Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good hand held gps unit. Not primarily for car but something that could work in a vehicle as well. I bought one of those little yellow units, but it required you to go to the website and download geocache coordinates and wouldn't let you put in what you wanted.

I need something for hunting, geo-caching, turn by turn driving directions, is color with a decent sized screen, decent battery life, AND I can input the coordinates without having to go to a friggen website to do it. Can anyone educate me as to the possibilities before I make yet another mistake?

I know very little about these units. I already have one for my vehicle, and I need something relatively waterproof.

I really appreciate the help.

Cool Hand

·
keep it light, rambo!
130 Posts
There is no such thing as handheld that will work in a car for road navigation. The old streetpilots are as close as you can get to that but they are slow and battery life sucks.

good handheld, garmin mappers. ~500$

·
Registered
388 Posts
Check out the Dakota series from Garmin. Or I have a Garmin Rino 530 hcx and it can switch from topo maps and street maps with autorouting, put in an addy and it would route you.
Almost all of Garmin handhelds will do autorouting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Garmin Etrex Vista. You can download a street map program and a topo program and switch between the two. I used one in my pick up for a few years. It's on my mountian bike now and I use a Garmin Nuvi in my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Personally I would recommend a used GPS equipped smartphone. Unlike more dedicated units it is much easier with a smartphone to get free/cheap software that does the things you want it to do. Also all the additional non GPS related software / features you probably would never have thought of. Getting a decent used one will save you a lot of money and for your requirements I don't think you would need the latest greatest models anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts