Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three siblings, there are four of us. I however only have three guns worth taking to hunt deer this season. I want to add a fourth gun so we can all carry our own weapon.

We already have the following
Lee Enfield Bolt Action Rifle .303 - My Rifle
12 Gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun - Brother's Rifle
Winchester .30-30 - Other brother's rifle

Now I need a shotgun or a rifle for my 14 year old sister. She's 5 foot 2 and weighs 100 pounds. I don't want anything to big or too heavy.

I don't have any ideas, what should I look for?

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
whats your sisters level of shooting, how much shooting has she done......ie: alot, some or none

how comfortable is she shooting ?

personally I would start withh 22 cal

whats the purpose of her having a gun defence or hunting....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats your sisters level of shooting, how much shooting has she done......ie: alot, some or none

how comfortable is she shooting ?

personally I would start withh 22 cal

whats the purpose of her having a gun defence or hunting....
We have a couple .22s and air rifles. She knows how to shoot, she can hit a can at about 20 yards.

The purpose is for hunting. She's been hunting before, but had to use someone elses' gun.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got a .243 last year and I was surprised how much it doesn’t kick. I took it to a class, went through about 15 boxes of factory ammo (95 grain bullet) in 2 days, each shot in complete comfort. I could not have done that with a .308. Mine is a heavy barrel, but they come in lightweight versions also.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She loveth the winchester.

I'll go check out the .243, but will that thing take down a deer with a good shot, or will the deer run a bit before it goes down?

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
.44 mag or .357 lever gun.

it will take down a deer at under 100 yds easy. fun to shoot. cheap ammo (compared to rifle ammo)

if you have a revolver in either go with that, for ammo ease.

T

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I have three siblings, there are four of us. I however only have three guns worth taking to hunt deer this season. I want to add a fourth gun so we can all carry our own weapon.

We already have the following
Lee Enfield Bolt Action Rifle .303 - My Rifle
12 Gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun - Brother's Rifle
Winchester .30-30 - Other brother's rifle

Now I need a shotgun or a rifle for my 14 year old sister. She's 5 foot 2 and weighs 100 pounds. I don't want anything to big or too heavy.

I don't have any ideas, what should I look for?
14 year old??? I'd consider a .30 Carbine... It has energy similar to a .44Mag. It's accurate enough for deer out to 150 yds or so. It's a sweetheart to shoot (very little recoil). 30 round mags are readily available for it; should this become a Bug-out weapon in the future. Ammo is fairly available. It's light weight to carry. The only down side might be the price...

This would give you a Main Battle Rifle (Enfield), a Shotgun, a backup to the Enfield in a very common chambering and then the .30 Carbine gives you high round count semi-auto fire for perimeter defense should the need ever arise.

Allan

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
get a 12ga. single shot then use very low power shells like aquila 1.5 inch shells.

·
legendary ape
471 Posts
My niece has a chinese sks I parted with at the time she was 12 and only slightly shorter then your sis. She handles it just fine. I dont feel an sks has any amount of recoil to be worried about. It will take down mid sized game, I've taken elk with one, and a yugo sks is my favorite pig gun. Not great at long range compared to a bolt action deer rifle but it will work and she really cant break it without alot of effert.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts