Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your thoughts on this SW? Is it a good one, worth the $$. I'm not interested in HAM, looking for a dependable radio to get information for when the stuff hits the fan.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
What's your thoughts on this SW? Is it a good one, worth the $$. I'm not interested in HAM, looking for a dependable radio to get information for when the stuff hits the fan.
Thanks,
Joe
NO! Avoid this radio since you can do much better for less money. This radio is just a pretty face with no substance.

The Grundig s350 radio is only single conversion but does one hell'va job on all bands with great sound!

I've run one for several years as my man cave table radio to listen to am/fm/sw using a simple wire antenna along the ceiling with no complaints at all as long as you understand it's a really good radio not a super great radio. Super great radios and antenna cost boat loads of money!!

The Grundig S350 in radios is a true sleeper.

Amazon.com: Grundig S350 Deluxe AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Black: Electronics

·
Registered
100 Posts
The S-350 is a sweet deal

I agree, the S-350 is about as good a radio as you can reasonably use. It does a good job with its own antenna and if you string a long wire antenna 20-75 feet from your listening post to a 10-20' pole somewhere (trees attract lightning and ruin your day - avoid the temptation) and you use a ground rod and a lightning arrestor near where it comes in the house, you will have an antenna that will pick up more signals than you want to listen to. Bring in both antenna and ground wires for outstanding signals.

Unlike pure communications radios it also has good table radio sound for FM and AM listening too.

Mine is solar - I got a Ray O Vac lead acid 6 volt battery from WalMart and stole an AC Adapter plug and cable from a wall wart ... (you can get plugs and wiring from Radio Shack too) and I run it off the battery. Be careful with polarity, be sure you know which wire is + and which is -. Get help if unsure. I use a small 2 watt 12 volt solar panel to recharge the battery and even without sun it would run the radio for a month or more ....

I never use an AC adapter because EMP or Solar Coronal Mass Ejections can produce surges on the power line and could fry the radio. If you are worried about such, also disconnect the antenna when not using it and collapse the built in antenna. Of course, if you plan to survive a nuclear exchange, then put the radio, when not in use, in a cardboard box and then in a metal trash can as a Faraday shield. For my location, staying off the grid with radio power is probably good enough but I do have a trash can around should things get dicey. It would quickly fill with the radio, ebook reader, laptop, PDA, cell phone, etc.... should the new version of the Cuban Missile Crisis come back.

I also use it as a work radio outdoors so I have 4 D Cells in it at all times. I put a piece of cardboard between two batteries to keep them out of use except when I go portable. Then I remove the cardboard and unplug the external power and i am good to go. Alkaline D cells are not cheap so I use them for portable only. They last a very long time in that usage.

Versatile and an excellent radio for all purposes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
One has to be careful of e-ham reviews since they are so spread out in time. I find that they seldom are helpful since the reviewers are often newbies making their one and only review of their new toy.
Amen! and I find eham is full of grumpy curmudgeons that complain about anything and everything...some people just like to complain - forget about the masses that didn't post that are having great success with a product...

Mo-Go

PS: most of the postings on QRZ aren't much better...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts