Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may end up with folks you don't know, or you think you know based on split second compassion. There is nothing wrong with that. Jesus said to give the a cup of water right? Perhaps its your own brother, sister or parents? An aunt or uncle you thought you knew? They can all turn on you.

But what if they turn on you and want your supplies? Ready to rob you and take what is yours?

I know lots of folks have gun safes, and don't need to worry.

If SHTF what are your preps for keeping control of your arms and ammo. It only takes a second for someone that you thought you could trust to grab one and draw down on you. Happens in every B movie out there, so the weak have been trained to ruin everything from birth.

We have the following:

Trigger locks for every weapon.
Gang chain and locks in a couple lengths.

In storage the non primarys have trigger locks. If they come out of storage they will be kept under watch and locked to a gang chain.

Ammo is to be moved to a new location and kept under watch and lockdown.

We also keep several prs of handcuffs and leg irons, as well as transport irons, and gang chains. (related to my work) We fully intend to enforce basic current law within our own reach and control area. Authority will exist and be respected until ongoing LE and courts are restored. With nowhere to house or feed prisoners they will be kept until they can be taken far away and released back into the wild so to speak.

These are the hard questions no one is asking.

Can you even control your own situation?

·
Registered
816 Posts
the only problem with keeping everything locked up is that YOU can't get to it in a hurry either, if you need to.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only problem with keeping everything locked up is that YOU can't get to it in a hurry either, if you need to.
We are only talking about the non primary weapons and ammo. Some folks feel like its OK to hand these out to others.

The primarys are on a sling. These are the second and third rifles and ammo.

Now you have family, friends and possibly neighbors and strangers.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew this would be a tough one for folks to think about. Its the double edged blade with no handle.

You have those near and dea you may need to cut loose. You may have some with needed skill sets that can't be fully trusted. You may have some go off the deep end and not be able to deal with their mental illnesses.

Someone will need to maintain control. How to folks intend to to this?

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
I knew this would be a tough one for folks to think about. Its the double edged blade with no handle.

You have those near and dea you may need to cut loose. You may have some with needed skill sets that can't be fully trusted. You may have some go off the deep end and not be able to deal with their mental illnesses.

Someone will need to maintain control. How to folks intend to to this?
Well in my family i think had cuffing and shackes are definitly ---OUT

except for fun.............:upsidedown:

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
No, I think you're bringing up a good point, in fact I've already wondered about how to deal with a group of family/freinds and posibly others, as far as my "toys" are concerned. On one hand, you have the safety in numbers thing, so I'd be tempted to hand everyone a rifle. On the other hand, what do you do when they decide they'd like to hit the road and try their luck elsewhere,and not relinquish the gun they've now taken a proprietary view of, especially if it's a family member? :confused:

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Absolutely positively lock up the weapons if others are around.

You may have to make some harsh Captain Bligh decisions and you definately don't want others (especially those invited on the spurr) to mutiny--which is made easier when they've got access to you boomsticks.

I'm going to go a step further--not only a gun safe is the best idea, but said gun-safe should not be accessable to anyone other than you and your significant other/s.

Actually your weapons should be cached... I suggest that some of those walk-in closets, or small hall closest be shortened or suddenly dissapear with some wall-board, spackle, texture spray and paint. I suggest you have your secret room or space ready in the next month or so just in case.

I especially suggest you not take anyone in--except family that you can stand to be around. The neighbors are not in your lifeboat, not unless they are also been doing some preprations and can watch your six, and you vise versa.

Also most importantly.... If you have someone in your lifeboat with firearms--you really have to be able to trust this person or persons with your goods, family and your life. Never, ever under any circumstance take in anyone that you do not have a personal relationshiop with into your trust who is bringing firearms into your equation. They could be anybody. Persons like this even though they seem good natured should be kept at arms lenght until trust can be established. Perhaps you can scrounge an abandoned camper trailer or motorhome and bring it onto the propety for them to live in--but not in your dwelling.

T

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
No, I think you're bringing up a good point, in fact I've already wondered about how to deal with a group of family/freinds and posibly others, as far as my "toys" are concerned. On one hand, you have the safety in numbers thing, so I'd be tempted to hand everyone a rifle. On the other hand, what do you do when they decide they'd like to hit the road and try their luck elsewhere,and not relinquish the gun they've now taken a proprietary view of, especially if it's a family member? :confused:

I say either we die as a family or we fight as a family, to me its unthinkable

to not let a friend or family member have something they need.

Be smart about it, store stuff no one knows about and that way if you ever have to cross this bridge you can act humanly because

you still have your other stash.

Let em go, and avoid a fight .

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(QUOTE)"I say either we die as a family or we fight as a family, to me its unthinkable to not let a friend or family member have something they need."

I wasn't suggesting leaving family out in the cold, in fact we've been prepping extra becasue we know we have family close by that isn't on board.
But food is one thing. I'll be damned if I'm going to let one of my cousins or nephews march off into the sunset with one of my AK's 'cause they decided they don't want to dig holes, carry water or do midnight watches any more.:cool:

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I agree with the opening post, to a point. I don't think it is my place to enforce local martial law with leg irons and hand cuffs, but I will run my home for da** sure. To me, what it boils down to is that every ship must have a captain. I am planning for a SHTF situation so I don't have to submit myself to the authority of the captain of another ship. If a family member needs to subsist off of my provisions, they must recognize that I am the King of Sapperland, end of story.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(QUOTE)
But food is one thing. I'll be damned if I'm going to let one of my cousins or nephews march off into the sunset with one of my AK's 'cause they decided they don't want to dig holes, carry water or do midnight watches any more.:cool:
This is exactly what I was getting at. Why would we allow them constant access to weapons? Should not an officer determine when they are disbursed and collect them again when need passes?

The Mutiny can erupt over nothing in a stressful environ. These are not trained soldiers, they are your family with varying levels of coping skills.

·
Registered
801 Posts
We have gun safes and have no desire to arm "extended family"... our place is not a democracy and it won't become one.

Most of my extended family says, "we hate guns" so I'll tell them to **** off, they disrespect us enough already and I'm not going to argue... this includes an ******* cop and a colonel who will follow orders against thepeople before using their brains.

I get a hard time from extended family because WE CARRY; they are not invited to my survival party as they laugh at our preparations. I trust my freinds 100%... but never family (I didn't get to choose them).

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
This is exactly what I was getting at. Why would we allow them constant access to weapons? Should not an officer determine when they are disbursed and collect them again when need passes?

The Mutiny can erupt over nothing in a stressful environ. These are not trained soldiers, they are your family with varying levels of coping skills.
This is what I was talking about in my last post. If people are coming to your "survival party" as Raptor calls it, then you are the Supreme Allied Commander of your house. YOU are that officer who hands out your weapons if there is some unlikely need to arm everyone. I know this is where you are going, but if someone isn't prepared to act in that capacity, then they may as well hand over everything to someone who can.

Note: I hope we're not talking about some sort of Lord of the Flies, conquer and kill, might makes right scenario. I'm not down with that.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
...Why would we allow them constant access to weapons? Should not an officer determine when they are disbursed and collect them again when need passes?
The Mutiny can erupt over nothing in a stressful environ..
If you took me in, and I went crazy, you might prefer I had the AK. I'm certain I'm not the only one on this board, who if went crazy, would be dangerous with even something as simple as a toothpick.

I think the best thing to do is not worry about it. There has be a basic level of trust in anyone that stays around while you are asleep.

It might suck to have that AK of yours head off in the hands of a prior community member. However, perhaps from their point of view, they "earned" it. How many ditches did they dig, or how many hours of nightwatch did they perform, and how were they compensated?

A good solid contract sealed with a firm handshake should eliminate this issue. If every party knows exactly what they are expected to do, and what they will recieve for that service, then the likelyhood of problems is diminished.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Note: I hope we're not talking about some sort of Lord of the Flies, conquer and kill, might makes right scenario. I'm not down with that.

Good point. We are not down with that madness either. At the threshold of full arms preps, we are now working our way back down the scale to include multiple types of less lethal as the second phase of armament. Those will not be handed out either.

We believe that the less lethal weapons may be the full extent needed in some of the lower key, trouble times.:thumb:

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I'd make sure everthing was under lock and key. This may sound rather harsh but I'd have one loaner gun for unarmed relatives that showed up unexpectedly. it would be a gun I could do without.

One unarmed relatives shows up he gets it to himself, six relatives show up they will have to share...and keep an eye on each other to make sure no one decides to abscond with their only means of defense....If one does then the rest will have to track him down to get their gun back....LOL
Actually given my relatives I seriously doubt they will show up with out their own means of defense...That should keep it simple....

Reactions: Brew

·
Registered
7 Posts
don`t brag around, and keep the weapons close and concealed, because in life/dead situations good friends can turn 180, if you can afford, multiple stashes.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
(QUOTE) I'll be damned if I'm going to let one of my cousins or nephews march off into the sunset with one of my AK's 'cause they decided they don't want to dig holes, carry water or do midnight watches any more.:cool:
Why is does your cousin have the AK just before sunset? Isn't the AK for "the guy on watch"?

In this simple example, revolve the specific firearm into the hands of the next person performing the task. That way a single person doesn't get used to the idea that it is theirs; instead it is the tool for the task at hand.

Consider doing this for things like canteens, or even warm weather clothing.

And, to play Devil's advocate, why not let the cousin run off with the AK? Could consider trailing behind to see if he ends up getting all shot up within a mile of your place. Knowing what might be coming your way, at the cost of an AK vs. your life, might be considered a bargain.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is more of what I was getting at. One appointed officer of law. The rest being under lock and key and issued for assignments. The idea of other items being treated the same is a very good one as well. Props for the constructive thinking.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts