Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the term cabin loosely. I will not be chopping down trees and stack them. Yes, I wish I was man enough too but I am not.

I recently received the okay from my girlfriend (financial reasons) and my parents (property). My parents own a decent hunk of property in Kansas and after working their land and helping my dad out he allowed me to have a small chunk to build my small (8' x 10') cabin. It will be built on a pier and beam setup. I need no advice on that.

My issue here is strictly monetary. I've been in construction for years. I would like to build it with 2x4 and go from there. The plus side to this is insulation and my choice on interior and exterior finishes. The minus is cost.

My other choices is those 3x5 landscaping timbers. Build all the walls from that. No insulation or interior finishing or exterior siding. On a $ level, definitely a plus.

My question is this, have any of you been through this decision or are going through it now?

I don't need anyone to tell me how to build or how not to build, just a suggestion of materials.

Also, I know there are only a few of you on here but I must state the following: I understand that my cabin will not survive a nuclear attack. I am not building a BOL. I'm simply building my view of paradise. Less than 100 ft from two ponds stocked with fish and plenty or wildlife to go around.

I appreciate your time. Thanks.
BStomp.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I think I would allow for expanding it in the future. 8X10 is very small. One concern with the treated landscape posts is they warp bad and the chemicals used would be on the interior of cabin.
Were you thinking of stacking the 2X4's. I wouldn't think the insulation value would be that great. If you had access to slab lumber, you could build a traditional frame wall with OSB for sheathing and put the slab lumber on the outside. Could do the inside also if you wanted. Just my 2 cents.

·
Survivalist
260 Posts
Look i know you aren't harvesting the timber from nearby but your small cabin looks like something i found on the internet. I'm sure you'll be interested as it is also small/ overnight cabin. Although this was from harvested timber it might make you change your mind on how you do things.

·
Registered
154 Posts
personally man id go with stick framing it with 2x4 that way you could get some good r 19 insulation maybe even have it spray foamed if you budget allows. stacking the landscaping timbers wouldnt leave room for a possible expansion if needed J/s plus i wouldnt want arsenic inside my cabin. i do like the rough sawn lumber idea on the outside... did my smokehouse that way looks good anyway....if its a cheap your going for try 4x8 sheets of panel siding that should work fine but it ain't real pretty. if i might add.... if your just sleeping in it your demensions are fine but id give yourself a little more room if your planning on having a wood stove inside with you... hope this helps

BC

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I use the term cabin loosely. I will not be chopping down trees and stack them. Yes, I wish I was man enough too but I am not.

I recently received the okay from my girlfriend (financial reasons) and my parents (property). My parents own a decent hunk of property in Kansas and after working their land and helping my dad out he allowed me to have a small chunk to build my small (8' x 10') cabin. It will be built on a pier and beam setup. I need no advice on that.

My issue here is strictly monetary. I've been in construction for years. I would like to build it with 2x4 and go from there. The plus side to this is insulation and my choice on interior and exterior finishes. The minus is cost.

My other choices is those 3x5 landscaping timbers. Build all the walls from that. No insulation or interior finishing or exterior siding. On a $ level, definitely a plus.

My question is this, have any of you been through this decision or are going through it now?

I don't need anyone to tell me how to build or how not to build, just a suggestion of materials.

Also, I know there are only a few of you on here but I must state the following: I understand that my cabin will not survive a nuclear attack. I am not building a BOL. I'm simply building my view of paradise. Less than 100 ft from two ponds stocked with fish and plenty or wildlife to go around.

I appreciate your time. Thanks.
BStomp.
They are poison.

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
Use the construction techniques you know best...If you are in the construction trades...you know what to do.

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
Stick framing with insulation. I would make it bigger than what you are thinking. At least go 12'x16'. The additional cost would be that much more and the added space would be a tremendous bonus. You don't want tomhave to go back after a year and do am"remodel" on the cabin to make it more livable or bigger. As you probably know, make the dimensions so that you are using full lengths of sheeting and studs to do the build rather than having to cut everything to make fit. Ie, 12' wall lengths, 6' or 8' wall heights, etc.

I'm jealous.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Stick framing with insulation for sure. I am getting ready to build one this fall. At first I thought about 8 X 10 also. Trying to keep cost down. What I did was drew out on a piece of paper the things I intended to have inside when it is finished.

I discovered I am going to need something a little bigger than 8 X 10. I would put it on heavy skids in case you would ever want to move it.

·
Thinking outside the box
764 Posts
brushycreek;3007756i wouldnt want arsenic inside my cabin.[/QUOTE said:
Pressure treated lumber using CCA treatment was last used in 2004. Since then they use a treatment that is much less toxic and do not contain Arsenic.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Look i know you aren't harvesting the timber from nearby but your small cabin looks like something i found on the internet. I'm sure you'll be interested as it is also small/ overnight cabin. Although this was from harvested timber it might make you change your mind on how you do things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qcm285o4Ys
that is just awesome. Id build mine slightly bigger! awesome!!:upsidedown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts