Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Never Abducted
14,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had Hungarian Goulash. Growing up, one of the recipes in my mothers rotation was American Chop Suey, which many refer to as goulash, or American Goulash. It was a mixture of elbow macaroni,ground beef, onions, peppers, and a tomato sauce. Tasty, yet vastly dissimilar to what I have read of the goulash of your land.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi. The real hungarian goulash really tasty and quite different as for examle here in germany. I tried to eat goulash at my workplace but never found good. If I want, my wife make at home :) It's my fortune.

·
Never Abducted
14,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. The real hungarian goulash really tasty and quite different as for examle here in germany. I tried to eat goulash at my workplace but never found good. If I want, my wife make at home :) It's my fortune.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I love trying the cuisines of different regions.

It is a blessing to have a wife that cooks well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Don't forget to let it settle for a good day, I tend to add a tube of tomato puree and some black pepper to mine to really strengthen the flavour

·
Registered
623 Posts
I can translate one for you.

Original Hungarian goulash recipe

1 kg beef meet
1 kg potato
15 dkg onion
5 dkg red paprika powder
some salt
1,6-2 l water

Chop the onion to little pieces and put it in the steel pot. Clean the meat and cut it to 1x1 inch pieces. Put the meat pieces on the onion. Add water, start to cook it. If the water is boiling, add salt and half of the paprika powder. Don't remove the foam. Cook it, until the meat gets soft. Then add the sliced potato. Cook it another 20 mins. Couple minutes before it's done add the other half of the paprika powder.

I like it with cold sour cream and some fresh bread.

There are like 20 more Hungarian goulash recipes. :)

·
Never Abducted
14,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't forget to let it settle for a good day, I tend to add a tube of tomato puree and some black pepper to mine to really strengthen the flavour
Gotta have pepper.:thumb:

Man that looks tasty.

I can translate one for you.

Original Hungarian goulash recipe

1 kg beef meet
1 kg potato
15 dkg onion
5 dkg red paprika powder
some salt
1,6-2 l water

Chop the onion to little pieces and put it in the steel pot. Clean the meat and cut it to 1x1 inch pieces. Put the meat pieces on the onion. Add water, start to cook it. If the water is boiling, add salt and half of the paprika powder. Don't remove the foam. Cook it, until the meat gets soft. Then add the sliced potato. Cook it another 20 mins. Couple minutes before it's done add the other half of the paprika powder.

I like it with cold sour cream and some fresh bread.

There are like 20 more Hungarian goulash recipes. :)
Sounds good too. Thanks.:thumb:

It´s not bad Steve, but where is the carrot and turnip? They come always in goulash in my region. In yours?
Do you have a recipe Koxi? I always put carrots in my soups and stews, and I love turnips.

Wow Steve, I love that cook pot!:thumb:
And all the goulash input.:)
That is an awesome pot.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It´s not bad Steve, but where is the carrot and turnip? They come always in goulash in my region. In yours?
I don't know, looks like this recipe was carrotless. :D:

We eat U.S. style goulash, that one has carrot. It's funny I eat more goulash in the US than I ate back in the time in Hungary. :)

·
Proud to be Welsh.
862 Posts
You really do need the sour cream with it and crusty bread :)

Any of the American members here cook Ox Tails? I love Ox tail stew and its good in a Goulash too, long slooooooow cooking and the stock/flavour is fantastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I'm here again. Soooo. What was the question? Ah, yes.
@gamgee: no, I don't have recipe. I can not cooking. I can only say, if it tasty or not :thumb: My wife cooks the goulash for me. But always with carrots and turnips

1 - 16 of 16 Posts