Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just reading the thread on Governments declaring food hoarding illegal and was remembering how FDR declared it illegal for private citizens to own gold. How likely is it that we will see a repeat of this as our economy continues to sag and China keeps pushing for a "Gold Standard" for the world economy? What would you do if the Feds showed up at your door and demanded you hand over your gold coins? With all the rumors about Fort Knox being empty, how likely do you think this might be?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just now realizing I should have put this in the Precious Metals catagory. Hey, it's late and I have had no coffee. If I had any gold I would hide it as well. However there will be those who are found out, or informed upon, and will loose their investment.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
We're here for your gold coins.

Coins? What coins?

That's how well that'd go down.
Exactly. People today are not the same as they were back then. There is a lot more distrust of the government of today vs. back then.
The whole "screw me once, shame on you" thingy.
We have seen how that "gold confiscation" thing worked out.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,385 Posts
Frankly, why would they bother?

Only a tiny number of Americans own physical gold now. The Feds demonstrated a month or so back that they could easily manipulate the future trading price of a commodity, when they doubled the reserve ratio for silver.

I believe the Federal give is committed to fiat currencies. They only need to control the rate that gold and silver can increase to keep folks from fleeing dollars into gold. They succeeded with nearly all American and even a number of folks here.

So why refight a battle when you have already won.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Does my shabby little overgrown property look as though it would house anything as precious as gold? :) Nothing on record would indicate it would or does.

·
What would Mal do
4,912 Posts
nope..don't see em bothering to come to your front door.
Many folks are only holding paper saying they have gold (dumb!)

others don't have enough to really matter ..eye droplete in the big lake.

Govt can pass law that would render your couple ounces inoperable in the market and all you've got is a shiney coin for your collection.

and if the economy is in great depression and you come up to me needing a roof over your head, because you've been out of work and the govt won't allow you to exchange your 4 ounces of gold for rent money and you want to hand me market value $6,000 worth of gold coins in exchange for my cozy warm paid-for camper...take a hike.

If you've got a very healthy financial portfolio and you want some of it to be in PMs...good fer you. If your entire wealth consists of a couple ounces of gold..get it in a form that you can put in your pocket, not on your monthly financial statement.

but do expect that if the current govt pattern continues, they will find a way to get hold of not just your gold, but your entire portfolio.

like that wizard Gandof (spelling? I'm not a Ring fan) used to say..Keep it safe..keep it hidden.

·
What would Mal do
4,912 Posts
ok...here's a relevant lesson I just learned yesterday while touring an old southern plantation...the plantation is one of many that were called "Pickpocket" plantations.
they were set up as a work farm for criminals who had been convicted of..yep..pickpocketing and other such crimes..henc the name.

You would be sent there to serve a period of work time to pay for your sin.
Each week you would get paid in tokens that had the name of the particular plantation on it..local stores accepted these tokens as money..so that kept you from just getting paid in national currency and taking off before you had served your time, but you were at least able to shop and purchase items from local merchants with these tokens.

it's been done before and there are those who learn from history.

·
Future Codgers of America
218 Posts
(putting on tinfoil hat)
I heard another rumor that the government has been putitng RFID tags in all gold coins since the mid 80s.

They will find them.....
(readjusts tin-foil hat) DANG! NOW I HAVE TO RUN ALL OF MY GOLD CONS THRU THE MICROWAVE!!!! THEY CAN HAVE MINE WHEN THEY PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!!!!! (takes off tin-foil hat) Actually, I don't have any gold coins (but it was fun pretending :D:). I think junk silver will be the most useful post SHTF anyway.

+N

·
Registered
389 Posts
(readjusts tin-foil hat) DANG! NOW I HAVE TO RUN ALL OF MY GOLD CONS THRU THE MICROWAVE!!!! THEY CAN HAVE MINE WHEN THEY PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!!!!! (takes off tin-foil hat) Actually, I don't have any gold coins (but it was fun pretending :D:). I think junk silver will be the most useful post SHTF anyway.

+N
:D::D::D:

:thumb:

I am constantly amazed what people are willing to get worked up over and freak out because someone on the internets or TV told them. Especially since most of this stuff has no factual basis just plays on general the sky is falling paranoia.

To me I would rather put my money into worthwhile stuff such as food, ammo, seeds, better more efficient technology to do something than gold/silver that is only worth what someone has deemed it be worth.

Although I love people like this because when they are fearful that they will lose power they go out and buy stuff like the biggest and badest generator and after a couple years of waiting and nothing happens they realize the sky is not falling and they need money. There I am to lowball them and get a great deal.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Was just reading the thread on Governments declaring food hoarding illegal and was remembering how FDR declared it illegal for private citizens to own gold.
Different situation gold was money back then confiscation was need to devalue the $ now they just do what they're doing to devalue, there's a better chance of food or firearm confiscation now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Different situation gold was money back then confiscation was need to devalue the $ now they just do what they're doing to devalue, there's a better chance of food or firearm confiscation now.
and there is probably zero chance of those happening either because it would be a public outcry and god forbid it actually passed it would be in unenforcable disasterious mess.

For decade plus I have heard every year they are going to take my guns away. Every year I walk in and 15 minutes later walk out with a gun. I have heard countless times bullet taxes, ar15 will be banned, and good luck getting anything that requires a form 4. Every year buddies get suppressors with no problems and I buy bullets without added taxes.

Flat out tarded laws are proposed every day and a majority are done solely to appease a group and anyone with commone sense will realize there is no chance of them ever getting close to being a law.

·
Registered
582 Posts
and there is probably zero chance of those happening either because it would be a public outcry and god forbid it actually passed it would be in unenforcable disasterious mess.

For decade plus I have heard every year they are going to take my guns away. Every year I walk in and 15 minutes later walk out with a gun. I have heard countless times bullet taxes, ar15 will be banned, and good luck getting anything that requires a form 4. Every year buddies get suppressors with no problems and I buy bullets without added taxes.

Flat out tarded laws are proposed every day and a majority are done solely to appease a group and anyone with commone sense will realize there is no chance of them ever getting close to being a law.
You vastly underestimate how much work has been done to keep it that way. In some places, things are getting worse at an ever-more-rapid pace (CA, NY, MA, etc).

·
Registered
389 Posts
You vastly underestimate how much work has been done to keep it that way. In some places, things are getting worse at an ever-more-rapid pace (CA, NY, MA, etc).

links please....

make them reputable too not abovetopsecret or tinfoilhatesociety

Anything involving CA and NY you know are going to be screwed up laws to begin with. I mean come on in CA you cannot get plastic grocery bags and NY it is probably illegal to smoke anywhere.

However; people chose to live their and thus they live under those laws and they voted in the leadership that supported them and continued to support them when they proposed insanely stupid laws. If I hated the laws of my state guess what I would probably move or do something besides sit behind my keyboard and bitch. Maybe that is part of it becaue Indiana loves their freedom and hate the man.

also, if we are talking gun/knife laws yes CA and NY are messed up. My one buddy cannot buy throwing knives in NY and for him to get a handgun is damn near an act of congress and NJ good luck getting a magazine over 10 rounds.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I honestly am curious because over the years I have gotten good at filtering out the nonsense tinfoil hat crap and try to look at stuff realistically. However; if I am missing someone I want to know so I can start annoying people who have been elected so they know my opinion.

For the record I am not a huge fan of government interfence in my life nor do I think I should support lazy bastards who are to good to flip burgers at McDonalds.

I have seen people spin animal hording laws into they are trying to stop me from piling food or the fact that your house requires a Hazmat suit to get into because of the rotting garbage and trash that you are hording so you better do something to stop that guy from killing my property value or possibly getting my family sick with some messed bird meets swine flu.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts