Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Dr.Martens2Dr.Scholls!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tried this yet but someone told me of a fellow that planted potatoes in soil in a car tire. As the plant grew taller he just kept adding another tire and more soil until he had a stack of 7 tires. The guy said his yield was about 75lbs. of spuds per stack of tires. This might be a good way to grow potatoes in a city or urban environment where land space is at a premium, it would also be a pretty descreet way to grow too!! Just an ol' stack tires over there with some green plant pokin' out the top!! Little would the average looter know it would be packed with potatoes top to bottom! See ya later alligator!!:)

Spam

·
Man in the arena
243 Posts
Pretty cool. How do you get the ones at the bottom? :D

Reactions: Absolutely!

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Pretty cool. How do you get the ones at the bottom?
When you are ready to harvest, you just knock the tires over, recover the potatoes and save the tires for next year.

The only negative i have seen presented for this was that the chemicals coming out of the tires would be a draw back. Never seen any hard evidence for this though.

Seems like a great way to use bald tires

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think that the tire stack would make it easy to mix straw in with the soil so that the potatos can grow bigger more easily in the loose growing space.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
The only negative i have seen presented for this was that the chemicals coming out of the tires would be a draw back. Never seen any hard evidence for this though.
What if you painted the interior of the tires or used some other kind of barrier? Just wondering.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
I'd like to find more info on this, as i have a large cement slab in front of my detached garage, and growing tubers in this sort of method would really allow for a good yield in little square footage.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
Interesting, but I have found that the heat absorbed by the tires fry any plants inside them. I tried using large black buckets to grow squash in last year, and as soon as they tried to go over the sides they where scorched. We are in Northern Montana so I would think it would only get worse farther south.
I like the idea of starting plants in a large pot so I can move them outside when the weather warms up. I want vegatables for the earliest farmers markets.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Good idea! If we painted them inside and out with white paint then they would be less likely to fry the plants.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are worried about the tires leaching, use concrete remesh that has been bent into a circle like a giant tomato cage. As the plant grows cover it with straw, dry leaves or what ever. When the mix and plants have reached the top, just wait for the plants to die back, turn the cage over and enjoy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have done this a few years and have had good results. i would recomend mixing hay or mulch with the soil as you add, and lots of water. the mulch will help the plants from burning as bad and help produce larger taters. i have used tire gardens alot due to space and rules about "digging up the yard". last year i started with "squarefoot" gardening. i will expand on that this year.

good luck if you try it.
just remember lots of water and loose soil with hay or mulch to hold that water.

·
Dr.Martens2Dr.Scholls!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for ****zengigglez i am going to plant a tire potato in the next week. I will hopefully remember to chronicle it in some way n see just how it turns out.... We are in North georgia so it will be interesting to see just what happens. Dunno bout 7 tires high though... would require a ladder on the last couple rows,,,, n thats just plum dangerous ;)
Awesome! Please let us know how it turns out! Be careful using that ladder!:D

·
I travel light
2,024 Posts
Hi. I just want to say that our sweetie *****cat throw our initial effort for starting a garden. She peed on the plants and it was like acid rain. (I did not do anything, as she´s blind). So please make sure your cats don´t have any access.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Potato bag" update

Instead of using a tire maybe you could use a "potato bag". While searching on the Internet I found the following on the Gardeners website.

http://www.gardeners.com/Potato+Bag/VegetableGardening_PotsPlanters,36-629,default,cp.html
Update on the "potato bag". I ordered one from the Gardeners.com website. It just arrived. The bag is made by a company called "High Caliper Growing". More details about the bag as well as its other uses can be obtained at their website http://www.smartpots.com

It's still too cold where I live so I won't be able to review it yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts