Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have prepped for a long time. I have everything I need to be comfortable without Grid power, grocery stores, or the outside world.
What I will never do is leave my home. I am 60 yrs old and love my land.
I don't care if a tornado, hurricane, fire, reactor melt down. I ain't leaving home.
I have packed a lot of living into my years, done most everything I ever wanted to do.
I will defend my place to my last ounce of blood but I ain't ever leaving this place.
If the house is destroyed, I will live in my tent.
If the nuclear reactor melts down 35 miles away I will glow in the dark until I fade away.
My boss wants me to go away for 60 days for new training on the latest super computer. I told him my 15 year old dog would die of heart ache if I left her in a kennel.
I worked for the same IT company for 32 yrs and this will most likely cost me my job.
I ain't leaving.
So I guess I am not a survivalist.

Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
LEONIDAS im the same way im 62 and retired I have lived in my home for 30+ years its set up for me and my family which consists of 2 old horses [THEY ARE RETIRED TOO] 1 cat and my yellow lab [LUCAS] Im not leaving my home im stocked up on everything from asprins to ammo. I will defend my home and my critters at all costs. Glad to see another older person feeling the same way.

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
I just came back from a 4 week training two hours away for my new job as a Correctional Officer with the state, so I understand being away from whats comfortable and what I know, especially being away from my wife, kids, and dogs.

I feel that bugging in is just about the best option for everyone (unless you live in a major city.)
Why become a refugee in an unfamiliar area just because you feel at that time its a better option?

To me the best idea to keep your kids (if you have any) happy durring a stressful time on them, (not seeing friends, going to school, no internet, etc) is keeping them where they are comfortable IE thier home with all of thier things, and toys, and pets, etc.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
No , but then I don't have as good a setup as you do.

I'd say you are free to live as you please, and just because you are tightly bound to your land doesn't mean you are any less prepared to survive. Being as you are, I'll assume you have "prepared" those items necessary to stay alive on your land under conditions that would quickly kill the average Joe.

So, yeah..... sounds to me like you are a survivalist that won't be bound by other definitions. Nuttin' wrong with that. Besides, you gots a dog what needs you. Very few things finer than a good dog.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts

I think a lot of people equate survivalism with wanting to survive whatever happens to them. There is a lot of stuff I would not want to survive. I would not want to continue living if a number of things happened. I think a lot of people would want to survive no matter what the situation and no matter what happened to their loved ones, which is fine. There are also things that once you see and experience, you can never un-see and you have to live with that. There are plenty of things that I would possibly have to experience that I would not want to continue on carrying in my mind.

You're honest about it. I don't think a lot of people are. I don't think it makes you any less a "survivalist" than someone that sits around and pontificates about every horrible thing they think they can endure when they are either too stupid to realize they're lying or simply dishonest.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I have prepped for a long time. I have everything I need to be comfortable without Grid power, grocery stores, or the outside world.
I don't care if a tornado, hurricane, fire, reactor melt down. I ain't leaving home.
I have packed a lot of living into my years, done most everything I ever wanted to do.
I will defend my place to my last ounce of blood but I ain't ever leaving this place.
If the nuclear reactor melts down 35 miles away I will glow in the dark until I fade away.
My boss wants me to go away for 60 days for new training on the latest super computer. I told him my 15 year old dog would die of heart ache if I left her in a kennel.
I worked for the same IT company for 32 yrs and this will most likely cost me my job.
I ain't leaving.

take the dog with problem solved:thumb:

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Nup sorry, its only bricks and mortar I would abandon my home in a second to ensure the safety of my family, perhap individuals living on their own can use such a narrow approach as you only have yourself to consider, but those of us with families and loved ones can not afford that luxury. I dont see the point of prepping at all if you are just going to sit there and let flood waters, fire storms, or tornadoes kill you because you are set in your ways.

What I wont do is put my families safety and survival in the hands of a government agency.

NR

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Nup sorry, its only bricks and mortar I would abandon my home in a second to ensure the safety of my family, perhap individuals living on their own can use such a narrow approach as you only have yourself to consider, but those of us with families and loved ones can not afford that luxury. I dont see the point of prepping at all if you are just going to sit there and let flood waters, fire storms, or tornadoes kill you because you are set in your ways.

What I wont do is put my families safety and survival in the hands of a government agency.

NR
I think you hit the nail on the head. You are in a different position, you are younger and with a family.

Additionally I think OP has done just about everything he can, to find as safe as possible location and prepped. He is not just sitting there "waiting" for these things happen, he will do what he can to protect what he has (that's my understanding anyways). But he's not leaving. He has too much of his heart in the place, and leaving it would leave him with nothing worth living for.

I think there are stages in life where you feel differently about different things. I have a feeling most of us older folk will not be ready to run away, as we start feeling our own time here is coming closer to an end. We do not want to start over again. This might be different if there are children and grand children involved though.

To say "there's no point in prepping if you just gonna sit there", Is not really what the OP is saying IMHO.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Nup sorry, its only bricks and mortar I would abandon my home in a second to ensure the safety of my family,
NR
I just been thinking quite hard about this:D:

Perhaps the place where you live is just that for you. A dwelling, bricks and mortar.

This is a really personal thing. People can put a lot of creativity and much of themselves into something, it could be the place where you live, or a relationship or a hobby.

When that happens, it is no longer a case of "just bricks and mortar" or just another pet, or just another child. It becomes something of importance and value and makes you feel that you CAN survive stuff.

Leonidas has put a great deal of himself into the creation of his space, to have it just how he wants it, and in his shoes, I would feel the same about leaving it, no matter what happened.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am older but I have young children. Tornados......well.....little warning so sit tight and then clean up. Hurricanes.....I live where we won't flood so again....sit tight then clean up<smile>. I agree with the OP a I have this place set up to maximize survival for me and the children. Survival chances would be improved how by bugging out with 3 yo twins and a 6 yo how? By leaving the resources I have painstakingly built up over the past few years? Uhh....no. My dogs aren't older but I am<smile>. Good luck Leon.

Liebrecht

·
Banned
214 Posts
I ain't leaving.

Look for a Crossland Studios (google it), in the city you are doing your training. They are cheap per month, and are pet friendly. I had to do training for a month. I brought my dog, paid the hotel, and had no problems. Don't lose your job over it. Just find a solution!

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Leonidas---what you wrote could have been penned from my own hand! I am 64 and will live until I die on my small farm in Missouri. My roots have grown deep over the years watered by my sweat and I cannot think of a single scenario that would cause me to leave. It is home. Glad to see there are others out there who feel the same way I do.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
I ain't leaving.

So, if a wildfire came thru and burned everything, you would not BO? You would just stay there( and force your loved ones to stay?) and burn? I got it, we're dug in, have alot of critters and we're staying, as long as the critters can survive......wild fire or more than 4' flood, we're outta here......suviving is surviving, like Kenny said, you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

NR
I agree with you.
I raised my 2 sons and now they are raising my grandchildren. When I was your age and in your shoes I would do the same thing.
I am sure they will too.
What got me thinking of this was my oldest son called last week and said my ex-wife had terminal cancer and even with chemo therapy she only has 6 months at best.
Made me think long and hard what was important to me.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I have prepped for a long time..... (but) I ain't leaving.

Yep,I've expressed essentially the same sentiments before. I don't have a BOL to BO to, and I sure as hell ain't strapping on a BOB and joining a refugee-filled "trail of tears", winding up at some "camp".
Even the most dedicated,harcore survivalists are still going to die,eventually.
Sometimes you just gotta make a stand. ;)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts