Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a gsg5 today.The gun store was packed with people buying assault rifles and hicap mags like it was the end of time.Obama winning the election has already started to make the prices climb! Now my question has anyone shot a gsg5,how did it perform?

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
The shop I was at today let me take one for a trial run, no sale. Over glorified 10/22 its heavy, long, and just didn't shoot any better than a hundred dollar gun, that is sad for a 400 dollar gun......

I do however think that for an operator who uses the mp5 this is the training tool for on the job cheap CQB practice. It isn't full auto, but it doesn't matter.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Mine works fine, just replace the hammer spring with one slightly stronger. Other than that, it's a fun toy

Reactions: JUNIOR

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now my question has anyone shot a gsg5,how did it perform?
I have shot one. It is a fun gun to shoot, but I don't think that I would personally buy one. The mags are finicky, but the capacity is nice. The fast acquisition sight is difficult to line up- make sure you keep the front sight post in the bottom part of the notch. They are fun to shoot though, and are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Love the forum. I was reading through some of last weeks posts (been away on xmas vacation) and I feel this one I can chime in on. Other than that, hello!

Now on to the GSG-5.

I have one. Honestly, when I cant shoot my .30-30, 7.62 bolt action, or my handguns...this thing gets extensive use. It seems to shoot really tight groups for what it is, IE not a full sized rifle...and the fun factor is definately there. Gets lots of looks at the range, many compliments, and so far (mine is a GEN-2) it has had almost 2,000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I was shooting the standard 35 grain Federal 550 box wally-world special.

Honestly, though, I think its the most dangerous gun I own. This is for the sole reason that I've seen numerous new, nonmember shooters bring them to my range and treat them exactly as they're described on just about every forum -including this one- like a "toy". I can only logically attribute this to the rampant view of .22LR being a small, wimpy, "no big deal" round. This particular gun, though...wow...seems everyone thinks they are handing these out down at Toys R Us lol

Comments like "the next thing up from airsoft", "fun little toy", etc...while probably meant in good humour, really scare me. Truly, it is not a toy. It is a high-capacity, semiautomatic rifle. It is a genuine firearm, leagues away from anything that should be considered a toy. Now, while it may not necessarily be the gun I am going to grab in the event of a break-in...or the one I will rely on to take down game...or even the coveted black rifle I will rely on when the zombies rise and the world shuts down...it shoots real bullets and can seriously injur or kill your average hominid.

I guess my point is, and I'm not picking on anyone, when I see someone bring one of these to my range...I instantly get even more alert than I normally am during shooting (which is pretty darned alert) until I see they aren't treating their rifle like a toy. I think we have a duty as enthusiasts to help bring newcomers and youth into shooting with proper levels of respect for our weapons...toys they may be compared to their bigger brothers, .22LR has killed plenty of animals and humans alike.

A toy it is not :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Why would you get a GSG5 when a Ruger 10/22 will do the same thing?

The GSG5 only looks sexier--but is it more practical?
Nope.

T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts