Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only learned this several months back, and I'm sure many of you know this already, but if you DON'T know it yet, you will love it: Google Earth does not need to be hooked up to the internet to operate. In my limited understanding of all the terms and such, I guess it is called "cached" in the memory?

So, if this is the right term, I "cache" my memory for all the areas between here and my BOL, as well as extensively around the BOL for many, many miles of the forest, streams, roads, etc. VERY handy as far as I am concerned!

Hopefully this will be a blessing for those of you who do not know this...
or am I the only one that didn't???:eek:

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
... Google Earth does not need to be hooked up to the internet to operate. ...

So, if this is the right term, I "cache" my memory for all the areas between here and my BOL..
Careful!

Cache is an automagic tool for programers to use to maximize performance; may or may not, be permanent.

Your best bet is to PERMANENTLY SAVE the file information you need.

This may or may not be avaible option with the current Google Earth software (I can't remember).

I think your post has merit though. In the even of internet outage, your cached data may be on the computer. If you need to change plans, your second or third choice may still be on the computer even though "you" didn't save the data.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
...So, if this is the right term, I "cache" my memory for all the areas between here and my BOL, as well as extensively around the BOL for many, many miles of the forest, streams, roads, etc. VERY handy as far as I am concerned!
Careful!

There is the guy in charge of figuring out how to feed a whole bunch of hungry people. There just happens to be a lot of homes that look like they left prepared.

The easy way to find out where you went would be to look inside the computer left behind. Not only is your cookie for this board is on the forum, but so is your Google Earth map locations.

The guy in charge knows a whole lot more about you then you realize when he shows up at your BOL ready to steal everything you have.

Remember, if you are going to rely on the cache, so can anyone else with computer knowlege.

Take your computer with you.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Yep...
Keep it simple and well under the radar. Never know who might be looking in and wondering if you might have some twinkies they could steal...

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...to clear it up

Careful!

Cache is an automagic tool for programers to use to maximize performance; may or may not, be permanent.

Your best bet is to PERMANENTLY SAVE the file information you need.

This may or may not be avaible option with the current Google Earth software (I can't remember).

I think your post has merit though. In the even of internet outage, your cached data may be on the computer. If you need to change plans, your second or third choice may still be on the computer even though "you" didn't save the data.

No doubt my terminology is flawed. ALL I am saying is primarily that Google Earth works WITHOUT an internet connection. My laptop does go with me, despite no internet, yet it is still a very useful tool while I explore the area and the hundreds of miles of dirt roads.

That's it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, it works without internet connectivity. You just can't look at anything new. I wouldn't think you would need it for your BOL's though. Don't you all ready know where they are? I must be missing something.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
Take your computer with you.
If you are worried about people accessing data on your computer when you've bugged out, you could go a lot lighter by just taking the computer's hard drive with you rather than the whole computer. If you use a laptop though, then you may as well take the entire thing as you can power it on battery power easy, and it's small enough to take on foot. :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've also been wondering how to download the entire Google Earth map file for offline use. It would be great to have on a mil-spec Panasonic Toughbook, along with the million other useful and entertaining things you could save to disk: books, movies, music, images, even whole websites.

Charge it with one of these folding solar panels :

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Google Earth was designed by Keyhole, Inc. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole,_Inc), which was originally a CIA venture capital endeavor, a sort of slushy public-private thing from In-Q-Tel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-Q-Tel). So it's the civilian spin-off of an intelligence application. It certainly allows the server to know what you're searching, but it's a cool application. The trade off is pretty simple: your privacy for the power it grants. Use it accordingly.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Jdmcox.com

USAPhotomaps. Usgs quads, terraserver aerials, tiger streets, and all downloaded data is persistant. Greatest free map program ever.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it works without internet connectivity. You just can't look at anything new. I wouldn't think you would need it for your BOL's though. Don't you all ready know where they are? I must be missing something.
It's NOT to find my BOL! Again, all I am saying is that it is a "living" map that will climb hills for you, follow all the forks of a 5-way intersection, find ways around a possibly road blocked road, trace the power line routes, see where the locked forest service roads go, etc.

But the only point I was trying to share was that you don't need an internet connection to do so. As far as I can tell, you search areas at random--while you are hooked to the internet--and when you unhook, it has it all in the PRIVACY of your UNHOOKED laptop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Be careful of the cache as it has a memory size limit and will overwrite the oldest data first, so unlike a "saved" image you may go back to look for something and it will be gone. :eek:

As mentioned earlier, USAPhotomaps is definitely the way to go because you actually download everything you need only limited by the size of you hard drive. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts