Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across somebody this weekend that I can hunt groundhogs on their farm. My question is I'm thinking of using 22 rifles (if my daughter wants to try) a Marlin Glenfield model 60 and a Ruger 10/22 with CCI Stingers. My other choices are an AR15 or a Scoped 30-06. The problem is they have numerous horses as well as other live stock hence the reason for me to hunt their property. However I'm thinking the 22's for the noise level so I/we dont scare eveything on the farm. I have sniped at whislepigs years ago with the AR I used to have but have not done it in ages and this will be a first time for my daughter. I know that the 22's will require closer ranges and so far I have not had the chance to scout the farm (hopefully this coming weekend). Any input or tips ?????? Thanks

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
I came across somebody this weekend that I can hunt groundhogs on their farm. My question is I'm thinking of using 22 rifles (if my daughter wants to try) a Marlin Glenfield model 60 and a Ruger 10/22 with CCI Stingers. My other choices are an AR15 or a Scoped 30-06. The problem is they have numerous horses as well as other live stock hence the reason for me to hunt their property. However I'm thinking the 22's for the noise level so I/we dont scare eveything on the farm. I have sniped at whislepigs years ago with the AR I used to have but have not done it in ages and this will be a first time for my daughter. I know that the 22's will require closer ranges and so far I have not had the chance to scout the farm (hopefully this coming weekend). Any input or tips ?????? Thanks
I would ask the property owner about the rifle choices.

A .22 should do the job with head shots.
Make sure to eat a few of the little buggers, their fat content is higher than squirrels and rabbits and they're pretty good.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yep the 22s should be plenty. I use a factory stock 10/22, a completely built (by me) 10/22 that I will confidently shoot out to 200 yards and an old Marlin Glenfield Model 80. A great round if you want to stretch your range is the CCI Velocitor round, I use those and love them. Heck at closer range a box of Federal bulk will do you fine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I hunt groundhogs with a 22LRHP all the time and have fun. As suggested, if you find a half grown one, eat it. They really are good. Have fun.

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
I used a (triggerless) bolt action .22LR growing up to reduce the varmint population on our farm. I now use a .22LR semiauto with a decent scope so I can reach out and really touch them from a gooooood distance away. The noise is minimal with the right rounds and headshots are not 100% necessary if you have semiauto. Just follow it up with a few more rounds if needed. Worst case Ontario, you just have an injured groundhog that is easier to hit next time haha.

Anything above .22 is a waste of ammunition as I see it as .22 is perfect for varmint. You might not kill it on the first hit everytime, but eh. Why waste larger more costly bullets? Then again, I still use the .22 for the challenge. I just push further and further back to hit them. I love the challenge. Ironsights from a good distance away when it works is well worth the effort haha.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
I have killed many, many ground hogs with a .22LR. Growing up in Kentucky, there really wasn't much else to do in the summer besides fish. And the farmers would pay me a couple of bucks to shoot them. Anything over a .22 really is a waste of ammo.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
I have killed many groundhogs with an old Savage 340B chambered in 222 Rem, it can reach out there 250+ yds with minimal muzzel blast and just flat kills them dead. It's also usefull for fox and coyote if they might present an opportunity. You could probably pick on up for $200 or less if you keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would ask the property owner about the rifle choices.

A .22 should do the job with head shots.
Make sure to eat a few of the little buggers, their fat content is higher than squirrels and rabbits and they're pretty good.
How do you fix groundhog for the table?

·
Logic is my Super Power
1,057 Posts
How do you fix groundhog for the table?
Euell Gibbons has a great recipe for Woodchucks and sour cream in "Stalking the Wild Asparagus". I'll look it up if you like. Woodchucks are pretty much the same as ground hogs.

I'm thinking you can cook it like any other game meat; but the trick we've found down here with possom and raccoon is to soak it in a brine solution after cleaning it. Soak it overnight, then roast, pan sear, fry or whatever with any spices you'd use for red meat game.

Down here, we'll pretty much eat anything that swims, flies, growls, grunts or gobbles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts