Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I couldn't find the answer on the NRA website. Here goes:

When you purchase a rifle or shotgun, whether from wally world or a gun show, do they report to the government what you buy?
If I go to a gun show (NC) and purchase a semi auto shotgun, I know they call in to make sure I can have a weapon. But is that all they do? Do they tell whoever they call what it is I'm buying, other than saying it's a long gun?

I ask this because you don't have to have a permit in NC to own or purchase a rifle or shotgun. I know each time you purchase one, they do the background check on you.
But if they don't say what you purchased exactly, how would the gubbernet know? If they came door to door searching for weapons, how would they know what you have or not have?
When I purchased my shotgun at wally world, I noticed they wrote it all down in a book. Nothing was put in a computer.
When I purchased my S12 at a gun show, all it had on my receipt was 'long fire arm'. I don't know if the dealer then returned to their brick & mortar and placed that info in a computer or not.

I guess I'm hoping if the gubbernet wants to take our guns, and they confiscate all dealers records, that maybe these same dealers will 'lose' the records by accident if they are not backed up on a 'puter. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have been present while the clerk calls in the NIC check. No mention is made at that time what you are purchasing, it's strictly a red light/green light as to whether you can purchase.

There is a form you fill out that lists which firearm you are purchasing, it (supposedly) is not sent to any .gov without a warrant specific to that firearm.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
The way I understand it from a friend who is an FFL is they don't know per the insta-check what you are buying only that you are trying to buy.
It is assumed once approval is given the transaction is completed.
Then you fill out 4473 and the dealer is supposed to hold it for ready inspection by ATF anytime they want it for 20 or 25 years.
I think after that the FFL can bag it, shred it, burn it, pee on it or paper his house with it.
It doesn't matter, ATF make regular audits of dealers paperwork inventory and contrary to what they will tell you they make copies of the 4473 forms.
In short they know what you have if you bought it from a dealer or they will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts