Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,194 Posts
I'm actually working on "guerrilla gardening" around my area. My problem has been climate and soil issues. My local soil is salty sand and limestone, with a very low percentage of organics. My climate has many months of drought conditions. The heat down here offers no chilling period for breaking the dormancy of some seeds. We also have insects and parasites and diseases that when left untreated, destroy most traditional vegetables that you might grow.

I believe it's a bad idea to depend on foods that won't naturalize to your area. My guerrilla gardening efforts right now involve learning what things have naturalized successfully and increasing the food sources that have already naturalized themselves in the local ecosystems.

The video makes the point that you can change your conditions to provide what non native plants need. Yes but... I believe that if you fight nature long term, it will win.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
I would also add, imagine the energy used planting and maintaining these tiny lettuce beds out in the middle of nowhere. You will waste more energy than you will get in return. Just think about how many little plots you would need to sustain one person. That guy will starve. I find it very hard to believe that he only loses a third of his crops to deer and rabbits.

Lettuce doesn't have to be in straight rows for me to recognize it.

If you have to be on the run like that, save your seeds in hopes for a better day and break out your wild edibles book and start learning.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually working on "guerrilla gardening" around my area. My problem has been climate and soil issues. My local soil is salty sand and limestone, with a very low percentage of organics. My climate has many months of drought conditions. The heat down here offers no chilling period for breaking the dormancy of some seeds. We also have insects and parasites and diseases that when left untreated, destroy most traditional vegetables that you might grow.

I believe it's a bad idea to depend on foods that won't naturalize to your area. My guerrilla gardening efforts right now involve learning what things have naturalized successfully and increasing the food sources that have already naturalized themselves in the local ecosystems.

The video makes the point that you can change your conditions to provide what non native plants need. Yes but... I believe that if you fight nature long term, it will win.
There is a seed bank of heirloom seeds that is guaranteed to grow in any of the lower 48 states, maybe you should try that one.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,194 Posts
There is a seed bank of heirloom seeds that is guaranteed to grow in any of the lower 48 states, maybe you should try that one.
Yup I know about the benefits of heirloom varieties.

I can grow just about anything around here (short term) if I dramatically change the growing conditions from what nature provides. Commercial Farms down here in Florida are a major supplier of America's food. The issues for them are no different than mine though when it comes to growing "mainstream" foods. They have to change growing conditions so much that the non native plant species that they grow, no longer know that they're in Florida. Irrigation, pest and disease control, nutrient control, even sunlight control in some cases. Science feeds the world now rather than mother nature.

My Guerrilla Garden objective is to learn about non invasive, naturalized or native food species and increase their numbers around my area. If nature can't make it work without my help, then people can't depend on it long term.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts