Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bamboo is often overlooked as a valuable building tool, and multi use tree. It is obviously not suitable for all climates, but could be a valuable addition to ones setup, if applicable.

There is a process of sealing bamboo and making it resistant to mould for a considerable number of years (according to some Japanese proffesors I've listened to). I have not been able to find a website on this yet and will post if I find it. From my understanding, you take the materials of the bamboo, such as leaves and limbs other than the main trunk and burn them to essentially smoke the bamboo in its self.

Once you have sealed the trunks, they can be used to create a timber that is very fast growing. This could be applicable for any additional storage you may need, or even rebuilding of your own structure temporarily if necessary. You could also build structure for any others that may join you if the SHTF and you come accross some worthy patrons.

This website shows a little of the applications: http://www.koolbamboo.com/Modern bamboo architecture.pdf

It can also be used for a rather primitive, but effective piping for irrigation or even drinking water if necessary. Tools can be made, and even a good beating stick!

Basically its a good all around tree to have readily available if applicable.
Here is a website about the different species and how you should go about growing it, if you deam necessary.
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/bamboo.htm

Hope this is helpfull for someone. You could even grow your future structure if you could only afford the land I suppose.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Yes It's usefull, but It will take over your yard or garden. Once you have it, you'll never get rid of it. I have it along my property line as a wind break and for privacy, but it sprouts everywhere, and hard to pull up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can see the multitude of uses for bamboo, but also know it can take over an area quickly. Is there an efficient way to 'contain' it for harvesting purposes so it doesn't take over?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can pour a concrete footer around the area, which is expensive, or use some other kind of solid obstacle. If you slope it up and away from the bamboo it will cause the roots growing outward to over the top where it can be cut. It needs to be 3 feet deep I think.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've seen people bury corregated tin 3 feet down to contain the bamboo roots,but like the man says it's hard to get rid of once you plant it.it will grow 3 feet a day

·
Registered
100 Posts
how do goats and bamboo interact?
I've been told that goats love bamboo. Which is why I planted some in an area that the goats can't quite reach. Hopefully it will try to take over the entire area and then go into the pasture. My bets are that the goats will eat it to death if I give them a chance. :D:

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yes you will need to pour a 3 ft deep footer or the Tin can be used for several years before degrading and needing to be replaces or the Bamboo will become a permenant fixture in your yard and spread. Its a great material and was extensively used in Japan and still is. They used it for scafolding, fencing, privacy fences and garden trellis's. Once established it is very fast growing in most climates that arent extreme but will need lots of water. Getting it started is kind of difficult as it doesnt do well if transplanted after being dug up. If you want to start some its best to but it in a planter pot and then plant it in your plot.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
It is a very versatile resource, used extensifly in Asia as scaffolding, concrete reinforcing, water reticulation, good heating source and some types are edible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts