Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,460 Posts
The exercise in question has been scheduled for a long time. Has nothing to do with VA. From my understanding GPS not working, if it is affected, would only affect planes.

·
Semper Fi
8,962 Posts
The exercise in question has been scheduled for a long time. Has nothing to do with VA. From my understanding GPS not working, if it is affected, would only affect planes.
If they scramble the signal from the GPS satellites there is no way for it to only affect certain receivers. It's all or nothing.

·
Super Moderator
14,460 Posts
If they scramble the signal from the GPS satellites there is no way for it to only affect certain receivers. It's all or nothing.
I though that to. However,evidently they arent scrambling the signal from the source, they are sending out some kind of signal that is only at a certain altitude that would block GPS.

I could easily be wrong. This is what I have read from people talking about this.

Reactions: Justme11

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Steve is correct. If you spoof GPS in an area, it will affect all GPS in range. I don't believe it will be purposely done, at least in secret, and certainly not by the government, for the following reason:

During the last 25 years, the FAA has been trying to get out of the earth-station based air navigation business. Reason? Annual maintenance cost for VOR land based for point to point air navigation, and ILS radio transmitter (Instrument Landing System) maintenance is costing over 1$billion a year. GPS, using space based satellites do the job far better and at lower cost.

For years now, nearly all aircraft have been using GPS for both en-route and terminal approach to landing procedures. They have been so successful, entirely new navigation techniques have been developed which depend on GPS. When flying enroute, for example, they now fly 10 aircraft in the same physical space as earth based systems only allowed 2. Systems such as TCAS (Collision Avoidance) use GPS positions and altitude as a basis of allowing aircraft to approach MUCH closer than most people realize as they fly along having their super expensive diet drinks. Many of the other new systems, ADS-B for example, depend on accurate GPS position and altitude to function correctly.

If a decision was made to turn off (or "spoof") GPS, all of the aircraft in the area would be effected and to possibly devastating results. The Pilots would know that the system had gone totally off, but would NOT know if it was simply sending the wrong data. They have multiple GPS units, and all units would be showing the same. Some aircraft, with multiple redundant navaids would know pretty quickly - others would not.

In GPS positioning, a 100 foot error at 40,000 feet isn't a big deal. When terminating an approach into DC during a snow storm, 100 feet and you miss the runway.

In EMP parlance, think of the airborne GPS as the power infrastructure of landlines. Having it go down would be a really bad thing.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
My GPS has been wacky a lot the last few months here on Long Island. I will be head West on the LIE and it says NE or something like that. I was heading south from the VA hospital and it said I was traveling NE the changed to NW. LOL

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,622 Posts
I though that to. However,evidently they arent scrambling the signal from the source, they are sending out some kind of signal that is only at a certain altitude that would block GPS.

I could easily be wrong. This is what I have read from people talking about this.
It is certainly possible that they are just screwing up the signal in specific zones like you say.

They do this full time around sensitive locations. I think they basically subvert the WAAS system (wide area augmentation system), that used to be a way to make GPS more accurate around locally installed transmitters. It would know the precise location of the transmitter and would generate a "correction" signal, back when GPS was only accurate to 100 meters or so, to get 1 meter accuracy.

but if their local augmentation transmitter broadcasts a hugely wrong correction signal, it would render GPS in that specific area useless.

I read a while back that they actually have to take Einstein's Time dilation theory into account for the ultra precise clocks on the GPS satellites.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,622 Posts
My GPS has been wacky a lot the last few months here on Long Island. I will be head West on the LIE and it says NE or something like that. I was heading south from the VA hospital and it said I was traveling NE the changed to NW. LOL
If you are driving past an important airport, factory or dam, etc, You will see your GPS all of a sudden indicate your location is miles away from where you actually are.

Denies use of the system by an enemy to direct their missiles.
of course they all have their own GPS system now. Russian Glonass and the Chinese are in the process of bringing their system online.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,491 Posts
Denies use of the system by an enemy to direct their missiles.
of course they all have their own GPS system now. Russian Glonass and the Chinese are in the process of bringing their system online.
The Russian GLONASS system has been online for at least a couple of years. I use it with my Garmin GPS unit. When I combined the USA GPS system with the Russian GLONASS system, the accuracy when locating a waypoint went from about 10 to 15 feet to about 4 or 5 feet. That's a scary thought when it comes to an enemy using it to direct their missiles.

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,356 Posts
Watch the Alex Jones video on that page. He looks more deranged every time I see him. That's too bad. I really liked him several years ago.
Take Alex Jones with a grain of salt but I don't dismiss him completely.

Earlier this week, Alex Jones declared on his broadcast that the deep state was going to “attempt to assassinate Trump next week.” Could this military exercise, and the FBI night vision devices, and the drones scanning the Midwest all be related?
Get prepared, America. The deep state is about to unleash total war against us all. They plan to kill the President, criminalize the Second Amendment, destroy the First Amendment, crash the economy, start race riots and basically plunge the country into nationwide chaos.
I guess we'll find out.

https://www.infowars.com/breaking-military-to-jam-gps-signals-across-east-coast-through-jan-24th/

Virginia Lobby Day could be a huge test as to how the powers that be react to gun owners standing up for themselves. It will let us all know if they (TPTB) are insane or not.

·
Registered
34,704 Posts
I dont have geocached supplies. Im not going to be calling in arty or airstikes. I use a compass in the woods. This wouldnt affect me.
Unless you have no contact wirh , and depend upon no one else for anything (and because your reading this That is not the case)

It affects you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts