Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Kurt and I recently joined the board to further my knowlege of survival products out there, as well as skills, mental preparation, and techniques.

Living in Alaska provides us with a unique challenge in survival. A simple back country hike on a clear day can quickly change into one that tests your skills and can claim your life. While we have an abundance of wildlife that could sustain food stores for months, the weather and lack of fresh food during the bitter cold months can make this hell on Earth for those not prepared.

I work at the Port of Anchorage and am fully aware of the reliance we have on shipping here. Without the constant stream of supplies, this land will wither away in no time.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because of what I am trying to do in preparing for disaster (she blames the zombies). However, the earthquake of '64 shows that our world can be turned upside down, without warning.

Just wanted to say hello and give you a brief summary of what goes through my mind!

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Alaska. She said, "Cut it out."

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
welcome from NC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome aboard. Been to admiralty island. If I could find a computer animation job out there i'd move tomorrow.
Computer animation jobs are scarce. We're not exactly cutting edge on that kind of stuff.

Welcome fellow 49'er!
Thanks! Good to see some other Alaskans here.

In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Alaska. She said, "Cut it out."
:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greetings from Southern California. Looking forward to hearing more about your life in Alaska.
It's the normal life that lower 48ers live. You know, feed the polar bear in the morning, patch the snow on the igloo at noon, and wait for the wolves at night...

We're just like any other state, at least in the Anchorage area. "Real" Alaska starts about 50 miles in any direction.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's the normal life that lower 48ers live. You know, feed the polar bear in the morning, patch the snow on the igloo at noon, and wait for the wolves at night...

We're just like any other state, at least in the Anchorage area. "Real" Alaska starts about 50 miles in any direction.
this winter sucked tho. we had a heat wave in december and the blockbuster melted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome from the other side of the earth; Maine. We use dog sleds and snowmobiles up here to go shopping, but most of us have indoor plumbing now.
I just started "prepping" myself. I've learned a lot since I first logged in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.