Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone decides to get into prepping and they start reading through the various blogs and forums, it can be easy to become overwhelmed. Since I founded Survivalist Boards, I’ve lost count of the number of newbies asking the same (but legitimate) questions and making the same mistakes. And many of the sites out there play on people’s fears to promote an agenda or sell stuff people don’t need.

I have been reading an excellent new site called The Prepared and wanted to share two new articles they put out that I think are the best overviews for beginners I’ve seen:

The “Prepping for Beginners Checklist” is more of a plain english introduction than just a list. Very good for people who aren’t hardcore survivalists.

I like that it focuses on many of the problems we all went through as preppers, such as the “stay realistic and practical” goals. For some people, they start off prepping for a financial setback, or a natural disaster, then end up prepping for nuclear war or the next plague. Chances are most of us will lose a job or face a natural disaster before a global nuclear conflict, or the next plague.

Another suggestion I like is “Ignore the noise and extremism that tries to take over prepping from the fringes.” It is very easy to fall into the conspiracy theory trap. If we listen to the fringe movements one would believe the United Nations is getting ready to invade the United States and impose martial law. On a personal note, in the late 1990s I fell into the fringe conspiracy theory trap. Y2K was coming up, Ruby Ridge and the Oklahoma City bombing were fresh memories.

The bug out bag checklist is practical, well rounded, and makes sense as a starting point or baseline for many people who want to cover many possible scenarios. Like me, I know some of you in these forums are advanced enough to customize your own bag for your needs and it likely looks different than this. But this is the most helpful BOB list I’ve seen.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not bad sites for their intended purpose. I think I might do something like that - "Land and Sea Navigation for the Novice" or some thing like that. LOL I could modify the one I did for the Rotary Club a while back.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Thanks, I especially identify with this;

Don’t let prepping overwhelm or defeat you. It’s important to enjoy the good life now and not go down a dark spiral of doomsday depression or blow your life savings on supplies. You can prepare without giving up, just like how buying health insurance doesn’t mean you’ve given up on your health.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Avoid “double dipping” your gear. It’s tempting to pick stuff out of your bug out bag for a camping trip, for example. But then life tends to get in the way, the gear stays scattered, and that creates windows where an emergency might strike and you’re unprepared.
My biggest problem.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,886 Posts
My biggest problem.
Indeed.

But I now own something like 8 or 9 Leatherman Super-tools (or their equivalents by Gerber or some other manufacturer) in various bins, bags, mount-out kits, or tactical rigs.

And lets not talk about back-packing stoves...

:eek:

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Indeed.

But I now own something like 8 or 9 Leatherman Super-tools (or their equivalents by Gerber or some other manufacturer) in various bins, bags, mount-out kits, or tactical rigs.

And lets not talk about back-packing stoves...

:eek:
If you've got the money. I bought my car for the price of about 9 leatherman tools.

I just don't have the resources to buy nice stuff and not use it. So it all gets used. Which is often, not a problem because that means I have it with me anyway, because I'm using it...but it also means that sometimes my tools are tied up in projects and not instantly available.

I try to justify this by being a pretty dedicated bug-in'er, but its still bad practice without an easy way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts