Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont really know anything about all the 2g-5g stuff, or when or what network(s) stop working.

All I need is a basic phone that will work for a while on whatever "G" network will still be running for the next few years.

Carrier is Verizon, although I would like to dump those commies as well and also stay away from any phones/OS's/etc that spew my information for the taking .

Any phone and carrier suggestions?

No smart phones allowed.

·
Michigander
421 Posts
T Mobile.
My brother had a flip phone, loved it, being discontinued like yours. He just upgraded 3 days ago.
T Mobile has a new flip phone that does what he wanted. Don't remember the name, but it was fairly cheap.

edit
Found it. Looks like it's only $4 a month on a 2 yr plan.

ALCATEL
GO FLIP™ 4

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dont really know anything about all the 2g-5g stuff, or when or what network(s) stop working.

All I need is a basic phone that will work for a while on whatever "G" network will still be running for the next few years.

Carrier is Verizon, although I would like to dump those commies as well and also stay away from any phones/OS's/etc that spew my information for the taking .

Any phone and carrier suggestions?

No smart phones allowed.
Phone G rating is nothing more than bandwidth, more bandwith = more and faster data transfer and is ereverlant for basic simple voice and texting service. Your service providers are limited to the ones serving your area.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
T Mobile.
My brother had a flip phone, loved it, being discontinued like yours. He just upgraded 3 days ago.
T Mobile has a new flip phone that does what he wanted. Don't remember the name, but it was fairly cheap.

edit
Found it. Looks like it's only $4 a month on a 2 yr plan.

ALCATEL
GO FLIP™ 4
We've issue these Alcatel flip phones with T-Mobile service at work. They are garbage. T-Mobile is also garbage. Keep in mind that all replies you get in this thread will be anecdotal and coverage complaints will depend on the location of the person. HOWEVER, having professionally dealt with all three carriers over the years I can without hesitation say that Verizon is the best overall, ATT second, T-Mobile a distant third.

There is very little effort going into flip-phones and the choice will be limited. From Verizon, the Kyocera Dura series phones are generally pretty good, tough and not difficult to use.

·
Michigander
421 Posts
We've issue these Alcatel flip phones with T-Mobile service at work. They are garbage. T-Mobile is also garbage. Keep in mind that all replies you get in this thread will be anecdotal and coverage complaints will depend on the location of the person. HOWEVER, having professionally dealt with all three carriers over the years I can without hesitation say that Verizon is the best overall, ATT second, T-Mobile a distant third.

There is very little effort going into flip-phones and the choice will be limited. From Verizon, the Kyocera Dura series phones are generally pretty good, tough and not difficult to use.
I can't speak to the quality of the flip phone, but I disagree with your assessment of T-Mobile. I have used T-Mobile here in Michigan for 3 years now, no issues. At HALF the price Verizon was charging me the previous 6 years.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,182 Posts
I bought a Samsung J 3 for just over $100. The phone is agood as anything I’ve tried with good “smart” features. The money I saved over an iPhone I used to buy guns and ammo.

ETA..I bought a nice looking case for $9.95 and no one knows I’m a cheapskate.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Even that Alcatel is a smart phone, it runs on KaiOS...
Same goes for current Nokia (non-android) lineup, if phone supports 3G or 4G networks it runs on KaiOS. 2G only phones have a Java based OS that has a one advertised feature called "web browser" :D

·
Paleoconservative
1,608 Posts
Just went thru this a month ago. The primary role of a cell phone is to be able to place and take calls. My carrier's (At&T)coverage had progressively gotten so bad, that it was no longer feasible...AT ALL...to fufill even that primary role. Dropped calls/garbled calls constantly. This, even after upgrading thru several different brands and models of phones and doing every update or suggestion they could come up with.

Bottom line, if you live semi-rural or rural, you better be paying attention to what carrier network your phone is married to...or you won't be getting much use out of your phone, period, the end. Regardless of brand, or whether you paid $40 for it or $1200 for it.

My solution was to use Verizon's network thru a TracPhone pre-paid plan, and utilizing the BYOD (bring your own device) option... a preowned, unlocked phone I bought at a local phone repair shop that has a warranty. So..why did I do all this? No expensive phone being bought new, no contract, no activation fee, no add-on fees or taxes.

What did I get? Night and day difference in experience. Unreal. Not a single dropped call, no problems with hearing or being heard on calls, every text goes thru every time, internet always works and does not lag. Perfect.

My recipe:
Used Motorola G6 (unlocked for any carrier) with warranty. $59.95
TracPhone starter SIM card kit.(Has SIM cards for Verizon, Tmobile, At&t) $1
Bought unlimited call/text 8GB data plan w/roll over. $40
Called TracPhone, got it activated w/Verizon SIM, using it 15 mins later.

If you dont need much data for travel or mobile use, you can get the 1GB plan for $20/month.

The cheapest Verizon plan I could find locally was $80 to $90/month on their prepaid side. Postpaid, can't remember exactly, might have been a little higher plus $40 activation fee. Plus add approx $8-10 taxes to monthly rates.

Best solution I could find that worked for me.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
Moto has many cheap phones on their web site some in the low $100 that will do. G is going away, they are taking that for 5G
If you are use to Moto then it is best to stick with Moto. I have had a Moto phone since the very early 90's

Reactions: Fonz

·
Paleoconservative
1,608 Posts
Moto has many cheap phones on their web site some in the low $100 that will do. G is going away, they are taking that for 5G
If you are use to Moto then it is best to stick with Moto. I have had a Moto phone since the very early 90's
Could you clarify on your above statement, the part in bold?

I hadnt used a motorola anything in a lomg time. Happy to say that Im very impressed with this phone insofar as reception, call clarity, and useful features. It even has a local FM radio tuner and I can record news, talk radio or songs while Im listening so I can go back and catch something I might have missed while it was live. THAT is a cool feature.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
Ok I should have said 3G will be going away. Older Cell Phones will be going dead in 2022

Tracfones, flip phones, Jitterbugs and even older-style smartphones will no longer be able to make calls once the networks are taken down, Davidson said. Many people, especially senior citizens, have kept older model phones they are comfortable using,

This is going to effect a lot more than older phones.

3G Dead

Reactions: Fonz

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
2G is pretty much gone and what's left of 3G will be gone in 2022. When I finally retired my Blackberry Passport, I looked high and low to find a suitable replacement. I'm not an Apple person so it was either android or Linux. IMHO, Linux isn't ready for prime time in phones unless you just want to make calls. I wanted email capability on my phone so flips were out. Most of the corporate phones like Samsung, Sony, etc are loaded down with bloatware. I needed two phones so I eventually went with Blackview and Oukitel. Their android OS is pretty much stripped down and no bloatware. As far as the Google part of the phone, android won't function properly without a Google log in so I use a burner Gmail and turned off permissions for pretty much everything Google on the phone.
Maybe in ten years Linux will get its act together and be ome more main stream then I will shift over. Until then, nothing can really replace Blackberry's OS10 for me.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,262 Posts
Tracfone has pay as you go smart phones for as low as $15. You buy a 30 day prepaid service starter plan for $15 and then upgrade to another plan as an existing customer. Prepaid Phones - Shop All Basic & Smartphones | Tracfone Wireless

Plans: No Contract Cell Phones & Plans | Tracfone Wireless As an existing customer they have 365 day plans that are a bargain at $118./year with auto refill. 1500 minutes, 1500 texts 1.5 GB of data. (existing customer plans)

I have a Tracfone $10 refurbished smart phone with their $118 -365 day no contract plan and it's been perfectly reliable and the phone and data is speedy. When I purchassed online, I looked at what phones were offered in my prefered price range and then looked for user reviews for those phones on the web. That helped me choose the best bang for the buck. If you make a mistake or wreck your phone, you're not out much money. You should be able to buy a different tracfone and switch out the sim to carry your service to the next phone.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
Tracfone has pay as you go smart phones for as low as $15. You buy a 30 day starter plan for $15 and then upgrade to another plan as an existing customer. Prepaid Phones - Shop All Basic & Smartphones | Tracfone Wireless

Plans: No Contract Cell Phones & Plans | Tracfone Wireless As an existing customer they have 365 day plans that are a bargain at $118. with auto refill. 1500 minutes, 1500 texts 1.5 GB of data. (existing customer plans)

I have a Tracfone $10 refurbished smart phone with their $118 -365 day no contract plan and it's been perfectly reliable and the phone and data is speedy. When I purchassed online, I looked at what phones were offered in my prefered price range and then looked for user reviews for those phones on the web. That helped me choose the best bang for the buck. If you make a mistake or wreck your phone, you're not out much money. You should be able to buy a different tracfone and switch out the sim to carry your service to the next phone.
You need to see what service your Tracfone uses if it is 3G it will be useless in just a few months

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like I got some hunting to do. I want the tihin-ness of the razr, even the hi $$$ smart flips are bigger than what I like. That old razr has been run over, dropped I dont know how many times, submerged in water and recently went for dip in heating oil... Tough phone.

I suspect most of the other carriers buy their tower time from Verizon and resell it, guess their is no way to get away from subsidizing that snake.

I'm just looking for a small, no frills 4g flip, like the Alkatel go flip, or like an LG exalt. Need to do some reading up on how long they last but I doubt anything these days can outlast the old razr.

Thanks everyone, on the hunt...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It is not just phones, some "older" (but not that old) BMW's for example had built-in 2G connectivity for certain functions and those are no longer available everywhere.

Locally, here in Finland, it was announced that 2G network WILL stay functional. It has the best range/coverage for pure calls and same network also serves IOT devices, trail cameras, remote controlled diesel heaters in cars... all that kind of stuff. Operators decided that it is in everyones best interest to keep 2G working. 3G is going down at some point, to give more available frequencies for future 5G networks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts