Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are always retail stores like EMS and REI, but does anyone regularly use a particular website or store to get your gear?

SteepAndCheap.com sells only one item at a time, and once the timer is up, they get rid of it and put a new deal up. Ive bought a few things from them, they have quick shipping and good customer service.

SierraTradingPost.com Has lots of discount and surplus gear. They will tell you if the items are new, seconds, irregulars, refurbished, etc. There are usually good deals, and the customer service is excellent. I bought a softshell from them once, and the day after I ordered it, they marked the price down 50%. I emailed customer service, and they gave me the discount price with next to no hassle.

HarborFreight.com has a wide selection of tools. I like to use them for hand tools, but I also have bought a pneumatic jack for very cheap, a welder, and a 1/3 hp electric motor. Good prices, just watch for quality.

Does anyone else want to share any other websites or stores they use that offer good deals on good gear? Maybe we can get a list going

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heres a few I like to use.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Default.aspx They have some good deals on military surplus and survival gear. One time they delayed my order for about a week without me knowing because of a " out of stock item". When I did finally receive my order there was about $50 of free goodies :thumb:

http://theepicenter.com Good site if you want to make your own custom M.R.Es. IMO MREs are either hit or miss now you can just buy the good meals. They also have great customer service.

http://jandadiscountmilitarysurplus.com Another good site for military surplus never had a problem with a order.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
I view steepandcheap on most days. I've bought a siltarp and a heart rate monitor from them. They often have great deals on winter gear, but it's mostly geared towards the ski crowd. But a discerning person can find the really good deals.

·
BasicPrepper.com
251 Posts
Lately i have been trying to get inovative with goodwill, salvation army, and yard sale items

ebay is good to for many items, I saved getting my leki treking poles and thermarest sleep pad there.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thrift stores are awesome. You generally have to look at several, and go back a few times because inventory is so unpredictable. But, you can find some great stuff there. Generally they will have fleeces, military clothing, and other outdoor clothing there. I have gotten lucky with sleeping mats and external frame packs a few times. If you go to the ones in rich neighborhoods, they have better stuff.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks a lot for the sites you guys, I've been looking to stock up on some supplies but don't want to completely empty my bank account. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although its a little off topic Newegg is a great place for electronics and computer parts.

Overstock.com has a outdoor section with $3 shipping last I checked. Selection isnt great, but its worth a look.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
Newegg is a great place for electronics and gear parts but be careful because there is a virus out there going out with fake NewEgg.com emails. It's not really coming from NewEgg but it looks like it is, and if you open the "receipt" attached you get the virus.

·
Voluntaryist.
274 Posts
I am not sure if it will be frowned upon, but in the past I and a fellow prepper use to check the dumpsters at Goodwills, Salvation Army's, Village Thrift etc. A lot of times when people donate stuff if the store does not think it will sell they toss it...or if it sits in the store for too long they toss it. I have gotten coleman camping stoves, lanterns, merrell camp shoes, boots, jackets, tools, books, radios, 2 tents etc. We usually went to more "upscale" areas, thats where the best hauls came from.
Just side note, a good friend of mine she would dumpster the same ones we did, and would resell stuff at yard sales for side money.
Check your local laws...but i have never had a issue as long as you do not make a mess.

Just another way to get decent and free goods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts