Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have done this many times over the years, in BC and Alberta. Not legal where I am now.

Never saw the point of using a big heavy shotgun shell for something a cheap .22 would do. But its different purposes, wingshooting for sport or hunting for meat. Same thing about rabbits, excep when walking back from trying duck hunting with 12ga.

Scoped .22, base of the neck shot, no wasted meat and no cracked teeth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a recurve bow but somehow one of the limbs warped and I have no idea how never got warm and it was always stored correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I've used .22lr and .22 pellet rifle for grouse - quiter than a shotgun, cheaper, and meat is not perforated. But a scope? Haven't found the need for one when grouse hunting - how close can you get before they flush?

-Per.

·
Throbbing Member
130 Posts
I like to wing shoot grouse over a bird dog. Although have shot them with a pistol while backpacking. I just enjoy working with the dog...it seems to be more sporting that way

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have never killed a grouse yet with a gun. I have killed many with a rock and some with a slingshot. They are usually kind of stupid unless spooked then they will fly a long way. They usually just fly into the trees and sit and look at you. That sometimes makes it hard to kill them since you do not want to kill something that stupid. But fixed right they do taste good fixed wrong and they are nasty. I just skin them it is hard to keep the thin skin intact.

·
Throbbing Member
130 Posts
I have never killed a grouse yet with a gun. I have killed many with a rock and some with a slingshot. They are usually kind of stupid unless spooked then they will fly a long way. They usually just fly into the trees and sit and look at you. That sometimes makes it hard to kill them since you do not want to kill something that stupid. But fixed right they do taste good fixed wrong and they are nasty. I just skin them it is hard to keep the thin skin intact.
Thats kinda what I was gettin' at. Its purdy easy to shoot 'em off a stump, or out of a tree. Heck, you can even pelt them with a rock (thats challenging) but get a flushing dog running around to get them grouse jumping up- it can be down right entertaining

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
I've always found it interesting when I hear folks from back east talk about their "king of the gamebirds" grouse. All the grouse I've seen out west are dumb as a box of rocks. I guess they get a lot more pressure back there but its hard to belive they are talking about the same birds.
Here are some tasty Dusky grouse I plugged. Didn't use a rock sorry. :)

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I've always found it interesting when I hear folks from back east talk about their "king of the gamebirds" grouse. All the grouse I've seen out west are dumb as a box of rocks. I guess they get a lot more pressure back there but its hard to belive they are talking about the same birds.
Here in Southeastern Ontario the grouse flush quickly and the only shot is generally one on the wing as they speed away from you and into the woods - shotgun hunting.

In Northwest Ontario you have to practically kick them off the trail to get them to move - shotgun, .22, stones or steel-toed boots. (I'm told the natives use to use a long pole - 8' or so - with a cord looped over the end that they would slip over the necks of the birds to catch them. Don't know if that is actually true.)

- Per.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've always found it interesting when I hear folks from back east talk about their "king of the gamebirds" grouse. All the grouse I've seen out west are dumb as a box of rocks. ]
Nice shooting. Most of my bird hunting experience is upland in Montana: Hungarian partridge and sharptail grouse and ruffed grouse. Hunted Ruffs and Woodock in NH. Every mountain (Blue) grouse I've ever seen has been as dumb as you describe. But Ruffs, particularly in NH are surprisingly sly. All good eating. Thanks for sharing the nice pic.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I have had great success with a 6" revolver, over the years for Hunting Ruffle Grouse, Blue, and Spruce also. I I have yet to use a scoped weapon on a Grouse.

·
Fennoscandia
228 Posts
Heh, funny I don't recognize the Nordic variants, like Black Grouse (Lyrurus tetrix), from this dumb as a box of rocks -description at all. Let's say you're hunting alone in the woods. Just roaming about, no dog, not time for decoys at boreal swamps yet. These birds regularly leave a tree or two between the hunter and themselves when they flush. And the flush is about the only time you can get them because they scarcely present you with a second chance. Today I met this youngster who flushed but got treed in a pine that I could see. Outside of shotty distance but beautifully on rifle distance (legal and normal here). I'm quite happy. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts