Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using Google maps today and wanted to see what others found. I have found what I think is the tunguska event's coordinates: 60.886N 101.894E if you zoom in and look to the west (left) you can see a large empty area in a small stretch of forest. I THINK this is the right area but could be wrong, so if I am please correct me. Please include coordinates to any sites you are aware of, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33,201 Posts
I started using Google maps today and wanted to see what others found. I have found what I think is the tunguska event's coordinates: 60.886N 101.894E if you zoom in and look to the west (left) you can see a large empty area in a small stretch of forest. I THINK this is the right area but could be wrong, so if I am please correct me. Please include coordinates to any sites you are aware of, and thanks in advance.
click on the little man in the upper left corner and drag him to street level...kinda cool

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I can see my roof, where I park and other things but I apparently wasn't home when my privacy was invaded. Occasionally, this could be useful, I suppose, but it's also sad and scary. I feel sort of violated.

·
Registered
33,201 Posts
This is all old technology. Just think, one day we will get live pics as drones fly above our homes. :)
I have this feeling the gubbmint already has real time pictures or at least the abilty to do it.

I would imagine when real-time comes it will open up all kinds of privacy issues. Ex-husbands watching his ex-wife, the boss watching his employees at home etc.

·
Registered
33,201 Posts
My house still shows the above ground pool that I got rid of 5 years ago.
That's weird, they must have updated our picture 3-4 times. Last fall we put new swings (yellow) on the swing set...BAM, there they are.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
I'm waiting for the face-smacking shovels to pop up out of my dead lawn every time I have a thought --- which isn't very often --

·
Internet as a BOL
614 Posts
You can obviously see the high resolution that commercial companies have. You KNOW the Gov has even higher resolution at their disposal. I guess if you are working outside one day, they should be able to tell if you got that cover-up tattoo or not.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
I remember reading years ago -- If someone was standing in red square reading Pravda -- the satellite could look over his shoulder and clearly see the head-lines --

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
Ha ha
Google maps updated the street view of my house from an old picture to a slightly less old picture, at least a few years too.

Guess my area doesn't rate high enough for the google car to visit often

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are privacy issues that concern me regarding Google Earth and the like, but--got to admit--it was one heck of a useful tool when I was looking to buy land. Could see what kind of trees/vegetation was growing on the properties, if the roof looked to be in good repair, if the neighbors were slobs or tidy, if the ponds were clear or green. Even got a good idea of how much sun the property got and how much clearing I’d have to do to put in a garden. All from my living room.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have this feeling the gubbmint already has real time pictures or at least the abilty to do it.

I would imagine when real-time comes it will open up all kinds of privacy issues. Ex-husbands watching his ex-wife, the boss watching his employees at home etc.
I don't think they can do continuous real time, but they definitely get extremely high res sat imagines (much better than Google maps).

If you see the Google car, turn and cover :thumb:

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
Google any big city street - go to street view then turn 90 degs. -- you usually see its reflection --

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I was at a stop light today when a google earth car passed through the intersection. It had to capture me. I will be famous and immortal FINALLY.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts