Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Learn something every day
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. I see a lot of separation on the subject of Motor (Synthetic, ATF) oil use on firearms. What about micro lubes?

Zmax, Dura lube etc. I know these lubricants work very well and will last for quite some time. I used some Dura lube on a squeaky door hinge once and it kept quiet for years.

Obviously, this type of lube should be used after the "break-in" period. "Gun Juice" is a product I've seen at gun shows and it is a micro lube.

Also I've tried Ballistol, Hickok45 swears by it. I've found that it loses viscosity and doesn't feel as slippery. I've used CLP for the longest time, considering it's G.I.

Any thoughts?

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,956 Posts
Here's my thoughts:

Most people use to much oil.

The biggest cause of friction in a gun isn't from the wrong lubricant but from dirt, sand, and other abrasives

These things can stick to oil and make your problems worse, doesn't matter how good or expensive your lubricant is if it has sand in it!

Micro lubes.....so long as it has good lubricating properties is fine.......so long as it's applied in the right manner to the right parts

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
Vigilant Curmudgeon
720 Posts
"Weapon shield" is a good ( one of the best kept secrets) all around lube.★☆★☆★
STEEL SHIELD Industries in Bethel Park, Penna. Makes it, and the gease they make is really the right thickness, for all sliding, - surfaces. Grease has a plunger & needle point applicator.
Products as these...are kind 'a like....breakfast cereal. My fav. Is different than yours, but it does the same thing.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

Think I'm good for this week full can of LAW, case of TW-25b, other odds and ends.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been using this for while: FireClean

Without a doubt the best gun lube/cleaner I've ever used. I put 4 drops total on my USP about 5 months ago and haven't reapplied since. I carry it everyday, took it to the range a few days ago and noticed after going through one mag the gun was dripping, literally dripping oil. Took it home and wiped it clean with a napkin, reapplied a few drops (they say to only use two). It's more expensive but it last so much longer so it evens out. Check out the Amazon reviews, 100% recommended.

·
Registered
415 Posts
:rolleyes:I use magical unicorn tears from the forbidden forest to lube my guns.

Seriously, just clean and use what is handy for lubrication. I'm not sure but I don't think there is any magic snake oil out there for firearms. Clean and lube.:thumb:
True words. Whatever ya got will do in a pinch. I just took my tractor in for an oil leak. Hydraulic oil got so low that it wouldn't steer so I put some diesel motor oil in there to top it off enough so I could get it loaded on the flatbed. I got to the shop and told the guy to dump it and use fresh because of what I had done but he said not to worry - it will continue to operate just fine. I suspect that gun oil is similar in many respects.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
Hoppes #9 is good. I also have a small bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and use an invitro cannula on the top. I can apply the smallest amount where I need it. Any excess oil of any type is just a magnet for dust, dirt, etc.

·
Near The Glow
901 Posts
I’ve been using a combination of Ultra Lube and G96. It’s been working very well, and it smells good to boot. I’ve used Rem Oil to good effect in the past as well, and I keep a bottle of Hoppe’s when I need a thicker lube.

I’ve found the Garand enjoys Brian Enos’s Slide Glide for sure.

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
I am loosely incharge of my BSA Councils firearms - 18 Savage Mk I, 5 Savage Rascals and a dozen shotguns. During our 6 weeks of summer camp they get used A lot - 25k rounds of 22 lr and 15k rounds of 20 gauge.

During the week they're cleaned by scouts as part of merit badge class for this we've switched to Ballistol mostly because it's reasonably priced and almost totally non-toxic. They get wiped down with ballistol 2 - 3 times a day. Lotta sweaty paws on these guns day in and day out.

Over the weekend staff cleans the rifles with Ed's Red - especially the bolts and there is quite a bit of stuff comes out of them. They were doing the shotguns but found it wasn't needed.

Layup over the winter is Ed's Red with a light coat of 30 wt motor oil done by camp rangers - pretty much weather we want them to do it or not

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you feel the need for grease - Mobil 1 Synthetic is second to none on the market but if you feel the need for something that will stay in place, protect, lubricate and not "stain" your clothing - then either Hornady One-Shot gun cleaner and lube or Hornady One-Shot HD-Extreme will be your ticket.

If you live near the coast, then Hornady HD-Extreme will give a little more peace of mind relative to corrosion protection. You might find some items that can perform as well as the Hornady products, but you won't find any product that will perform better.

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,668 Posts
Oil is oil.
I like MPro7 oil, SLP2000 and good'ol Hoppe's oil. But if you want a lifetime supply of good oil that stays where you put it, doesn't dry out and get gummy.......Mobil1.
Oil is oil.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
Also with any oil, less is more. More oil attracts dust, grit, spent powder, etc. I'm partial to Mystery Oil as it smells good, had a coating that stays where you put it and the excess wipes off well. I always use an old piece of flannel, cheesecloth or bore wipes, nothing that carries lint.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
George Fennell makes weaponshield. It's a proven product. Fennell has gotten very quirky in the last few years, but he knows his stuff, and has the track record to prove it, along with the customer list.

Bruce Gray has recently really pushed Lucas extreme gun oil and grease, and followed and measured wear on competition shooters Sig pistols. He states the product truly is a step above all the others he's tried over the years. I've known Bruce for almost a decade, and he's not one to push something he doesn't believe in , or just for the money.

G96 synthetic gets a nod from the military and .mil customers, and I know of no-one who has issues with it.

ALG go juice had the misfortune of being introduced during a time which biolubes were being given a bad name by lawsuits etc. and it lacks a lot of data, but I've liked how it's done in the past for me. I do not know Bill G personally.

·
Old Grouch
729 Posts
I use Mobil-1 synthetic and CLP.

Another option is to use Ed's Red Lubricant:
1 part K1 kerosene
1 part ATF

Tupelo Ordnance Lube:
1 part Mobil-1 synthetic
1 part STP
2 parts ATF

1 - 20 of 84 Posts