Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone grow chokeberry in their chicken yard?

Inside my chicken yard is a sweetgum tree. I thought about planting some shrubs under the tree to provide the chickens with protection from hawks and shade.

While I am planting, why not plan something that grows an edible fruit?

The black chokeberry seems to fit my bill. It grows to just a few feet tall and produces edible fruit for the chickens.

Has anyone grown chokeberry? Do your chickens like it?

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
We have two chokecherry trees as fodder for the wild birds against our cherry trees (doesn't work, btw, lol), and the birds eat the heck out of it.

So, if wild birds love the chokecherries, I'm sure the chickens would love the chokeberries.

My chickens free range, and they'll even eat up all those nasty pokeberries. I'm sure some chokeberries would be welcomed by your chickens. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aronia Berry is a chokeberry. Aronia is a super food, please google it. I make tinctures and syrups from it. Extremely beneficial to heart health and those with diabetes.

I hear it is easy to grow as well.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,320 Posts
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/wee...o-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=350

Most parts of chokecherry are toxic to humans and livestock. Digestion of chokecherry seeds, leaves, twigs and bark by enzymes in the stomach releases cyanide (also called hydrocyanic or prussic acid). Cyanide poisoning can occur with fresh, bruised, wilted or dried foliage. It is possible for a person or animal to die of cyanide poisoning if not treated within minutes of ingestion. Cases of poisoning in livestock have been reported. However, it is not usual for such poisonings to occur at times when other, more palatable forage is available. Cases of poisoning have been reported for children who chewed on twigs, or ate the cherries without discarding the pits. The fleshy portion of the chokecherry fruit is not poisonous and can be safely eaten, although it is extremely tart.
The same condition exist with Black cherry trees.

Native Americans would pound the seeds then dry them in a way that would neutralize the poison.

·
The Mighty Pen
1,110 Posts
Kev, did you ever plant chokeberries? I have some that were sent to me instead of the chokecherries I had ordered. I've harvested the fruit, but haven't decided what to do with them yet. If they were chokecherries I'd be making jelly, but I've never used these before.

Creek Walker: chokeberry is not the same as chokecherry. Chokeberry does not have poisonous seeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts