Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
:)
My goodness what do you do with all the eggs? I am lucky to go through a dozen eggs before they go bad from storage in the refrigerator. Big difference from when I was younger.
I give most of them away to my son's family, neighbors, and I make Teddy an omelet every. LOL!

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I do not intend on derailing but just to remind everyone....discussing promoting self-harm are in violation of forum rules.

23. We have ZERO TOLERANCE for posts promoting Self-Harm to others on the forum, directly and/or indirectly. Doing so will result in sever punishment. Even if you were just joking around, do not do it. This includes telling other members to die, or you wish they (or their family members) would die etc... Death is not something that any survivalist should wish for another survivalist or their families.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=2&postcount=1

Some posts have been removed since they skirted too close to that rule. If anyone has an issue with that, please PM me and do not highjack this thread.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I finished work and signed out of the company secured VPN , walked outside with my Binoculars.
I could see the craters on the moon so clear and the stars, white ones, red ones, all shinning and flickering in the sky.
It made me realize that it doesn't matter whether you are bugging out or are hanging tough where you be.
The universe is so complex and contains so much power that it doesn't matter how much ammo, how well you are trained, how well you are prepared.
Nature or God depending on your beliefs will determine your destiny.
Good night and thanks to all of you for making this a great thread.
Rich

·
Evolutionist
349 Posts
Anyone else feel this way?
I'm "only" 50 years old, I'll be 51 later this month, but my knees are shot and "bugging out" on foot is pretty much not an option for me any more. My career was a as a firefighter for the US Forest Service. There was a time when I could get myself and my pack to the top of a mountain faster than most. But that work along with sports took my knees. I don't have knee replacement yet, but I'm in pain all the time. I cannot run any more at all. Stairs are hell to me. Down hill is worse than stairs. Yet I can't stop going, right? I can't. As long as I can still move on my own power, I have to keep going as best as I can. I am in the pool doing water aerobics 3 days a week. I ride my bike on days the pain allows me to. I tried to ride today, but had to turn back home because the left knee wouldn't loosen up. I walked 18 holes last week & almost every step felt like my knees were being stabbed with needles. I really want to do some back packing with my wife. We have evrything we need, but I am having to start to accept the reality that it's probably never going to happen. I have been in great physical condition my whole life, but today I have to endure pain no matter what exercise I try to do and it's getting worse. This is very frustrating to me.

I don't want to be one of those people who didn't make it because I couldn't run, or couldn't walk far enough and fast enough. I'm too damn young! So yes, in a way I get what you're saying. My wife could put on a back pack and hump out, but not me anymore. Chances are in a SHTF scenario, I'm going to have to stay where I am. Or if I have to walk, it will have to be with a very light pack. Having been a very active person my whole life, this really sucks.

·
Evolutionist
349 Posts
or you coud get off your lazy ass get on the tractor with the front loader and chains and clear a 100ft wide fire break all around your property :thumb:
I've seen wildfire blow over 100' wide (& wider) fire breaks like it wasn't even there many, many, times.

·
Forgiven by Christ Jesus
7 Posts
I feel your pain. You can leave your dog with me during your training. My family will keep her entertained and I promise she won't miss you (after the initial shock wears off).

·
Forgiven by Christ Jesus
7 Posts
Sudden disaster or a slow decline. I've seen both and I'm tend to believe that we'll continue to see both. Examples? Inflation and Stock Market Crash. We've seen both, one continues to drive gas from 0.19 when I was young to now $4 here and $6 there. Is there still a huge real estate bubble? Sure, but not everyone files bankruptcy the same week and the unemployment line is folks that JUST lost their job and yet there is still a line.

So, my spouse asks if we should use our stock supplies. I say use them if you need them and we'll buy more. At least that way we're rotating the stock. Never bought anything I didn't want to eat anyway and as times continue to get worse I'll be eating $3 stores from my pantry while others are paying $6. And later while I'm eating $6 stock they'll be paying $12.

·
Evolutionist
349 Posts
You bring shame

Great stance. One can't be too prepared I guess. A lot of businesses depend upon that kind of thinking.

I thought you'd never leave your home? Will your tent be next to your home?

yeah, I used to until I realized the internet is full of dime a dozen marketing people.
You Sir do not have the proper dignity and respect to be posting in this thread. Your coments do not deserve any kind of response, but I can't help pausing to call you out. Your comments polute and cheapen an otherwise quality thread. A man has poured out his guts here, told us of his fears and his boundries. You come along with innapropriate smugness and sarcasm. I hope that in the future you can try to notice if a topic or a post is sensitive and treat it as you would like yourself to be treated if it had been you who posted it.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Good post Ruck!!
Leonidas, I wish I could thank you a dozen times! Everyone seems to know what is good for someone else. FWIW, YOu have my admiration and respect. :)

Here is Teddy. I found her in the middle of 60 acres when she was a few weeks old. She is as loyal as the Queens Guards to me. She use to run down rabbits and bring them to me.
She is old now and it's hard for her to get around.
She wouldn't make it in a kennel too well.

·
straight shooter
2,164 Posts
Anybody seen 'The Road"? Been out on video for quite a while. I don't want to be on it. Kudos to Leonidas for making the decision to make a stand. For the young bucks, if he was your dad you'd be looking to bug out at his place. My preps include my blended family of grown kids that amounts to 12 adults. It's a lot to store but these are the people I want to spend my last days with.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
Leonidas - What wonderful loyalty. Teddy is a beauty also. And so kind of you to give her an omelet every day to keep all her parts moving fine. I'm impressed.

There are other options than kennels. If she has been used to your place her whole life and isn't a traveler then maybe that isn't an option for you. But do you think she might like it?

If not, then why not take her to a friend's spread or take up an offer from here on the boards? My Boscoe was an old man, but he LOVED the fat farm, which was a boarding facility that is more like a summer camp. We called it the fat farm because they always come back so awesome looking. There are more of those now. I live in VA and we have one just at the NC border that mine go to. Chalquest Kennels if you're interested. Proprieters are wonderful folks.

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
huh. thats ok. all you young folks can scurry away and us old folks will stay and kick some azz so you can get away. how's that?

LMAO!

Leonidas, I wouldn't worry about some "label". who cares?! Just do what you feel is the right thing to do. You wanna stay? stay. Who cares what others think? especially on here! lmao!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Would you leave for a week and come back, if it would save your life?
No, I doubt anything that would be temporary would be a threat.

It would be a nuke plant meltdown or chem release from a truck accident that would get me to think about leaving but my first reaction to those would be to send the wife to safety and I'd stay to protect the place from looters

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Can someone come a couple of times a day and love Teddy up while you're gone? You could even call her on the phone. I'm serious.

My old Bo is snoring away at my feet. Two weeks from today I start a new job, no longer working from home. I am worried about this old man, he is made of Velcro and is stuck to me pretty tight.

Reactions: Leonidas

·
Never Abducted
14,270 Posts
I have prepped for a long time. I have everything I need to be comfortable without Grid power, grocery stores, or the outside world.
What I will never do is leave my home. I am 60 yrs old and love my land.
I don't care if a tornado, hurricane, fire, reactor melt down. I ain't leaving home.
I have packed a lot of living into my years, done most everything I ever wanted to do.
I will defend my place to my last ounce of blood but I ain't ever leaving this place.
If the house is destroyed, I will live in my tent.
If the nuclear reactor melts down 35 miles away I will glow in the dark until I fade away.
My boss wants me to go away for 60 days for new training on the latest super computer. I told him my 15 year old dog would die of heart ache if I left her in a kennel.
I worked for the same IT company for 32 yrs and this will most likely cost me my job.
I ain't leaving.
So I guess I am not a survivalist.

Anyone else feel this way?
It seems as if you have survived just fine up til now.

We all will die.

If you have found peace, does it matter where?

·
Winter is coming...
64 Posts
Leonidas:
I’m not far behind you in age , I’m not planning to bug out (SHTF) either but if a flood or fire forces me out….I’m gone. I will just rebuild. Too much to live for, now and in the future! Whether SHTF or not.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts