Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the big Tulsa gun show, and I am thinking about selling my Remington 870 Police shotgun. This is the older version with the steel top folding stock, and sights on the 21" barrel.

I have been searching for various online auctions to try and judge the market, but I cant find any comparable listings. Can anyone suggest a market price?
img-remington_870_top_folding_stock_mtf4900.gif

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
I checked around a little and not only could I not find that model, I couldn't find any reference to it, either.

Me personally? I'd put $12 to $1500.00 on it and see what I was offered. And be prepared to go lower as needed. It appears that the stock kit is aftermarket and not original to the gun. Was it made by a known gunsmith? Have the paperwork to show......

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
ALL SOMEBODY HAS...

I LOVE that Tulsa show.
IT is the only one I used to travel cross country to get to.
Back in the day, if you couldn't find it there you couldn't find it anywhere.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
WOW! The Gun Auction, and Guns USA prices for Remington 870 shotguns are crazy.

Asking $500 to $650 for used in good to fair condition. Thats for the normal wingmaster version with a standard wood stock. Some are asking $700 for used police guns.

Still not finding prices for the folding stock version, except someone is building reproduction top folding stocks for $120. Mine is marked law enforcement only, and looks like an original police issue, not a repo.

Guess thats what happens when the manufacturer gets sold, during a gun grabber administration.

I think I will start by asking $750 and dicker from there.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ALL SOMEBODY HAS...

I LOVE that Tulsa show.
IT is the only one I used to travel cross country to get to.
Back in the day, if you couldn't find it there you couldn't find it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
The older pre-express 870s are good guns, out here something like you described might go for $550 with a strait stock in real decent condition. I would sell the top folder separately for $150...

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you know if that is factory?
The stock, receiver, and barrel are marked Remington. The fore end is Pachmayr.

Frankly I had never seen or handled one of these before I bought this at a gun show three yrs ago.

I am strongly considering selling the top folding stock, buying a grey/black plastic but stock, keeping the gun.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
The stock, receiver, and barrel are marked Remington. The fore end is Pachmayr.

Frankly I had never seen or handled one of these before I bought this at a gun show three yrs ago.

I am strongly considering selling the top folding stock, buying a grey/black plastic but stock, keeping the gun.
Ya i'd sell the stock, it's useless. The pistol grip isn't comfortable to shoot and the top folder is even worse... (n)

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Go here and read this sale add;

And here;

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go here and read this sale add;

And here;

Those are really helpfull.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Do you remember who put them together?
His stock in his photos of his gun is a factory Remington stock. Remington sold a couple models of 870's with the stock, and sold the stock separately. It, like the mag extensions, was supposedly "law enforcement only", but that wasn't enforced, and they were common in the 70's and 80's. There were a couple of shotgun news sellers like J&G Rifle Ranch, that always had them. 50 bucks or so.

We had a few of them my department bought for detectives and SWAT, but as was said, they really sucked to shoot. The feds bought a lot of them, and I saw them often on joint raids.

Many ended up taking the metal off and just using it as a pistol grip, in the years before pistol grips were made and sold. I still have a couple of the stocks, one still NIB. Probably time to sell it, just like a ton of other stuff I have squirreled away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts