Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this may be a little out there, and completely impractical, but the majority of my land is covered with dense old forest. Seeing as I value the fresh oxygen and old growth setting, I would not really like to clear half of my land in order to have room for all the fruits, vegetables, and herbs I plan to grow. Basically the task I am undertaking, to be ready next spring, is some hanging gardens in the trees. I have a few ideas on how to go about this, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this, or contemplated it?

Or if everyone is just going to laugh at me (its ok, I'm pretty calloused).:D:

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
It sounds like a good idea, don't know much about it myself apart from some hanging baskets in trees.
It may keep some of the four legged critters off your gardens, save a lot of time, labour and expense vermin proofing them if planted on the ground.
All you can do is try it, and please keep us posted.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
now if you have no light filtering down thru the tree canopy then things like tomatoes will not do well but shade plants would do well.
then theres the weight to consider that you will be putting on the trees themselves. also pests like catapillers and such will be hard to remove if you have to move a ladder around often to check your plants

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about trying to utilize a pulley system, in case of watering needs or just general maintenance. I was also planing on smaller plants, and pvc for the structure to save weight. I will more than likely start out with a small setup, and expand if I think it will be worthwhile.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
ahh i see. adding a water collection and auto watering drip system would go well with something like this. yes surely start out small and see how it goes first then expand. now wind blowing your hanging planters may also need to be taken into consideration

·
Poseur
221 Posts
google "Forest Gardening", it's basically a way of creating and managing edible source in a woodland environment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts