Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang, we all have concerns about the future and potential problems and one of them is the shut down of Government. Now we have an elected official thats actually advocating letting the State of California shut down in order to have THEIR WAY in the annual State budget negotiations.

It will probably not happen but he is WILLING to shut down State services just to win a political ****ing match?

http://www.sacbee.com

Torrico: Democrats should dare GOP to shut down government
In the annual game of budget chicken, Democrats should allow the state to reach a more desperate state of affairs if Republicans do not agree to raise taxes, Assemblyman Alberto Torrico said Tuesday.

Torrico, a Newark Democrat running for attorney general, suggested that Democrats have been too quick to negotiate with Republicans in the past.

"(Democrats) are unwilling to go past June 30th or July 15th or August 1st with a complete closure of state government," Torrico, left, said in a meeting with The Bee Capitol Bureau. "We are unwilling to do that, so we basically go in and negotiate with our hands behind our back."

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
That is just normal for our CA idiots that fail to deal with any sort of reality or sense of urgency. Tax and spend has always worked and they just figure it will now. The entitlement mega herd demands what is due them no matter how bad the economy. I guess that they are so used to the days past where the money was rolling in from all the .coms and billionaires stock options.

When they raise the taxes even higher the business world & smart people will move across the border to escape the insanity. Only 40 miles away for me.

Red

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think it would be good for them to shut down for a while, maybe a few days, maybe a week or a Month....nah, just shut down!
Hmmm....wonder how much closer they would come to balancing the budget if EVERY government employee took a 2 or 3 day furlough without pay? I'd be all for it if it would help the state I was living in keep from imploding.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm....wonder how much closer they would come to balancing the budget if EVERY government employee took a 2 or 3 day furlough without pay? I'd be all for it if it would help the state I was living in keep from imploding.
It does seem to be only a select few doesn't it. Somehow I don't see the Legislature or staff taking any cuts. In fact the new Assembly Speaker just gave out huge raises to staffers.

I'm not sure there is much of ANY help for this State.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Ah, ye of short memories...

In 1995 the Republicans refused to approve the Federal budget and the government 'shut down' twice for several days. The social, political, and economic costs were enormous (you've got a problem, you call a governmental office to try to sort it out, no one answers the phone: What do you do THEN?) and Newt Gingrich's career never recovered from it.

Insanity - or stupidity - is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

In 1995 the Republicans refused to approve the Federal budget and the government 'shut down' twice for several days. The social, political, and economic costs were enormous (you've got a problem, you call a governmental office to try to sort it out, no one answers the phone: What do you do THEN?) and Newt Gingrich's career never recovered from it.

Insanity - or stupidity - is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...
Ah, ye of little knowledge of history (which isn't taught in America anymore). Shutdowns of the Federal gov't has happened numerous times throughout American history, caused by both parties. Personally, I think we all survived the shutdown in the 90's easily, which only proves to me that we don't need so much gov't.

The republicans lost their power because they lied and failed to uphold the Contract with America. Also, what economic cost were there--other than smaller gov't for a little while? The problem is that we, collectively, always want to call the gov't when we have problems instead of handling them ourselves, which only creates bigger gov't. The truth is, most gov't business really isn't needed.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
I was an air traffic controller then, and I can tell you that even during the shutdown we were told to be at work or we'd be fired. We don't know when you'll get paid, but you'll be at work or you'll be unemployed was the line.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts

The cost wern't ENORMOUS for me and millions of other Americans...hell, I hardly noticed. They (the government people) told us how bad that was to be shut down for a few days!

I'm glad Newt Gingrich shut it down, don't forget Billy Clinton was the "other" half of the "public tamtrum" he just blamed the other side!

Also, don't forget how Clinton and his friends blamed the evvvvil rightwing for cutting the budget to DEATH..........then went around taking credit for a balanced budget!!!

ahhhhhhhh...those were the days!

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
The cost wern't ENORMOUS for me and millions of other Americans...hell, I hardly noticed. They (the government people) told us how bad that was to be shut down for a few days!

I'm glad Newt Gingrich shut it down, don't forget Billy Clinton was the "other" half of the "public tamtrum" he just blamed the other side!

Also, don't forget how Clinton and his friends blamed the evvvvil rightwing for cutting the budget to DEATH..........then went around taking credit for a balanced budget!!!

ahhhhhhhh...those were the days!
That used to drive me nuts! The dems fought welfare reform and the balanced budget but when all was said and done they stuck a feather in their caps and claimed they did it.
Even today clintonistas still try to claim that he ushered in welfare reform.

Ya know, as far as presidents go he wasn't that bad because he didn't really do ANYTHING.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You do know that CA state emplyees are currently on 3 days/month furlough and CSU employees are on 2 days/month furlough? And yes those are un paid furloughs. these furloughs have been in place since october 2009 for the state employees and surprise of surprises the budget gap has continued to grow.

Before you get too enthusiastic about shuting down the government It might be wise to remember that the prison guards are gvt employees. They may be over paid but I want someone to keep the prosoners on their side of the fence.

The biggest problem with 49 of the states and the federal govt is that their budgets are based on PROJECTED income. Arkansass collects money for the current years budget from the previous years revenues so they are spending actual cash in hand vs some bs fantasy of what they think they will make during the year. There would still be tax and spend arguments and entitlemant debates but there would not be deficit spending if CA would change to spending actual revenue in hand

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
Maybe she's suggesting 2 or 3 days a week. California state employees shouldn't be any more entitled to a regular job than if a private company were going bankrupt. There certainly could be exceptions for vital personnel like prison guards and those 11 guys on the road crews that stand around while three or four do the work. Ok, I'm serious about the prison guards. Some jobs are vital. But there are plenty that aren't.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
That used to drive me nuts! The dems fought welfare reform and the balanced budget but when all was said and done they stuck a feather in their caps and claimed they did it.
Even today clintonistas still try to claim that he ushered in welfare reform.

Ya know, as far as presidents go he wasn't that bad because he didn't really do ANYTHING.
Well... it STILLS drives me nuts!!

Clinton (and friends) went kicking and screaming to a balanced budget. I'm glad you remember this history Diddy, how many times did they rant and rave how the evvvvil ones were slashing budgets, cutting, this, cutting that until the budget was finally balanced.

Then (like you said) took all the credit for doing it!!

LOL...your right, the Clintonistas STILL to this day will talk about how Bill balanced the budget....lol!

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Let them return all state employee levels back to when the budget was balanced. Cut all the politicians and their numerous assistants back to the pay levels of the balanced budget years. Then cut out all those feather bedded assistants to a bare minimum.

Nobody can tell me that won't save a large amount of money. do a little research of the pay levels in the public jobs and you will be shocked.

If they think they are going to tax me to death they can keep dreaming. Oregon is 40 miles north of me right now and the tax savings would offset the cost of a new residence rather quickly. A large state income tax hike will make my decision easy.

Red

·
Registered
216 Posts
Let them return all state employee levels back to when the budget was balanced. Cut all the politicians and their numerous assistants back to the pay levels of the balanced budget years. Then cut out all those feather bedded assistants to a bare minimum.

Nobody can tell me that won't save a large amount of money. do a little research of the pay levels in the public jobs and you will be shocked.

If they think they are going to tax me to death they can keep dreaming. Oregon is 40 miles north of me right now and the tax savings would offset the cost of a new residence rather quickly. A large state income tax hike will make my decision easy.

Red
That would be last year. California is bound by the state constitution to have a ballanced budget every year. The problem is that has lead to ballot measue funding and bond debt now accounts for over 40% of the state budget. the other problem is that each years "ballanced" budget is based on projected income not on cash in hand. solve those two issues and we would be in the black by a wide margin.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well living in the this wonderful land of "Fruits, Flakes, And Nuts".

I say that NO State legislator, (Regardless of party) should get a single paycheck or reimbursement of any kind for anything, as long as the budget isn't balanced. Want to see how long it would take to balance it then? And as far as that goes neither should there staff receive a paycheck either until balanced. Think they wouldn't be hounding there boss to get it settled?

"Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~~Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.