside of pocketbook varieties in the mall is about 99 to 1 against it happening.

Dogs and handlers are not cheap and you'd probably need 2 to cover a decent sized mall. My mom was head of security for a large department store and I'd be there at some closings at night. A van pulls up and a guy gets out with 2 dobermans, their food and a poopy box. People would hide in the store at night, wait until everyone left, grab their loot and smash through a window. The dogs did catch some people and treed them. But even 50 years ago, it was expensive.

15,333 Posts
I am no lawyer but at that point couldnt they just tell you to leave?
In all fairness, that is all they can do. Well that, and ban you from ever returning under threat of Trespass.

They may be able to detain someone under a shopkeeper's privilege, but that would only apply if they reasonably believe that the person in question committed an actual property crime. Otherwise the civil and possibly criminal consequences can result in a steep price.

·
Originalist
1,262 Posts
It’s really not about not being able to seal it. If you put something in a gas impermeable container, the smell will not leak out. Usually though, it’s nearly impossible to remove the residue. It only takes a very small number of molecules for a dog to smell something. The chances of a cartridge, magazine, holster, gun not having a large number of gunpowder particles on it even after a very thorough cleaning or next to zero.

a dog can smell powder inside a bullet. You can not seal drugs or contraband up tight enough to get passed dogs. They sniff very small amounts.

And he can tell if the smell is coming from the handler or the person he is sniffing.

also the handler can be unarmed.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
I rarely go into the mall. We have one local supposedly full of MS13, Crips and Bloods. I've never seen one. But I know the local county PD does patrol the mall now and then. I could see them bring in a dog to find a specific target, malls are a great place to get lost in.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've seen this at McCormick place (Chicago Auto show a few yrs back). Dog with a leo was sniffing people as they walking up to the main building.
On the way out the dog jumped up on a lady's backpack as we were leaving. We all had a laugh.
Leo didn't do anything probably figured she wasn't a threat.
The only thing that blew up that day was the clutch on a Mustang they were dynoing. Not Fords finest hour.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Spread mayhem in the mall... I'm in. It could be a lot of fun, although the likely hood of finding dogs outside of pocketbook varieties in the mall is about 99 to 1 against it happening.

Dogs and handlers are not cheap and you'd probably need 2 to cover a decent sized mall. My mom was head of security for a large department store and I'd be there at some closings at night. A van pulls up and a guy gets out with 2 dobermans, their food and a poopy box. People would hide in the store at night, wait until everyone left, grab their loot and smash through a window. The dogs did catch some people and treed them. But even 50 years ago, it was expensive.
if you got black and hispanic 2a activists and used video cameras you could use the identity politics of the left against them.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Dying malls driving away paying customers? Good business acumen these libbys. Online shopping doesn't have sniffer dogs.

Dumb asses. Driving business to online sales and competitors. An anchor chain should refuse them entry.

But those were likely JC Penney or Sears. So yeah.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Back in the days they had dogs in Germany that can tell if you’re Jews and there were training programs for dogs to detect if you’re Blacks in America. Those were darker hours in human history.

·
Super Moderator
14,776 Posts
Back in the days they had dogs in Germany that can tell if you’re Jews and there were training programs for dogs to detect if you’re Blacks in America. Those were darker hours in human history.
Can you provide a link on this? I cant find anything about it. I also dont understand how it would be possible.

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
3,957 Posts
Sounds like some made up crap to me.

ETA: Hawk beat me to it.

·
Super Moderator
14,776 Posts
I suppose that it would more believable to detect a person by the diet they consumed.
I actually could believe that and I was thinking that may work. However, that could also give back a lot of false postivies.

Reactions: Silver Pie
41 - 60 of 73 Posts