Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning out my gun range on my place so that we can practice. I've got it worked all out except for practical distances from the target to shoot at it. I've never shot at a range before, so I have no idea what would be some good distances to shoot from.

I have a "lane" behind the house where I am going to build my wall and embankment. I want to have to spots set up for shooting pistols from. One would be a practical distance to shoot from, the other a bit farther back to practice shooting targets. I'm going to mark the spot with a timber and a bench off to oneside out of the lane.

I also want to move farther back and have to spots set up to shoot my rifles from. The first would be the distance to shoot my AR from (a practical distance, that would be common in a fight). The other where I would build a shooting table to shoot targets and sight in scopes from.

I would have two "combat" distances, one for pistol and one for AR-15. The other two would be for "target" shooting and sighting in. Depending on the distance, I might have to reign in my longest distance. We have 10+ acres and its all wooded. If I get too far off on the long one, I might not be able to see the target when the fall garden is growing. :)

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated it. I'm starting working on it this weekend. Thank you.

HiPoopus

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
My local gun club rifle range has stationary concrete shooting benches with target stands at 50, 100 and 200 yards.
Our pistol ranges are set up with with yardage markers starting a three yards from the target stand and ending at 50. Any longer shots can be done at the rifle range.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, that will help allot. I'll stake it all out after we get started clearing it back. I'm going to pour concrete footer at the wall later and build a bullet catcher to recyle the lead into more bullets. Other than that, I'll leave it rustic looking. I'll build some benches along the way at shooting points to park ammo and guns on and maybe my tired old arse. Thanks again.

HiPoopus

1 - 3 of 3 Posts