Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
You own a home in North Carolina ... Why would you ever leave?

NC may well be one of the few perfect places God made on this earth.
Ive lived here for 12 yrs and tried to fight it for 10 of those. It took me that long to slow down enough, and every time my wife and I come home from FL or NY visiting family we always say we're glad to be HOME!!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Well, it seems like you have a few options:

1. Find a pet friendly apartment in the city with training, and bring the dog along.

2. Quit your job, and find a new one. Someone with that many years in the field should be able to find another job, but you may have to take a slight pay cut.

3. Retire. 32 years, with land, a house, and everything you're wanting. You'd have plenty of time to spend on the garden, hobbies, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tell him to return the SC as there isn't one out there that requires 60 days of remote face-to-face training. Or call him out for skimping on the training budget. Either way - your manager needs a recalibration.

I know, I build SC's for a living. Vector, SMP/SSI, CUDA, whatever...unless you have to learn hardware replacement, diagnostic, the app, and everything...it just flat out makes no sense.

·
Registered
672 Posts
At 66, the only reason I would leave my place is, I would like to be back down in KY with my extended family. But if I can't do that here is fine too. I have two great friends and we always have stuck together through thick and thin. If I stay here, I pitty the poor sap comin through my door uninvited. First few ain't goin back out, after that they would probably take care of me. Heck, I've lived a good life, very fast and wild, now it's just putting in the rest of the time I have left. If I'm suppose to die, so be it, my next life for eternity, will make up more than enough to give this one up. God Bless all

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
There are still people living in the hot zone around Chernobyl and they are very much alive. Some died and a lot of them have fatigue, pains and aches but they are still home. I don't think everyone evacuated have the same quality of life if they feel really homesick but they have to live elsewhere.

·
Registered
I have three bug out bags medical combat and survival
15 Posts
I am 38 years old I have a wife and a child and my best plan is bugging out we are prepared as well prepared as two people into child can be to leave at a moment's notice whenever anything apocalyptic happens my bug out zone is 5 days walking I have a direction it keeps me off of Highways and main roads and I am a member of a militia in North Idaho and some of them will be headed this way on day 3 at our meet up point to help me and my family get the rest of the way to the community just because I'm prepared to take me my wife, two dogs my two cats mature horses 130 miles east of here which is where I'm at right now in the direction of my compound / community would just about 300 like-minded individuals doesn't mean I'm any more of a survivalist than you are you're going to stay at your house or going to protect your family going to protect your animals you're going to protect your land you sir sound like a survivalist Amen brother stay up stay safe and stay protected stay ready.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have prepped for a long time. I have everything I need to be comfortable without Grid power, grocery stores, or the outside world.
What I will never do is leave my home. I am 60 yrs old and love my land.
I don't care if a tornado, hurricane, fire, reactor melt down. I ain't leaving home.
I have packed a lot of living into my years, done most everything I ever wanted to do.
I will defend my place to my last ounce of blood but I ain't ever leaving this place.
If the house is destroyed, I will live in my tent.
If the nuclear reactor melts down 35 miles away I will glow in the dark until I fade away.
My boss wants me to go away for 60 days for new training on the latest super computer. I told him my 15 year old dog would die of heart ache if I left her in a kennel.
I worked for the same IT company for 32 yrs and this will most likely cost me my job.
I ain't leaving.
So I guess I am not a survivalist.

Anyone else feel this way?

Way to go.............
I'm 69, so I know the feeling.......................
Besides, I got no where else, to go.............

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,266 Posts
I had the same thought when I saw the dates, Sarge.

The newbies haven't figured out the "Recommended Reading" = necro threads.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have prepped for a long time. I have everything I need to be comfortable without Grid power, grocery stores, or the outside world.
What I will never do is leave my home. I am 60 yrs old and love my land.
I don't care if a tornado, hurricane, fire, reactor melt down. I ain't leaving home.
I have packed a lot of living into my years, done most everything I ever wanted to do.
I will defend my place to my last ounce of blood but I ain't ever leaving this place.
If the house is destroyed, I will live in my tent.
If the nuclear reactor melts down 35 miles away I will glow in the dark until I fade away.
My boss wants me to go away for 60 days for new training on the latest super computer. I told him my 15 year old dog would die of heart ache if I left her in a kennel.
I worked for the same IT company for 32 yrs and this will most likely cost me my job.
I ain't leaving.
So I guess I am not a survivalist.

Anyone else feel this way?
Survivalist.,.as opposed to looking for death.....I dislike the term. It was used to blanket describe anyone the droids deemed to be independent and not willing to bow to the public, whether a militia, bomber or anyone opposed to gummint

·
Registered
94 Posts
This thread was raised from the dead in the romantic era I call "red dawn fantasy"

Besides fires, mudslides, and other localized disasters I'm not sure what scenario would have to happen to make "bugging out" a good choice.

These types of threads haven't really aged well when you consider some of the things that have happened in the past couple years. We've had a"pandemic", at least 8 months of rioting, people being investigated for no legitimate reason, parts of cities literally being under siege.

I haven't heard of one case of bugging out. I also haven't seen the resistance to all the violence people were supposedly "prepping" for.

As for me, I've made my home comfortable and have tried to prepare the best I can for things that are actually prone to happen in the area I live.

I've seen the runs at the stores when covid first broke out, I kind of prepare for interruptions like that because my parents did when I was little, everyone did.

Now I've seen that certain appliances may be hard to get, so I got another freezer. When I see a sale on meat or other food I stock up.

I actually get extra things every time I go to the store. I retired just as covid hit and I promised myself I would get rid of stuff and try not to be so hoardy, but so much for that.

One thing people might overlook is regular dental care. Also overall fitness.

I've come to hate the phrase "bug out" it implies running and giving up. Maybe we should have focused more on becoming involved in things so we don't have to bug out.

I think people have watched too many movies and have an unrealistic perception of what it would really mean to "bug out", to literally make yourself a refugee. A sure way to ensure you are controlled by the government is to become a refugee.

·
Swirl Herder
3,761 Posts
This thread was raised from the dead in the romantic era I call "red dawn fantasy"

Besides fires, mudslides, and other localized disasters I'm not sure what scenario would have to happen to make "bugging out" a good choice.

These types of threads haven't really aged well when you consider some of the things that have happened in the past couple years. We've had a"pandemic", at least 8 months of rioting, people being investigated for no legitimate reason, parts of cities literally being under siege.

I haven't heard of one case of bugging out. I also haven't seen the resistance to all the violence people were supposedly "prepping" for.

As for me, I've made my home comfortable and have tried to prepare the best I can for things that are actually prone to happen in the area I live.

I've seen the runs at the stores when covid first broke out, I kind of prepare for interruptions like that because my parents did when I was little, everyone did.

Now I've seen that certain appliances may be hard to get, so I got another freezer. When I see a sale on meat or other food I stock up.

I actually get extra things every time I go to the store. I retired just as covid hit and I promised myself I would get rid of stuff and try not to be so hoardy, but so much for that.

One thing people might overlook is regular dental care. Also overall fitness.

I've come to hate the phrase "bug out" it implies running and giving up. Maybe we should have focused more on becoming involved in things so we don't have to bug out.

I think people have watched too many movies and have an unrealistic perception of what it would really mean to "bug out", to literally make yourself a refugee. A sure way to ensure you are controlled by the government is to become a refugee.
Survivalists should be students of history.

Through human history, literally hundreds of millions of (if not more than a billion) humans have found it essential to relocate to survive.

At the end of WWII in 1945, more than 50 million Europeans hit the road and relocated to survive the aftermath of that conflict.

You obviously cannot conceive/comprehend how that could happen to you.

Neither did they.

But relocate they did........

No one wants to hit the road and leave behind all the fixed possessions they have accumulated - but the better prepared you are for that possibility, the better your chances of surviving that catastrophy and the quicker you would pick up the pieces of your shattered life at your destination.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If they hit the road it was because their home was demolished. For the most part they stayed in their own country.

People talk about accumulating guns and ammo for "the big reset", then in the next breath they are "bugging out". The really funny part are some of the people are planning on bringing out to where others are also bugging out. Couch commandos changing places. :LOL:

Are you going to abandon all your preps for the enemy? Why did you get them to begin with. Frankly I think these things are a fantasy of the couch commandos, most of whom don't have a lot to lose to begin with. Or have never backpacked or been involved in a real life evacuation, it's not like the movies. When my spouse had to evacuate with her family during Floyd, it took 4 hours to get to the end of the street. The interstate was a big parking lot. It took 14 hours to make a 5 hour trip, her mom almost ran off the road in the mountains. I had to work. I was safe in my home, not a refugee stuck on the side of the road.

We live in unprecedented times. The things happening now have never happened before. It seems our biggest enemy isn't other countries, it's our own government. They are attacking the families of those that speak out. The navy is taking a new oath, the language is disturbing.

They are investigating Clarence Thomas wife

The Navy will be the first branch of the service to be forced to re-take their oath under the military stand down

Biden to reform the courts, not that he really needs to.

We got to this place because all the hoopla the "survivalists" said they were going to do, back when it was happening, were not done.

Maybe people should have gotten more involved in actual things that matter, like running for local office, becoming school principals, organizing, sticking together.

In the past you could recognize when there was a war, now it's not so obvious, but make no mistake, there is a war going on, one that won't be fought with guns.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts