Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have the cash to buy either a WASR 10 AK47 or a GSG-5. I don't think I can get both before the imminent assualt rifle ban, but I want both. I've had my eye on an AK for a while, but so have I on the GSG-5 (MP5 .22lr clone).

I can shoot .22lr at the local indoor range, but not a 7.62. If you had your choice for a survival/sporting rifle, which would you choose.

I like the looks of both (except most WASR 10s need a retreat/sanding). AK mags are more common, but .22lr is cheap as dirt.

Ak:

GSG-5:

I realize I make the final decision, but it would be good to hear some of your opinions.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
WASR. for the price of the MP clone- you can get 2, or stock up on mags and ammo for one

·
Registered
631 Posts
Buy the AK or Buy 2 used AK's for the price of the GSG5 and you will still come out ahead.

You could also buy a few mags for a GSG5 and pack them back. The GSG5 high cap mags may be banned in the future but the rifle itself may not be either way the mags will increase in value after a ban.

·
Registered
enough to sleep well at night
4,734 Posts
I would get a AK do to it being more Adaptable for plinking, Target shooting, Hunting, and as a Defense Weapon, with the 7.62X39 caliber over a 22LR for all these purposes.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Although I love the look of the MP5, the GSG is a clone and in 22lr (and even come in 9mm). But it's a toy, for fun. Not to mention, the GSG isn't as wide spread as the AK's.

If I were you, I'd go for a WASR. And spend a hundred bucks on a used 9mm/22lr rifle for plinking indoors. :)

·
Μολὼν λάβ
576 Posts
Sometimes you just want what you want.

I have both and love them both. It is much less expensive to shoot the GSG and it has a nice feel with little kick. I will not insult your intelligence by stating the difference in power and penetration, but others would have you think that 22lr bounces off of denim jackets or that 22s are just plinkers or toys. That is absolute Bullsh*t.

Also, I must admit that when I was making the same decision you are now making, I wound up buying the GSG months before the AK. I have always drooled over the MP5 but the prices are astronomical. Now I have an MP5 clone that always gets the looks and I could actually afford to shoot it every weekend, all day long. Just because it is fun, does not make it a toy. Besides, everybody and their brother has an AK. Even MY brother.

When the zombies come, they will not be questioning the caliber of the rounds zipping toward them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the GSG-5, and I love it. I don't think anyone here would dispute the need for a .22lr. It is great for small game, and can be used for self defense if need be. If you had high cap mags from before the ban, you have a very nice platform. Also the ammo is cheap, and easily stored, and carried in bulk. No need for mag locks here in Ca. so reloading is easy. Plus since it is a rimfire, you can have a overall length of 26 inches with a telescoping stock, also legal in Ca. Plus is is close in ergonomics to the HK USC, and can be trained with without the cost of ammo....

·
Retired from this *****.
375 Posts
wasr, with the money you save from mags, parts and the gun itself you may even have enough left to buy a ruger 10/22 with a butler creek folder.. and in my opinion thats way better than the gsg5 not to mention way cheaper mags.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i want to say, instead of the wasr, and if you plan on buying online get a hungarian amd-65. Its a good step up from the wasr and running around the same price right now. Its a side folder and imo one of the coolest looking ak's. Its also shorter, and lighter recoiling because of the muzzle break ive heard.

budsgunshop has them for 499 shipped
centerfiresystems has them for 499 plus shipping
and ive seen a few on gunbroker and other places for around 450-550.

once the supply runs out, they're definitely gone because there is only a limited surplus and none are being made anymore.

I just opted to buy a saiga rifle instead because i want the versatility of using it for sporting purposes like hunting, and i can change the stock with a tapco add on and add hi cap american magazines legally if i want it to be in more of an AK format.

Next on my list is something cheap in 22lr for survival purposes and plinking, and then maybe a new design hi point 995 as mostly a range toy/backup home defense/shtf gun.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I have the GSG-5, and I love it. I don't think anyone here would dispute the need for a .22lr. It is great for small game, and can be used for self defense if need be. If you had high cap mags from before the ban, you have a very nice platform. Also the ammo is cheap, and easily stored, and carried in bulk. No need for mag locks here in Ca. so reloading is easy. Plus since it is a rimfire, you can have a overall length of 26 inches with a telescoping stock, also legal in Ca. Plus is is close in ergonomics to the HK USC, and can be trained with without the cost of ammo....
.22's are for training, plinking, target shooting, and hunting squirrels. A $99 bolt action will do all of these better than the $500 one. Yes, everyone should have a .22, but this one is suited only for plinking. The original question indicated that he did not have a fighting rifle/carbine. Only a fool would consider the GSG-5 a fighting weapon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts