Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, the only thread I found was in the Aussie section. From I read there some have problems with synthetic fibers getting into their leach basins and this can build up and be expensive to fix.

I'm considering using the washing machine water for trees and other shrubs, but I'm not prepared to use sink or shower water at the moment and it would be cost prohibitive. My parents used to just let the water from the washer drain right into the yard. It watered a few bushes and the nearby grass, but I need something a bit cleaner than that and I want to use the water for drought tolerant natives in my front yard. Ideally, I'd like to be able to hook a hose up to the pipe and put it where I need it when I need it as I have what will eventually be larger bushes and trees.

Does anyone have a grey water system? What kinds of issues, if any, have you had? Do you have suggestions? I've found a great site with free plans and such, and lots of info, but I'd like some first hand information. Thanks.

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
My grey water waters a Willow tree that would have died this year without it. I have all my grey water directed to it: sink, bathtub, and washer. My Phoebes (birds) love it and perch in the Willow catching bugs all day long.

The only problem I've had is that it can smell odd on very hot days but I don't have it draining close to the house so I just tolerate it. If you just use the washing water, this won't be a problem for you.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
I just read an interesting article yesterday about this same subject. It was in Mother Earth News magazine in this month's edition. I thought about doing something at our house for collecting gray water but I think it would take a lot of plumbing "re-design" for it to work out.
It did give me that idea that someday when I build my wife her "dream house" I will plumb it so we can collect all our gray water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Several years ago I plumbed my sinks, showers, and washer to 2 1500 gallon tanks I burried. We make our own soap so I know there are on harsh chemicals in the water. I use this water to irrigate my 20,000 square foot veg garden. The excess or over flow goes into a wet wether stream which is planted with native grasses and cattails. This will eventually flow into a pond I will be excavating this fall.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JoeKan, I found several websites using google that show you ways of accomplishing a simple laundry to landscape design that won't cost you a ton of money. I'd been looking for solutions because we want fruit trees, but I live in a very arid climate. I was having trouble justifying the garden in this climate, let alone adding fruit trees and grass. With the laundry to landscape system I can water all of my trees and likely most of the landscape in the front yard with just hubs and I living here.

I won't store any of the water, if there's enough water in the ground I'll have to switch back to sewer when I do the laundry. I've read that you should store grey water no longer than 24 hrs and I will only use it on my fruit trees because of human contact in the garden and grass. Maybe overly cautious, but I have a grandbaby and dogs and I don't want to take any chances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts