Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a dull training knife. Whod'a thunk it could cut like that?

I was doing some drills with my daughter, and mis judged my timing. I ended up with two stitches.

Several things were learned. One is that the way we position ourselves is VERY important because it minimized the damage if you actually do get cut.

I took the cut on the bony side of the forearm. We do all our techniques so the "Bone shields" are forward, just in case. This is a very important difference between a knife system, and ones that only focus on empty hand.

The second was probably a much greater lesson for my daughter. She learned how stitch a deep cut today. I was able to walk her through the whole thing. She struggled, and it took forever to get the job done with the first one. She was getting the hang of it more on the second stitch, so it went much faster.

I am going to make her remove the stitches when it is time. I don't think she is looking forward to that though.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm NOT making light of your situation....I just couldn't help but think of this clip...
Just don't have your daughter come at you with a knife using a down-ward motion.....like this....

·
Registered
104 Posts
get a new training knife IMO

glad you are ok.

I used to do demonstrations on knife fighting/defense all the time w/ a live blade.. then i wised up and I know refuse to train with anything but a very safe alternative to a live blade.

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm NOT making light of your situation

Reply]
LOL!! "Like many beginners, You Attacked me WRONG!!!"

You train with a real blade?

Reply]
This is a training knife. I had ground the edge out of it. The point is rounded. It's duller than a butter knife. I am not even sure how it punctured my skin to be honest. I am really surprised it cut at all, let alone enough for two stitches.

We were initially doing some sensitivity drills, where the point is placed on the body, and you turn to minimize the damage as soon as you feel the metal. We had actually finnished, and were sitting on the couch.

She went to poke me with the blade like we were doing before. I was out of training mode by then. I got startled and went to jamb her at the bicep (like a sneeze reaction). Somehow the butt of the knife caught her leg, and see sawed up as my forearm was moving in and it levered into my arm. She wasn't even moving when it happened. I was. It was a freak accident.

How old is your daughter ?

reply]
She is 18

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have training knives. This was my metal one. We had been doing other, more aggressive stuff prior to that with a rubber one.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
The daughter of Royal Dragon. I bet she could whoop the tar out of any guy she has ever dated. If I had a daughter (one day) I would do the exact same.

When we trained, (briefly) it was with I think rubber knives. LOL. They may be lame, and flimsey, but no one ever needed stitches. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
You're daughter is learning some good skills. How to attack someone and how to stitch them up afterwards.:D:

Heal well, RD and it's good to spend time with family.

blt

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad to hear your okay. Might want to make a new rule. LOL No training tools at the couch:rofl:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Rubber knives bro, rubber knives.

I have one of the dull Spyderco folders that a good friend of mine gave me, but it RARELY ever comes out at knife classes. Why? Cause it's REALLY easy to get carried away and if you are not working with those same folks all the time you really don't know who can "control" themselves or not.

I've seen folks get hurt because they wanted to "push" a little too much in doing HTH, knife training, weapons takeaways, ground fighting, etc. Not hurt BAD mind you, but hurt nevertheless. 99% of the time, it's PRIDE and EGO issues- big guy not wanting to give up the weapon when his wrist is almost tweaked to the breaking point, guy wanting to knife fight at 100% because he learned some other techniques somewhere else and wanted to 'try' them or test the instructor.

All that reminds me of that Scripture verse- "pride cometh before a fall..." which sometimes is a REAL FALL! :D:

Lowdown3

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL!! We HAD rubber knives earlier!!

The drill we did at the end needs a metal knife. I was training what we call "O Sh!t" techniques. Basically the senario goes like this.

You feel sharpness, and it like Osh!T I am getting stabbed must move now!! The move is in the direction of the sharp feeling in kind of a turning manor. The idea is to turn with the direction of the feeling so you become like a rubber ball rotating. This redirects the incoming blade so what should have been a lethal puncture, becomes a bad nic, or cut that one can live through. It's a last ditch type of sensitivity training.

In practice, the theory is that you have done the drills so much it becomes an automatic, unconscious thing. What we are programming is to make the unconscious "Owww, I just touched something hot" type of reaction and turn it into a result that will help give a tactical advantage.

As the drill progresses, each time we move we slide into one of our trapping techniques. The theory is that in real life, if we feel sharpness we will unconsciously move and trap without thinking about it. By the time we conscious realize what is going on, we are supposed to have the knife arm trapped already. Some of our group have refered to it as the "Sneeze" reflex, and programing it to be of tactical use.

I still suck at the drill...I don't see how the seniors pull it off so effortlessly.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Is this the KaBar you broke the tip off and dulled.
KaBar knives do not like to be treated so roughly.
Next time use a 8 inch dowel. For God's sake be careful

1 - 20 of 22 Posts