Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
hee hee hee......I've had my Romanian love for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time now.....time for a makeover....

We got....
ATI Fiberforce stock [3 parts]. Stock and grip are one piece [counts as 2], hand guard is 2 pieces [counts as 1 / total 3] Got it for the trade of my wood stocks.
Tapco gas piston [1 part].
RAK-1 US made trigger set [3 parts].

Total imported parts count is now at 8. If I were to buy US-made magazines, that would count for an additional 3 US made parts [dropping the count to 5] but I don't need them [ATF says 10 imported parts or less]. I could buy US made Followers and floor plates for an additional 2 US parts [dropping it to 6 foreign parts] to go with the imported metal mag bodies if I wanted to....not sure if I want to though. "If it ain't broke........." is tapping me in the back of the head right now...

The rail came with the stock. Dunno if I like it or not. My AK has the side mount for the raised rail....I may end up getting one and a red dot. Not sure yet. I've been using the iron sights for almost 20 years now...eyes are getting old though...LOL

Tapco retainer plate [does not count].
Oversized charging handle knob [does not count]

My Yugo SKS is next dangit LOL.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
hee hee hee......I've had my Romanian love for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time now.....time for a makeover....

We got....
ATI Fiberforce stock [3 parts]. Stock and grip are one piece [counts as 2], hand guard is 2 pieces [counts as 1 / total 3] Got it for the trade of my wood stocks.
Tapco gas piston [1 part].
RAK-1 US made trigger set [3 parts].

Total imported parts count is now at 8. If I were to buy US-made magazines, that would count for an additional 3 US made parts [dropping the count to 5] but I don't need them [ATF says 10 imported parts or less]. I could buy US made Followers and floor plates for an additional 2 US parts [dropping it to 6 foreign parts] to go with the imported metal mag bodies if I wanted to....not sure if I want to though. "If it ain't broke........." is tapping me in the back of the head right now...

The rail came with the stock. Dunno if I like it or not. My AK has the side mount for the raised rail....I may end up getting one and a red dot. Not sure yet. I've been using the iron sights for almost 20 years now...eyes are getting old though...LOL

Tapco retainer plate [does not count].
Oversized charging handle knob [does not count]

My Yugo SKS is next dangit LOL.
If you want to have more US parts on there get a Krebs safety selector and ultimak.

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
I would second the ultimak. It's in my opinion the best option for mounting a red dot to an AK. And it doesn't needlessly clutter the gun with tons of rails you won't use.

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do you like that ATI stock?
to be entirely honest, I don't. I mean I like the fact that my rifle is now about 2 pounds lighter but that's about it. It's the style I really don't like. I like the hand guard though...it looks "magpul-ish," feels very solid and fits my hand nicely.

My friend got his AK with it already on and was looking for wood stocks to replace it with [call him an AK 'purist' if you like]. Since I wanted to get rid of the wood, I happily made the trade.

He's 'that good' of a friend that even though I wasn't too keen on the stock that I made the trade without hesitation. He's not as fortunate as I am [monetarily] but he's always there when you need him. I feel no remorse about making the trade because it made him happy. My wife was like, "awwe....see?? You are a nice guy!!" and I'm like "shut up woman, you still can't have it." LOL.

Since then I've ordered an ATI stock found here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...d-ak-47-ak-74-stamped-receivers-polymer-black

Because that's pretty much exactly what I wanted. I ordered it right before it went "out of stock" so I got lucky. I wanted FDE but I wasn't going to pay $150 for a tan stock that's only slightly different than this one. FDE Krylon Fusion's only $4 a can at wallyworld. The stock should arrive today as a matter of fact [UPS] and I'll get some before and after pics of the painting.

EDIT: and the reason I liked this stock over others is that not only does it telescope @ 6 positions, [I'm a bigger guy with gorilla arms] but it folds to the left. I shoot long arms lefty because I'm left eye dominant and the way that hinge point is designed, the rounded part is in front of my face instead of the actual hinge point. Also, the stock folds left and doesn't interfere with the charging handle or the safety selector.

Another benefit is the rear sling stud placement. It's on the hinge and that means the short, green, 2-point AK sling I have will fit me better. It will give me at least 8 more inches of maneuvering room with that cursed sling...and with plate carriers, that makes a world of difference.

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That top rail over the cover is fugly, otherwise it's not too bad.
yeah....it kind of is but i kinda like it at the same time LOL. Here are updated pics, now that I got and painted the new stock...

I'm thinking of painting that rail, the front sight block and the MOE grip tan as well. Might do that today if it doesn't rain...

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Originally Posted by weapons_762

to be entirely honest, I don't..
Yeah, they're hard as a rock and not very ergonomic. But, if you like the skeletonized-type stocks, check out the one from Choate. It is THE most functional,ergonomic AK stock I've ever shouldered. They're very solid, and the length of pull and cheek rest is perfect, and last I checked, they're only about $50 bucks.

edit: Looks like they're around $54 now, but still a great option. (and they look a hella lot cooler than the ATI or those retractable AR-type stocks.)
http://ultimak.com/CHOS-B.htm

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
922(r) is close to the biggest pile of horse **** I've read about.
The scary part is that you can go to jail for importing frozen lobsters in Foodgrade bags as well.
Agreed but my point of view is that they are not going to arrest me for being non-compliant...they might try when I exert "standing my ground" but not for non-compliance.

The other thing to mention is that no one seems to have heard about anyone being arrested solely for violating 922r compliance - rather - it's used as an "add-on" charge if a person is charged with a crime other than 922r.

Originally Posted by weapons_762

Yeah, they're hard as a rock and not very ergonomic. But, if you like the skeletonized-type stocks, check out the one from Choate. It is THE most functional,ergonomic AK stock I've ever shouldered. They're very solid, and the length of pull and cheek rest is perfect, and last I checked, they're only about $50 bucks.

edit: Looks like they're around $54 now, but still a great option. (and they look a hella lot cooler than the ATI or those retractable AR-type stocks.)
http://ultimak.com/CHOS-B.htm
Yeah, the Fiberforce is a rather unforgiving stock. I think it was designed that way so you spend an extra $25 for the rubber butt pad. The cheek rest is terrible as well and aside from being too low to weld properly, it rattles your face when you fire the weapon.

I didn't trade for this stock because I liked it....I traded with my friend because he wanted wood stocks instead of the skeleton that was on it. I had walnut stained wood stocks on my rifle and offered him the swap because he's not as well off as I am and he's that good of a friend. He's tickled pink with the stocks I traded to him and that's all that matters [to me]. Unlike him, I can afford to get a replacement stock. I don't regret the trade in the slightest.

I've since replaced that ATI skeleton stock with the ATI telescoping and folding one you see above. I liked it out of the box and then painted it. I like it a whole lot more now that it's the tan color.

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its on the books, and it can and will be selectively enforced when they want to.
I hear ya - and let them. They need a warrant to "selectively enforce" any claims to 922r violations. Just because the firearm's registered doesn't mean I surrender my Constitutional Rights....and the burden of proof is on them that I'm violating it [which I'm not].

Good luck getting a judge to sign off on that with a lack of evidence...just saying :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.