Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most people know, GPS is quickly becoming a part of everyday life.

We have a GPS receiver in our cars, and our cell phones. The technology is and will continue to advance.

I wanted to start a thread about how people on this forum use their GPS receivers.

Including:

Hunting applications, Mapping (and software to do so), Hiking, Climbing, Flying, Marine Navigation, Street Navigation ect...

I will start with what i have learned and experiences i have had.

I am currently going to college to receive a Minor in Geographical Information Science. Amongst many classes pertaining to how to use data collected from GPS, i have taken many classes dealing with the use and application of GPS receivers. I have used mapping grade Trimble receivers, and currently own a recreational grade Garmin Etrex 20.

I have navigated through mountain Ranges in Montana using my Garmin. This receiver can get approximately 7 Foot accuracy, and is using the American GPS system as well as the Russian GLONASS system. This Receiver receives real time corrections from the WAAS and ENGO base stations.

Software I use:

I use Garmin BaseCamp to load maps and manage Waypoints and Tracks on my Receiver. Also, to produce maps from my Garmin I use ArcGIS; this program is very expensive. Also i use the open source free GIS program Called Quantum GIS.

At this point mapping gets technical; Waypoints and Tracks must be downloaded and converted into a ESRI Shapefile using DNR GPS (which is a free program provided by Minnesota Department of Natural Resources). Then manipulate the data in either GIS program.

I would like to hear/ discuss about how others use their GPS's

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is true; there are many applications of GPS that concern me. Emergency services that are properly equipped can track a cell phone, Though; this is not entirely because phones have a gps receiver in them. Cell phone locations can be found by triangulating the signal off of three cell phone towers.

In very recent uses; gps trackers have been placed in pill bottles to help law enforcement track down people that are stealing prescription drugs. GPS units are also strapped to people that are on house arrest.

Undoubtedly, as the GPS becomes more advanced there will be applications that will by some people (including me) consider to be a breach of privacy.

·
Web Designer
764 Posts
I have a lot of experience using "Microsoft Streets and Trips" on my Laptop.

IMO it's the best GPS for a laptop.
- It shows where you are on a "helicopter" view map
- It can make a trail and mark exactly where you have already been.
- You can write notes on the map.
- It's pretty cheap but you need the GPS receiver, NOT just the software.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As most people know, GPS is quickly becoming a part of everyday life.

We have a GPS receiver in our cars, and our cell phones. The technology is and will continue to advance.

I wanted to start a thread about how people on this forum use their GPS receivers.

Including:

Hunting applications, Mapping (and software to do so), Hiking, Climbing, Flying, Marine Navigation, Street Navigation ect...

I will start with what i have learned and experiences i have had.

I am currently going to college to receive a Minor in Geographical Information Science. Amongst many classes pertaining to how to use data collected from GPS, i have taken many classes dealing with the use and application of GPS receivers. I have used mapping grade Trimble receivers, and currently own a recreational grade Garmin Etrex 20.

I have navigated through mountain Ranges in Montana using my Garmin. This receiver can get approximately 7 Foot accuracy, and is using the American GPS system as well as the Russian GLONASS system. This Receiver receives real time corrections from the WAAS and ENGO base stations.

Software I use:

I use Garmin BaseCamp to load maps and manage Waypoints and Tracks on my Receiver. Also, to produce maps from my Garmin I use ArcGIS; this program is very expensive. Also i use the open source free GIS program Called Quantum GIS.

At this point mapping gets technical; Waypoints and Tracks must be downloaded and converted into a ESRI Shapefile using DNR GPS (which is a free program provided by Minnesota Department of Natural Resources). Then manipulate the data in either GIS program.

I would like to hear/ discuss about how others use their GPS's
We just closed on a large property about a week ago. Yesterday I was using the GPS on my iphone5 to plugs coordinates into google earth on my (tethered) mac to see where I was. The sat image showed me about twenty yards away from where I knew I was standing! Very disappointing. Any idea what could have been the problem? The app I was using on the phone was Motion X. Do I need to buy a dedicated handheld? Are they a lot more accurate? I'd really like to get coordinates of boundaries and various locations nailed down for reference without involving any more expensive visits from a a surveyor.

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
All my GPS is usually marks POI's like places good for a campsite, stream and ravine crossing points, hammocking points, and parking spots. LAter I transfer the POI UTM to a sheet and then just compass and topo in the future. If I am lazy or in a new area I will use the gps, but I find maps more accurate when available.

One handy feature is the trail feature to add new trails to paper maps or to track the movement of animals through an area. At college we also use GPS collars for wildlife to track their diurnal and nocturnal movements as well as home range.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Kriss;

There are a few things i can think of; depending on the scale your looking at in Google earth there can be a certain amount of distortion between the coordinates your phone collected and the base map Google Earth is using.

I use my Samsung smart phone for navigation using GPS; the accuracy is not always the best. Also depending on what kind of overhead obstruction you may have had could have messed with your position.

A dedicated hand held GPS will always be more accurate; my $169 Garmin Etrex 20 will average a position down to 2 Foot accuracy. And you can get the coordinates off of the receiver after averaging and plug them right into Google Earth.

Hope this was helpful

·
Registered
62 Posts
i disable in my cell phone but i've heard that it actually is on and reporting your location even if you disable and turn your phone off. you have to actually remove the battery from your cell phone to prevent it from constantly ratting out you location.

similarly, there's something called "geolocation" that uses cell towers, wifi routers, your IP address etc to spy on you and report back to whoever wants this info. i disable it in Opera, Firefox, Thunderbird, and thru my USB modem. these things get implemented fast because there's big money in knowing your location, supposedly just for targeted ads but who knows where it stops. they love spying on you and compiling profile data on you.

·
Rollin' in
2,869 Posts
i disable in my cell phone but i've heard that it actually is on and reporting your location even if you disable and turn your phone off. you have to actually remove the battery from your cell phone to prevent it from constantly ratting out you location.
This is a commonly held misconception. If you have your phone turned off it cannot be tracked. Period. I am a LEO with extensive experience in this realm. If it's off, you ain't tracking. The best you can get is the last known general location of when the phone was powered on.

similarly, there's something called "geolocation" that uses cell towers, wifi routers, your IP address etc to spy on you and report back to whoever wants this info.
To say that "whoever wants" the information can get it is a bit misleading. Certainly information generated by your phone could be obtained by third parties, but not by just "whoever".

i disable it in Opera, Firefox, Thunderbird, and thru my USB modem. these things get implemented fast because there's big money in knowing your location, supposedly just for targeted ads but who knows where it stops. they love spying on you and compiling profile data on you.
This much IS true. Which is why you should download and enable Ghostery when you use the internet. I have a regular old, "dumb" flip cell phone with location services turned off. If I ever needed to go on the lam, the first thing I'd do is go to the interstate, hit a rest stop on the south side of the highway, drop my phone in the bed of a pickup truck, and head due west.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
Not committing any crimes recently - having my own mind not to buy anything I don't want to - and some places I post up photos ( like here :rolleyes: ) I don't care whether the geolocation is on or not --- but in case of a emergency or If I call in a accident --- 911 locate is always on :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts