Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some opinions on some various items I've given thought to that you can find at walmart.
Food items including:
canned salmon, tuna both high in protein, salmon has a good ammount of fat and nutrients seems to be a very good survival ration.
Low sodium corned beef hash, lots of calories in a can protein, fat, and starch.
Ramen noodles and ramen noodle cups, not a top choice not very nutritious but very cheap and if you keep em sealed in the package might last awhile, however not rodent proof!
Protein bars these could be very useful as some quick energy when disaster strikes
Lets not forget something important here i dont see listed often as a need
Vitamin tabs, if youre gonna be out there for awhile you could very well run short on needs like vitamin a,c,d and others. This could seriously impact your health in the long run, so they are on my list for sure.
Baby wipes, dont be too macho and think they arent for adults and men, they work very well for a quick bath you know, and theyre compact.
Bleach a tiny ammount will disinfect a good ammount of water as long as its the plain kind it reacts, and converts into salt, can also disinfect wounds, just dilute it first real good then wash with water after a min or so.
Peroxide will also disinfect water, and its a very good thing to have if you injure yourself so a small bottle is a good idea.
Rubbing alcohol or strong liquor, both will disinfect a wound, and if the liquor is strong enough it can also start a fire. Dont forget this important reality folks, liquor can also be traded with other humans for many things, when shtf liquor will become scarce!
Cotton balls these are dirt cheap, can be compressed to a small size, work for wounds and dressings, they make excellent fire starter, spark into them and you've got it going pretty good. Tampons will also work for this purpose.
Duct tape now this is something no self respecting human should be without!
a million uses need i say more?
Tarps make a tent, a blanket, use them to collect rain water, all sorts of uses i probably havent even discovered yet.
Rope this one is a serious necessity!
There is a myriad of cheap inexpensive items available at the local walmart that will help keep you alive when shtf
Just some thoughts
please add to this thread with some more ideas and suggestions folks.

S L :cool:

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
I buy all my work pants at walmart. ****ies will outlast anything other than carhartts. Walmart also has the best prices on ammo and kershaw pocket knives. Mountain bikes, water bottles, slingshots, backpacks, axes, tools, lights, batteries…
Shoot, I'm going to walmart!

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Ramen noodles are the best. There cheap, tasty, light weight and I've eaten ones that were at least 5 years old and they where fine, so they have a decent shelf life. I picked up a case of 100 at sams club a few months ago for like $30. $0.30 cents a meal, plus a multi vitamin, it just cant be beat. Plus its great especially now because I'm in collage so I only have money for gas and the occasional mountain dew. Everything else goes towards tuition :mad:. (freakin' rip off if you ask me)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Large non-lubricated condoms (fun to buy) *for carrying water*
isopropyl alcohol *cleaning electronics*
petroleum jelly *to put onto the cotton balls for good tinder*
Altoid tin *cheap and easy and strong storage*

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
rip-n-ready

rip-n-ready entrees are simipar to mres but much tastier. cheaper too.
IMO get the meat w/sauce/broth and add your own sides and/or veggies.
egg noodles are more nutritious than rice or pasta
dried taters and dried onions are available. reconstitute and fry with spam/treet and a squirt of cooking oil.

·
Realist
427 Posts
Sugar.

Sugar and peanut butter are one of the cheapest, efficient and discreet ways to accumulate a million calories.

I use a million calories as a mark because my family of five could get by for 90 days on 2000 calories a day. Supplement that with frsh veggies, squirrels and odds and ends you have enough to eat.

I know sugar and peanut butter are not nutritionally complete as a diet, but they are better than starving.

Rotate the peanut butter and keep the sugar dry.

·
Registered
33,572 Posts
I do buy those cans of salmon at the discount grocery stores, the ones in the 14 3/4 oz cans. They have lot's of protein, fat, calcium and all kinds of good stuff. The last bunch I bought have a June/2016 date on the cans.

Most everything else I get at Sams club. I like those large 250 sq rolls of alumium foil (for hat making :D:).

I do seem to get a better deal on paper towels and TP at Wal-Mart, they seem to be the cheapest on those.

·
Registered
69 Posts
rip-n-ready entrees are simipar to mres but much tastier. cheaper too.
IMO get the meat w/sauce/broth and add your own sides and/or veggies.
egg noodles are more nutritious than rice or pasta
dried taters and dried onions are available. reconstitute and fry with spam/treet and a squirt of cooking oil.
Where can one fine these Rip-n- Ready entrees?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Walmart's 64 oz bottle of lamp oil is the cheapest I have found. They have replacement burners with a wick already in place for cheap also. Sam's price on aspirin is better though.

·
Libertarian
2,822 Posts
Ramen noodles are the best. They are cheap, tasty, light weight and I've eaten ones that were at least 5 years old and they where fine, so they have a decent shelf life. I picked up a case of 100 at sams club a few months ago for like $30. $0.30 cents a meal, plus a multi vitamin, it just cant be beat. Plus its great especially now because I'm in collage so I only have money for gas and the occasional mountain dew. Everything else goes towards tuition :mad:. (freakin' rip off if you ask me)
I have to agree. We get our Top Ramen from Costco-48-3oz packs,I think it's a little over $7.00. You can eat it plain, add chili or soup, or vegetables,whatever. As stated it lasts forever-I'm having some we bought over 4 years ago and it's fine. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
576 Posts
The only things I buy at Walmart is food,ammunition and water purification tablets everything else is cheap garbage like the bicycles,first aid kits and just about everything that is not made to be eaten but in shtf I will take just about anything I can get my hands on.

I do have to say that if you call Walmart gear the best stuff to have in shtf I would be amazed but than again every single person I have taken on a adventure has been an expert up to the point where they have to actually carry all the gear,**** and actually survive for all of two days.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ramen? No - - cheap but nothing but garbage and salt. Most pastas however, have a high protein and carb value to them and they keep forever.
*Coffee - more for barter than for drinking.
*Canned fruit (watch the dates).
*Oils and spices - you can make a lot of food worth eating and varied with these and the oils have many other values including lubrications and for burning.
*Don't forget soaps and toothpastes - a lot of people forget hygeine until it's too late.
*Wine - again great for barter and a nice thing to have a glass on occassion.
*Cards and other games - got to keep your sanity
*OTC meds - cheap to put in supply and properly kept, most last for years
*Cider vinegar - aside from obvious cooking, it's a good health supplement, a cleaner, a presevative, and it's cheap, although probably unavailable in most parts of the country unless produced locally.
*Flour - though wheat lasts longer, flour can last for years and you don't have to commit to grinding in the meantime. And it's cheap!
*Ghee - you'll probably have to make your own, but you can buy the butter. It's the way you can keep butter around at room temperature for a year or more.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Orajel and Dentak temp lost filling repair, you definately want these things....
DS

That's something I've totally forgotten about... Thanks!

Cloves, hydrogen peroxide, vanilla extract, wet tea bags and salt water also help relieve a toothache.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whenever you see a case of water for less than 3 bucks, just grab one. Rotate them. You will be happy to have them eventually.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.