Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my concealed carry permit. A 10-22,maverick 12g.,9mm rugar p95,and a saiga7.62 x39.

I am debating between a smaller handgun for concealed carry.

A back up 22.

A 22 handgun.

Or more of a longer range scoped hunting rifle.

Or just putting more money into ammo.

I feel the proverbial s-it will hit the fan anytime.

I am concered with protection and putting food on the table if it gets real bad.

What would you do?

I live in a semi-rural area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also mods for the Siaga. I would buy bunches of 30rd poly mags and a scope mount if you don't have one already, and don't forget mag clamps (those little clamps that you use to attach two mags side by side for easier reloading, they are cheap and LIFE savers). The scope for what you need... if you think you will be hunting more then get a long range, if you think you will be hunting the 2 legged varmint kind of creature then probably a holo-sight. I personally have both, but have the holo-sight on the gun currently.

This guy ( http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ ) has really good (and cheap, they are about $40 locally here and this is about half that) poly mags and quick delivery (3 business days to get to south Tx), make SURE it says "For Saiga only." Unless you have modified your Saiga to take AK mags you must only buy Saiga mags for it. Also the ammo in tins as those are made for long term storage.

If you are doing two legged varmint hunting you might want a folding stock... which is about the only thing that guy doesn't have, those you can get from here ( http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_36&products_id=149 ) which adds a AK style handle for more comfort and ease of use when indoors, it says it is for the Saiga shotgun... but it fits the regular Saiga rifles also.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The Ruger is kind of large and bulky for concealed carry. As bad as I hate to say you probably want to look at something like a Glock compact if you want another 9MM. I agree with the 7.62x39 and 22LR as ammo you want to workon.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Pistol (Check)

EBR (SAIGA.. .I'd convert it to AK mags and buy atleast 20 mags) ... Check

Backup pistol......

I'd recomend Mags, ammo, and a BUG.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it really depends on where you live. if you live in a flat plains or dessert area then you will need a long range weapon but if you live in a thick forrest area then you got it covered. if your going to be in the city you may want another handgun but if you dont have at least 500 rounds for your pistol and 1k for your saiga and about 5k for your .22 then i would get more ammo and what ever silver /gold you can find

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would say a .22 Revolver. Especially a Ruger Single Six. Can't say enough about them, built like a tank, last generations. As long as you have it on you you should be able to shoot it, if you have ammo.

I think everyone should have one or something like it in their stock.

I say pick up a standard one with adjustable sights, you also get a cylinder to use .22 Magnum ammo.

You have a good variety of everything else. This Ruger can just be your bag gun that can do almost anything in a pinch.

Get one, new or used, then spend the rest on ammo.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because I think we are in for a long hard run and I'm getting low on money. I think I will go with a used 22 hangun and get 10 to 15 500packs of 22ammo. And continue to stock ammo. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Because I think we are in for a long hard run and I'm getting low on money. I think I will go with a used 22 hangun and get 10 to 15 500packs of 22ammo. And continue to stock ammo. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Excellent idea, you WON'T be sorry. Any idea what handgun?

·
Registered
871 Posts
i getting a used FEG 63 9x18 with 2 extra mags for $125 at our local surplus store pretty basic little pistol and from what i read and seen there pretty reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts