Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So excited!! We can finally start our long term storage prep. We bought the heat sealer a month ago, now we have to go buy some buckets. I've been checking with everywhere and no one ever has any available and look at my crazy when I ask, and I ask so nicely :(

I know it's been brought up lots before, but I still don't know which buckets to buy, Home Depot, Walmart or Lowes and we have a City Mill to that sells some. Suggestions?

Can't wait to go to Costco and get a flatbed, gonna be so fun shopping! We have a $260 Costco Am Ex check for purchases that we are going to put completely towards our LTP so that should get us started for our first run.

And, we just found out we can purchase from our local LDS, another yah!!! If not, DH's co-worker is a member and said he will help us.

Everything is slowly coming into place, I love it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got white buckets from home depot here on Maui. In the painting section they say food safe on them. Where did you get your mylar bags from? I have been getting my 20X30 from oaktea international at Amazon.com for about $3 each with absorbers included. Shipping is free. What kind of sealer did you get? Your lucky to get to go to the LDS Food storage place on Oahu. I am a Mormon on Maui and we do not have one here. Dang, I wish the super ferry had worked out!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mauistacy - we ordered ours from usa emregency supply, shipping was big bucks, $51.30for about $120 worth of mylar bags and OA's. We bought our sealer off of Amazon, its a clam shell type, I think by Hot seal or something like that, love amazon with the free shipping :) I'll have to check out your mylars next time, this other shipping was way to much if you ask me. We didn't even pay that much for shipping our Berkey and the box was huge. Maybe whenever you come to Oahu you can stop by the LDS and pick up whatever amount you can take home, I can't wait to check it out.

Home Depot here we come!!

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Mauistacy - we ordered ours from usa emregency supply, shipping was big bucks, $51.30for about $120 worth of mylar bags and OA's. We bought our sealer off of Amazon, its a clam shell type, I think by Hot seal or something like that, love amazon with the free shipping :) I'll have to check out your mylars next time, this other shipping was way to much if you ask me. We didn't even pay that much for shipping our Berkey and the box was huge. Maybe whenever you come to Oahu you can stop by the LDS and pick up whatever amount you can take home, I can't wait to check it out.

Oaktea also sells on eBay, if that helps. And think about it: Mylar is HEAVY. So even if the box is not that big, it's still a heavy box.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
Congrats on your journey into food storage! I hope you didn't pay much for the heat sealer though. Most of us use an iron or hair straightener for $15 or so. I prefer the hair straightener myself.

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts

Hmm really?? IDk wtf happened with your order lOl but I order from them ALL THE TIME! I just got an order of mylar bags worth about $75 and shippin was i think $12..

There my favorite company to buy mylar bags from, only because of the fact they have so many different options for each size.. Like zipper top, stand up mylar etc. And there really cheap!!

But ya GL my friend, Once you get even a few buckets it will be a great feeling! Then you'll just be a pro at it and it will slowly add up!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I get my buckets, lids and mylar bags from usaemergencysupply.com

I find that their bags are thicker and the buckets are pretty cheap. Don't forget the O2 absorbers either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts