Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered these off of ebay for only $6.00 per pack.
I did a little reshearch and these seem to be rated higher in the blister packs.
I found some cheaper in bottles, however the expiration seemed to be only a year off.
I figure if something happens to where me or the family need them then this is enough until we can evacuate the area, and get to safer ground.
I know radiation is nothing to play with, however this is all I can afford for this SHTF senario. NBC suits would be ideal, however thats maybe later on.

Potassium Iodide Tablets :
Thyroid protection due to nuclear accidents and emergenciesIn 1982, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved potassium iodide to protect thyroid glands from radioactive iodine involving accidents or fission emergencies. In an accidental event or attack on a nuclear power plant, or in nuclear bomb fallout, volatile fission product radionuclides may be released. Of these products, is one of the most common and is particularly dangerous to the thyroid gland because it may lead to thyroid cancer. By saturating the body with a source of stable iodide prior to exposure, inhaled or ingested tends to be excreted, which prevents radioiodine uptake by the thyroid. The protective effect of KI lasts approximately 24 hours. For optimal prophylaxis, KI must be dosed daily until a risk of significant exposure to radioiodine by either inhalation or ingestion no longer exists.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
And anyone else needing to buy them needs to do so now, while they're available cheap again. So we don't have to go through all the whining that happened last time from the folks who waited till the last minute like sheeple and couldn't get any.

·
Registered
461 Posts
And anyone else needing to buy them needs to do so now, while they're available cheap again. So we don't have to go through all the whining that happened last time from the folks who waited till the last minute like sheeple and couldn't get any.
IMO you are better off spending your money on something that offers a little more protection like chem suit and mask.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just realize that these only offer protection from the accumulation of radioactive iodine in the thyroid gland. There's numerous other dangers that these have absolutely no effect on.

Don't mistakenly believe that these protect you from radiation

Thanks for saying that, however I am aware this is just for a small amount of protection. It's only $6 for a pack for 14 days, thats a very small investment.
I would love to have a suit, however several things come to mind.

1. I got to open the suit to pee and potty.
2. I got to open the suit to eat and drink.
3. I have no way to safely wash radiation off my suit.
4. If it gets that bad, where as I need a suit, I have probably already had a lethal dose of radiation.
5. I need a host of other equipment to make the most of the suit. (radiation detector, wash area,dosimeter, etc)

·
Registered
170 Posts
funny to see this thread. I ordered mine and am still waiting. they were suppose to get here yesterday. My two masks arrived. One adult one child. prices are great online!

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
You have excellent cuticles. Further more your Lunula is symmetrically perfect!

No dirt, and your distal edge is both well trimmed and equally symmetrical.

Well done.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You have excellent cuticles. Further more your Lunula is symmetrically perfect!

No dirt, and your distal edge is both well trimmed and equally symmetrical.

Well done.

I was going to post the same then i noticed peeling skin on his thumb..otherwise hand model material

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
IMO you are better off spending your money on something that offers a little more protection like chem suit and mask.
If they're going to buy that, then they need to buy it ahead of time too. We had a bunch of people panicking because they didn't have their iodine. Their excuse was exactly the same as the sheeple use: "I didn't think I would need it. I didn't think anything would happen." As was their reaction when trying to get supplies at the last minute, only to find them sold out or prices rising.

But iodine and chem gear are for different things. Both would be handy, but a chem suit isn't of much use if you're getting fallout for days or weeks. You can't live in the thing. Just like iodine won't protect from radioactive particles or chemicals.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I was going to post the same then i noticed peeling skin on his thumb..otherwise hand model material
You are right!

... the search for perfect hands continues. :(

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Remember KI is not recommended for older adults _at all_ (except by the companies pushing it - notice the branding "Life Extension")

Iodine allergies aren't exactly uncommon - be careful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts