Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERY serious prepper needs to watch this!

"What does survival without technology look like?"

Here's a great video that explains what will happen when technology collapses, and the hard choices that people who are used to having modern technology will have to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sb7bOljBAQ

Well worth a look! He brings up some amazing points of what we will have to do in a SHTF.

It's from a 1978 TV series called "Connections". The narrator is James Burke, and the series is about modern technology and how it came to be.

This is from the very first episode, where he is talking about how dependent we have become on modern technology, and how helpless the average person is when that technology fails.

This clip follows a segment where he was talking about the New York City Blackout of 1965. Yes it is somewhat dated, but I've never seen the facts about a true SHTF event ever presented so dramatically.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
It's interesting that they choose the elevator/lift breaking down in a disaster, as it did in 9/11. One window cleaner rescued those trapped in a lift by breaking through the wall into a bathroom with his squiggy device.

I think it would worry me now if I ever worked in a high rise building where I needed to take the lift all the time.

I'm semi rural, so I expect a lot of Urbanites to land on my doorstep if TEOTWAWKI happens, many will settle round here, or try to. BUT, the thing is that this village is very old and it was designed to be defendable, so I can quite easily see us having to baracade it.

Luckily for me, I live in an area with farms, horses etc. I don't know how many use ploughs and trackers, at least one I know has got them. In France during WW2 they converted a lot of vehicles to run on steam so I suspect the tracker will be converted the same way. We do have an iron age working farm further towards the coast, so I guess those with experience in it will travel to share their knowledge.

Also we have the wonderful series called Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm etc, where they actually go back to that time period to farm, using only the technology that was available then.

Tales from the Green Valley - medieval farming - Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRj1YYnsBGk

Hopefully we will have the heads up, but having had to live some time without electricity I wouldn't want to go through that again any time soon, especially in our UK Winters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we depend on technology and electricity (one in the same, it could be argued) every second of every day.

I just finished "one second after" (really great read, as most already know) and it really struck home how big of a crutch electricity, technology, medicine, communications, etc. really is. without it, millions of Americans would not survive, a lot dyeing within the week!

most don't have the skill set and preps needed to survive without all these modern conveniences. i THINK my family could survive...

·
The Power of the Glave
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I think that, in some ways, rural and semi-rural areas of Britain might have a better chance in such a situation. In the situation depicted in the video, basically everything (at least as far as farming and food production) would have to go back to 19th century methods. From what I've seen about rural England, I suspect there are still plenty of old horse drawn implements tucked away in old barns and garages.

Plus you have some invaluable experience in using this older technology, by some of the examples you mention.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a huge problem with "One Second After", that being, they used the golf course for a cemetery rather than a community farm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, thank goodness. I have a plow, a horse, a donkey, acreage and a lake with fish in it. What a lot of people fail to realize is that in a blink of an eye you might not be able to get on the Internet to find the answer to a question of "How do I do that?" You know, the instant gratification we have at our fingertips. So now is a good time to learn some skillls and know the answers to the questions you think you might need, before you are left with only yourself to answer them. And there can be no community garden without seeds...and you need heirloom seeds. I would be hard pressed to share mine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What does survival look like without technology?

Watch the movie, the Revenant. The whole movie is about survival.
The Revenant is a remake of the 1971 movie "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris. I saw that one, but haven't seen the Revenant yet. Richard Harris played the character Zachary Bass which was based on the true story of Hugh Glass (same as the Revenant).

The agony that Richard Harris' character went through was awe inspiring. I assume DiCaprio's performance was similar.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Man, I loved Connections...

Also, yea. If/when it all collapses, we are mostly screwed. Take time to savor that Starbucks tomorrow.

·
reluctant sinner
17,537 Posts
Well you better have some non-GMO terminator seeds. And since the bees are dying you need to be the pollinator too. Weeding and watering will be a chore as well as fertilizing the played out soil. Plus you need to keep the bugs and critters from eating your crops.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Believe it or not, I saw that program as a kid back in the early 90's when TLC used to show actual documentaries instead of just gypsy weddings and home renovations. That first episode was the very one that got me thinking about preparedness, survival skills, etc.

Fun fact: the film 'The Trigger Effect' was also inspired by this episode of the same name, and is also not a bad one to watch, especially if you have a reluctant spouse of family member who isn't on board with the prepping mindset. The film is basically a cautionary tale of how a comfortable suburban beta male would handle a grid-down scenario: ie not well.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
EVERY serious prepper needs to watch this!

"What does survival without technology look like?"

Here's a great video that explains what will happen when technology collapses, and the hard choices that people who are used to having modern technology will have to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sb7bOljBAQ

Well worth a look! He brings up some amazing points of what we will have to do in a SHTF.

It's from a 1978 TV series called "Connections". The narrator is James Burke, and the series is about modern technology and how it came to be.

This is from the very first episode, where he is talking about how dependent we have become on modern technology, and how helpless the average person is when that technology fails.

This clip follows a segment where he was talking about the New York City Blackout of 1965. Yes it is somewhat dated, but I've never seen the facts about a true SHTF event ever presented so dramatically.
Glad I just skipped through it and didnt waste 7 minutes of my life on this. No, its not fact based just a bit of good old fear mongering without any serious study or analysis of facts exctrated from actual disasters.
But hey, Im sure some people are happy enough thinking this BS is sensible information.
FerFAL

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
For most it is much worse than that. I know I am screwed if SHTF and that long term prospects for survival are slim to none. However, I have met people that ask questions like "where does turkey come from." People in the inner cities have become so ignorant of the world around them and conditioned by government handouts that they have no idea where food actually comes from. For them, it might resort to eating raoul.

·
Head for the Hatch!
32 Posts
That "Tales from the Green Valley" looks like a great series! I think my wife and I will learn a lot from watching it. Thanks for linking it!

·
TechoBilly
53 Posts
I have a huge problem with "One Second After", that being, they used the golf course for a cemetery rather than a community farm.
If you know any thing about how golf courses are maintained you would not plant crops there either. The sheer volume of herbicide and pesticides would used would blow your mind. And very little of that stuff is legally to user on food crops.

Maybe in a few years give time to leach out and break down

1 - 20 of 25 Posts