Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hopin you guys can maybe help me out with a decision.

I own a Ruger Mini 30 Tactical (581) that I can't decide on if I want to sell or not. I also have 4 SKS's and an AK. (But I prefer the SKS's)

My current thought process is based on a SHTF rifle. Should I sell the gun for about a grand? (Which is what theyre going for on gunbroker (1100-1200ish) And buy tons of ammo and stripper clips for the SKS's? While also making a profit from what I bought it for a year ago?

Because when I think about it, the SKS's can do everything the mini can, besides shooting 20 rounds instead of fixed 10. And I also would have to invest in a few more magazines if I kept the Mini, being I only have 1 (20 rounder). And theyre about 50-60 a pop.

I'm sure you all get these questions alot, but it's been on my mind and I figured who else am I to ask than you guys? Lol Any thoughts are appreciated. :thumb:

·
I'M READY!!
4,294 Posts
depends on how much ammo you have stored. If I was you? I'd sell it and get more 7.62x39 stored away for a rainy day. Can't ever have too much ammo IMO

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's the way i'm leaning. I just don't wanna get rid of a gun that could be worth a bit more in say, 5 years from now. The SKS's I have do have a chrome lined barrel unlike the mini as well, which makes a difference in my eyes. I have about half the amount of rounds I want to feel safe atm.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
Never sale a gun you like. You will always regret it. If you need money get a second job but don't sell the gun. Especially right now when the fate of being able to buy guns like that is in jeopardy. On the other hand, ammo is just as important as the gun. So if you must, sale something else, like one if your SKS that you have multiple of, or again get a second job.

Good luck

·
The Celtic Prepper
927 Posts
I'd sell. $1,000 is a crap ton of ammo. Once it stops coming in or gets taxed it's going to get expensive.
At best, that's about 4k rds of 7.62x39...VERY best. Even @ $250/1k at AIM you're paying about another $25/case to ship.

If you're hurting for ammo, it's not a bad idea. If you're not, I wouldn't recommend it. I've recently considered getting rid of a gun I have, but I really think I'd regret it later, so I'm going to hold on.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At best, that's about 4k rds of 7.62x39...VERY best. Even @ $250/1k at AIM you're paying about another $25/case to ship.

If you're hurting for ammo, it's not a bad idea. If you're not, I wouldn't recommend it. I've recently considered getting rid of a gun I have, but I really think I'd regret it later, so I'm going to hold on.
Never sale a gun you like. You will always regret it. If you need money get a second job but don't sell the gun. Especially right now when the fate of being able to buy guns like that is in jeopardy. On the other hand, ammo is just as important as the gun. So if you must, sale something else, like one if your SKS that you have multiple of, or again get a second job.

Good luck
It's not an easy decision, and I do love this little gun. My dad left me the SKS's, and I don't think I could bring myself to sell any of them, kinda priceless ya know? Though maybe I will find something else to sell. Might not be $1000, but it'll be something. I just don't want to wait too long, who knows what the next law may be. Either way, I'll chime in and say what I decided when I do. Thanks for the responses everybody. :thumb: appreciate it

·
Banned
487 Posts
speaking from experience YOU WILL CRY YOUSELF TO SLEEP SOME NIGHTS IF YOU SELL.. KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE AND BUY MORE. SELL THE STEREO,TV,MOTORCYCLE,EXTRA CAR ETC. BUT I REALLY WOULDNT SELL ANY GUNS.excuse the caps.

·
Who is #1?
2,043 Posts
IMO this all depends on what SKS's you have.

Do you have a Russian SKS 45 in a laminated stock?
If you do then that's not the same as an run of the mill
SKS 56 in the 18 million production range.

In other words if you have a bunch of run of the mill SKS's
with spike bayonets then why not just sell them 300 each.
Know what I mean?

Another thing to consider is that the Mini -30 is it's not as popular
as the Mini-14 and it may go out of production in the future.

For what it's worth...personally I'd sell it. And just so you know I actually
really wanted one of those but it just did not make sense to me compared
to getting an SKS to shoot 7.62x39.

·
The Celtic Prepper
927 Posts
It's not an easy decision, and I do love this little gun. My dad left me the SKS's, and I don't think I could bring myself to sell any of them, kinda priceless ya know? Though maybe I will find something else to sell. Might not be $1000, but it'll be something. I just don't want to wait too long, who knows what the next law may be. Either way, I'll chime in and say what I decided when I do. Thanks for the responses everybody. :thumb: appreciate it
Who gives a crap what the next law will be? - It will be unconstitutional, therefore you have an obligation to stand against it.

Not an inch.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Okay, slightly different answer.

Sell the AK and keep the Mini.

The SKS and Mini are better "rifles" than the AK.
Are more accurate with good ammo.

And the Minis are easier to rebuild.

(Flame on)

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhhhh! All these opinions! Lol you all have such good suggestions. But, I totally went a different way with it:

To start out, I do have a Russian 1950 Tula SKS. I also have a standard Type 56 that was passed on from my grandpa, to my dad, then to me. I have a Yugo (beautiful wall hanger), and an M21 (0296) SKS that's in what looks like brand new shape. It's a little collection my dad and I started to put together a few years back. And well, I've decided to add on to it..

I've decided to sell my Mini, hopin to get a 1100 at the next gun show here in Waukesha, WI in two weeks. Because, I just purchased myself a nice Sino-Soviet in an original jungle stock that I just couldn't pass up. Got her for $500. It's definitely one I've been lookin for for a long time, and just happened to come across it. A need be for the collection I promised my dad I would add on to. So, I have to sell the mini, and I'll have $500 to spend on ammo.

I know, I know, i'll be kickin myself some day for getting rid of it, but you know what, I don't really have a use for it, and I can make a profit, and I do need ammo as well.

If, anyone is interested in buyin her for 1100$ and you're in the southeast WI area let me know. Only have 50 rounds through her. One synthetic stock, one wood, one 20 round mag, one 5.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Just had to do what was most important to me. And I do desperately need the ammo, and well, kinda jumped for joy when I saw the sino.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, slightly different answer.

Sell the AK and keep the Mini.

The SKS and Mini are better "rifles" than the AK.
Are more accurate with good ammo.

And the Minis are easier to rebuild.

(Flame on)
That would have been a pretty good idea, but, well, what's done is done. I do have about 20 mags for the FEG AMD though, it's dura-coated, UltiMak rail, Bushnell microdot, its a pretty nice set up that i really do enjoy, and have a couple bucks invested. Gotta hang on to that one cause it might not be around someday.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
speaking from experience YOU WILL CRY YOUSELF TO SLEEP SOME NIGHTS IF YOU SELL.. KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE AND BUY MORE. SELL THE STEREO,TV,MOTORCYCLE,EXTRA CAR ETC. BUT I REALLY WOULDNT SELL ANY GUNS.excuse the caps.
Haha I already.. uhh.. Sold all of those LOL :eek:

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I would dump the Mini in a heartbeat and keep the SKS carbines. I would also keep the AK and scope it too. Yep, mount a scope on an AK to enhance its overall accuracy, not turn it into a sniper rifle. It is also easier to scope the AK than the SKS carbines unless you plan to shoot using a scope offset to the left so that you can load using your stripper clips. Since the AK loads from the bottom and mounting a scope on an AK involves a left side mount, you don't have to worry about the scope getting in the way of your loading process at all. Just an idea for you to consider.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would dump the Mini in a heartbeat and keep the SKS carbines. I would also keep the AK and scope it too. Yep, mount a scope on an AK to enhance its overall accuracy, not turn it into a sniper rifle. It is also easier to scope the AK than the SKS carbines unless you plan to shoot using a scope offset to the left so that you can load using your stripper clips. Since the AK loads from the bottom and mounting a scope on an AK involves a left side mount, you don't have to worry about the scope getting in the way of your loading process at all. Just an idea for you to consider.
Right now I have the bushnell microdot on her, might consider putting something magnified on. Thanks :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts