Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a phone call from my grandmother, I have recently started to help get her prepared. She lost her job recently and her $700 SS payment got cut by $200. When she called to find out why, they said she owed them $1000. No explanation, waiting on the good ol legal system now. She came to me because she knows my mentality and preparing ways. Gladly help.

Anyway she was talking to a distant relative of mine and mentioned that i have been trying to get her prepared. He said that he was too, and took her to a backroom in his house. She said that he had thirty days worth of "k-rations", which i am assuming were MREs. She said he also had lots of other stuff, "Just about all you could imagine."

This relative happens to be a member of the HOA of their neighborhood, has a job at the nearby base, and is a member of the EMA (isnt that missing a F). She said he has a "Emergency Use Ony" vehicle and meetings at a fallout shelter weekly/monthly (cant remember). He asked her if I would be interested in coming down and being a guest speaker at some meeting in the future.

I really dont know what to do at the moment. I mean he is obviously connected with the government. He is obviously preparing too. But EMA and FEMA, you cant spell one without the other. I am confident that i know who he will side with come time for Civilian Internment Programs. But then again, could this maybe be an opening to better things i.e. access to equipment, maybe learn some valuable intel. Would that be worth possibly being put on a radar?

My question is this, If you were offered to come in and be a guest speaker at EMA meetings, what would you do and what would you talk about, if you go?

P.S. i think i may need to talk to gma about OPSEC. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Just my personal thought(s) would be to not do it.
You mentioned the EMA troop is a distant relative, so maybe have a talk w/him and really play down everthing...GMaw exaggerated, worried about all the tornado's, so you wanted to have a little extra on hand for both of you , etc.

Just my thoughts.

P.S. Yep, need to to have a talk w/Granny!

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts exactly. I have never been one to advertise anything. I have worked hard to keep under the radar. The only thing i have is my drivers license and my discharge papers. No account, no paperwork. But cant we learn from this, i have a comfirmed source that government officials are stocking up. We all already knew this, but my gma did not. Now i think she is going to take it a little more serious. It cant be just crazy people if the EMA is doing it.

I am going gray man for sure. I always have. I always will. I kinda put this up as hypothical situation/ report of government stocking up. But yes, IT PAYS TO STAY GRAY!!

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Your granny may have already outed you... And the relative, too

I'd get in touch with the relative directly and see exactly what he wants, and why. After all, unless you're an expert, or he's desperate, it would seem odd to me he'd want someone of uncertain qualifications, knowledge, and leanings to talk to his group. This also might give you a chance to sound him out; it may be you're wrong about which side he butters his bread. You'll never know unless you probe subtly...

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, for confirming what i already felt. Luckily that very distant relative, does not and will not know where i live, also i have maybe only been around him two maybe three times, in my life. I am definitely letting grandma know about OPSEC. I doubt she did any harm, but i will prevent any chance of that in the future. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BTW, if your grandmother has a Social Security overpayment, she received notices about it giving her an opportunity to appeal or negotiate the withholding amount. If she was working and drawing at the same time, she probably earned over the limit and failed to report it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'd say go ahead and do it. Just don't start off saying "this is what I've done". Say based on my research.... It's not a bad thing to network. If you really think the Gov't is all that powerful, you are already on their list. This distant relative already knows you prep, just like you know he does.

You can pass on information without revealing what you have or where you live.
Plus there is a good chance you'll learn some of what the gov't plans are. Really I see it as a win-win situation. You may learn something new, you get to "network/meet others who are interested in Prepping and they don't live in the local area.

People need to understand that OPSEC is a double edge sword. It can harm you or protect you. There is a balance.

Not to make you paranoid, but if I was the government I could find you just by the info you gave in your post :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
While I hope you're right and he doesn't know where you live, Gramma probably already told him your name. If he has a state too, he's probably knows more than you want.

As for the EMA topic, I would probably say he's the expert not me and I wasn't sure what I knew more about than them.

Good luck getting Gramma to shut up. We have one relative that won't shut up (so close I can't get rid of her coming to visit) and tells everyone stuff. We've tried talking to her, emailing her to explain what she says isn't appropriate, etc. Nothing works. If you figure out a good way to get people to shut up about supplies, please post it. I could use another suggestion to try (other than violence that would land me in jail....)

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I hope you're right and he doesn't know where you live, Gramma probably already told him your name. If he has a state too, he's probably knows more than you want.

As for the EMA topic, I would probably say he's the expert not me and I wasn't sure what I knew more about than them.

Good luck getting Gramma to shut up. We have one relative that won't shut up (so close I can't get rid of her coming to visit) and tells everyone stuff. We've tried talking to her, emailing her to explain what she says isn't appropriate, etc. Nothing works. If you figure out a good way to get people to shut up about supplies, please post it. I could use another suggestion to try (other than violence that would land me in jail....)
Well i talked to gma today. I explained to her that you DO NOT tell people about your preparation. I explained to her that i told her about it in order for her to be prepared. Once i explained the danger you could put yourself into, by tellin the wrong person the wrong thing, she seemed to understand. I asked her why would i come speak to the people who are supposed to be in charge of a situation? Arent they getting paid and trained to prepare? She really didnt have a good reason. The ony thing she said that she said was, "i told him that you have camping supplies with food and water. I also said that you have been trying to help me get a bag together." She said the he asked if i would want to come meet and maybe talk to some of the other EMA guys. She said he asked that because we might have ideas that we could help one another with. Well thanks gma for being considerate but lets not do that again. I do feel she understands, she said that she wouldnt tell other people about her bag or mine. She asked if it was a bad thing to talk about. I told her it really depends on who youre talking too, but in general not as bad as it is secret. Bad nonetheless. I know she did not tell him where i live, she more than know better than that. I still wish she didnt say anything, but what you gonna do? I am confident that i will not talk to them, i am going to leave it to the "professionals".

If only i knew how to get rid of yappy people? The one thing i have done though, is not talk to many people except a select few. Even more select on who come over, much less in, my house. I still talk to and help my neighbors, i am not a hermit, but even they dont ever come in my house. 99% of them time when i talk to/help them, it is at their house. So my best answer for that is just quit talking to the people who bring negativity in your life.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, to each his own I guess, but I really don't think there's suddenly going to be a huge government operation to raid and capture your supplies. I'm a member of a DMAT team which technically makes my employer the US Department of Health and Human Services and I find it very informative and love the fact that occasionally I privy to info the general public is not. I say get involved and see what you can learn.

Trust me, the government already knows that you exist, sorry

OPSEC is great and all but I personally find it hard to attepmt to get others (sheeple) onboard if I'm always afraid of my own shadow.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just got a phone call from my grandmother...

This relative happens to be a member of the HOA of their neighborhood, has a job at the nearby base, and is a member of the EMA (isnt that missing a F). She said he has a "Emergency Use Ony" vehicle and meetings at a fallout shelter weekly/monthly (cant remember). He asked her if I would be interested in coming down and being a guest speaker at some meeting in the future.

I really dont know what to do at the moment. I mean he is obviously connected with the government. He is obviously preparing too. But EMA and FEMA, you cant spell one without the other. I am confident that i know who he will side with come time for Civilian Internment Programs. But then again, could this maybe be an opening to better things i.e. access to equipment, maybe learn some valuable intel. Would that be worth possibly being put on a radar?

My question is this, If you were offered to come in and be a guest speaker at EMA meetings, what would you do and what would you talk about, if you go?

P.S. i think i may need to talk to gma about OPSEC. :thumb:
This relative is likely a member of an official county rescue squad that is part of the county's EMA (counties have one that is a leftover from the Cold War and implements what state EMA's plan) or one of those emergency volunteers who does grunt work for the local EMA. In my area they mostly direct traffic, do secretarial and delivery work, and everything other than go into danger situations. They spiff up their personal vehicles with red lights and radios. The sticker on the vehicles in my area says something like, "This vehicle for emergency use when needed by *** EMA".

It may be party-crashing but I figure some preppers need to have an exhibit during the "National Preparedness Week" festivities in their town. I'd theme my exhibit, "When Three Days Isn't Enough". Near my table would be a poster of the "Duck and Cover" Civil Defense turtle near empty cans of food trying to scrape the contents from the one he is holding.

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
This relative happens to be a member of the HOA of their neighborhood, has a job at the nearby base, and is a member of the EMA (isnt that missing a F).
I think you are right:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=EMA&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=5a678f6409ce1751&biw=669&bih=367

What's to be paranoid about? Just tell em about the Red Cross Emergency Kit:
http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.53fabf6cc033f17a2b1ecfbf43181aa0/?vgnextoid=537b218c37752210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&currPage=e507d7aada352210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

You know, basic stuff.

One gallon of water per person per day (cooking & drinking only)

Paper plates & plastic utensils to maintain sanitation while conserving water.

Canned food for a week or more:
http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

The bunker you're building in the back yard to test that new rocket launcher you bought on eBay ... Oh wait, you might want to leave that part out. :D:

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[/QUOTE]
The bunker you're building in the back yard to test that new rocket launcher you bought on eBay ... Oh wait, you might want to leave that part out. :D:[/QUOTE]

Is my opsec that bad? You didnt happen to see any vietnam era claymores did ay? When i do the rocket test, you coming to watch it? ;) :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
You may be more help, than you realize. You can still promote the message of family & individual preparedness and DOWNPLAy the extent to which you are prepared.

Homeland Security, FEMA and the American Red Cross have ALL been advocating home preparedness in more recent years, with programs like the ‘Be Ready’ campaign. They have openly suggested that households prepare from 3 days to 2 weeks AT THE MINIMUM. If they suggested anything further it would turn people off even considering emergency home preparation because they would be overwhelmed at the mere thought of preparation. Unfortunately, their message has been a relatively quiet one, so many folks may have missed it. See American Red Cross/FEMA: Food and Water in an Emergency http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf (page 4) See Homeland Security (Ready.gov): Get a Kit http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

So, you can play off those recommendations. Just because the folks in your community are first responders or emergency management does NOT mean that they are actively promoting the actual steps families should take to make even BASIC emergency plans.

Just show how you are complying with the recommendations and how to make a simple 72 hour kit for car & home. Show how EASY it is to do. Show how to make a 2-week emergency food box, using inexpensive food options. Do NOT indicate that you are doing anymore than that. Just imply that you are following BASIC recommendations and no more.

I've been doing preparedness presentations since 2006. What I have learned is what I mentioned ... not all officials are giving the info they are supposed to, to the public. Sometimes, it's as easy as SHOWING them. Visual makes all the difference. Just keep it SIMPLE. Keep it BASIC. No more.

Seriously, like I said, you can be more help than you know, if you can reach some other members in your community. People want to know simple solutions. Especially in these days of uncertainty. -k

·
Registered
775 Posts
What the HE dbl hockey sticks do you think you need to be afraid of? There is OpSec and there is being dumb. The more you know the better off we will all be. I tell everyone I know I prepare, I tell them to do the same thing. I don't tell them how much or where it is, but I tell them so that they will learn and not have to raid my stash if and when the time comes.

The ability to get even a small bit of intel from a government agency that you may have to deal or have the OPPORTUNITY to deal with in a SHTF situation is priceless. This may also help many others if they learn how to get even a few more of their friends and neighbors on board.

Why the hell do you think I work where I work? Why do you think I volunteer as a CERT team member? Why do you think I talk to the police and do ride alongs?

Know your local people! Build a relationship with them. It doesn't have to be a "come over to my house for a party and look at all my preps". It may be nothing more than "hey phill, long tiime no see? Are you in need of any assistance?" type relationship.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts