Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got picked for the one detail that is fun, playing Opfor , playing a bad guy for army training.
I decided what the hell I will wear my cammies and my rig for shtf. M
The camo was a huge advantage btw. Me and three others using small unit unconventional tactics destroyed iteration after iteration inflicting 50 to 100 percent casualties every time.
we would hit them in a open area draw them into react to contact at which point we would attack with draw button hook and attack again. This is where my camo held a huge advantage. I was trying out tiger stripes and also British dpm. Other members of my team wore bdu's and another wore multicam. The comments in the after action review were he was like a ghost I couldn't see him. the guys asked us where the rest of our team was. Thier acu's stood out so well in the Kentucky brush that I new where the blue force was at all times. at times I could get within 35 meters in a bent standing without their security elements even knowing I was there. So just to show everyone acu's suck. My review of the other camo, tiger worked as well if not better than bdu's, the British dpm also worked amazing. Bdu's held their own. The multicam worked well while the person did not get to hi above the leaves covering the ground but on the run he was spotted against the green under brush.
Also the gear I was wearing had a lot of Velcro and zippers. The Velcro mag pouches got me located twice. it was the loud rip from changing mags that was a no go.
So that is my review from stimulated combat of my camo and gear.

·
in a land of confusion
1,149 Posts
that sounds really fun, how does one get invited to help out like that? At the same time, do you think its suspicious at all that they are essentially training against American-style guerrilla warfare tactics and that they will then use the walloping you gave them to study and improve their methodology for the future?

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,191 Posts
Neat story. Thanks for sharing.

We keep woodland BDU's in each B.O.B. and sets in the closet as well. We also have a personal bush rag in a compression sack in each B.O.B. The bush rag can be worn or used to conceal an emergency shelter. Or used to stay warm.

I believe in camo clothing as part of any bug out bag because if things get so bad that you have to bug out, you may also need to be less visible at times just to survive.

My B.O.B. is woodland camo as well. I keep a T-shirt over it as a cover and that works to eliminate the camo pattern for better sheeple relations.

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
We use Marpat woodland for summer and multicam for winter with coyote chest rigs and packs are either alice mediums with krylon tan and brown for summer or various larger multicam packs for winter. To solve the velcro problem we went with open top mag pouches with bungee retention. Check out the HSGI taco pouches they are great for your ready mag/mags.

I really do miss the old silent open mag pouches that had a piece of webing and a triglide to keep them closed. Pain to close back up,but silent and secure.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
So I got picked for the one detail that is fun, playing Opfor , playing a bad guy for army training.
I decided what the hell I will wear my cammies and my rig for shtf. M
The camo was a huge advantage btw. Me and three others using small unit unconventional tactics destroyed iteration after iteration inflicting 50 to 100 percent casualties every time.
we would hit them in a open area draw them into react to contact at which point we would attack with draw button hook and attack again. This is where my camo held a huge advantage. I was trying out tiger stripes and also British dpm. Other members of my team wore bdu's and another wore multicam. The comments in the after action review were he was like a ghost I couldn't see him. the guys asked us where the rest of our team was. Thier acu's stood out so well in the Kentucky brush that I new where the blue force was at all times. at times I could get within 35 meters in a bent standing without their security elements even knowing I was there. So just to show everyone acu's suck. My review of the other camo, tiger worked as well if not better than bdu's, the British dpm also worked amazing. Bdu's held their own. The multicam worked well while the person did not get to hi above the leaves covering the ground but on the run he was spotted against the green under brush.
Also the gear I was wearing had a lot of Velcro and zippers. The Velcro mag pouches got me located twice. it was the loud rip from changing mags that was a no go.
So that is my review from stimulated combat of my camo and gear.
Good stuff, British dpm is great kit. Some webbing kit has the option to conceal the velcro 'fur' and have a quiet opening with the pouch release only.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that sounds really fun, how does one get invited to help out like that? At the same time, do you think its suspicious at all that they are essentially training against American-style guerrilla warfare tactics and that they will then use the walloping you gave them to study and improve their methodology for the future?
this is a school to halfway check the box training for soon to be nco's no one was thinking about studying my tactics more like complaining that is didn't play like a haji.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The short answer is "NO" it is not suspicious at all. This is how Army units have trained for years.

Longer answer, I am not aware of any specific guerrilla tactic, ie, American style vs. Taliban, vs. V.C., etc., etc. What he described sounded like classic guerrilla tactics that have been used by everyone since at least the Indian wars and revolutionary times. As a smaller unit vs. a larger more conventional one, the only real choice he had was to hit and run, feint and withdraw, ambush, circle behind and hit is weak spots such as the rear and flanks. All fairly basic and universal.

I loved playing OPFOR in the Army. We usually used our Mortar Maggots as OPFOR because they did not take as big a part in the maneuver part of the training. Sometimes we had squads and platoons tasked out with that role. It is a blast.

·
Eaglescout for Life
2,109 Posts
God I loved playing OPFOR. Had an OC promise us pizza if we managed to get a grenade sim into a Humvee. Thank god it was winter so I hid the grenade in my glove while I got patted down. LOL the look on the gunners face as that grenade sim hit him in the chest and fell into his truck was priceless.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
Years back when I was still in and running with the Scouts, we frequently acted as OPFOR. It was always a fun time. :D:

We'd use different clothing and equipment all of the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts