Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I heard that an ex-neighbor had passed away. Of course, went and bought a sympathy card to send to the family. I had already put it in an envelope, stamped it, and put it in my mailbox. Got back in the house when the phone rang. It was my brother and I told him "did you know that so-and-so just passed away? I sent a card". To which my brother replied "no it WASN'T your neighbor, it was actually so and so with a very similar name. Your neighbor Joe is still healthy and very much alive!" I rushed out and retrieved the card from the mailbox, just as the mailman arrived. Saving me from a really embarrassing situation!

I was thinking of some other possible instances of mistakes, social faux pas, and embarrassing mistakes that someone could commit. Either accidentally, intentionally, or hilariously!

Inviting your ex-spouse to your wedding

A fart in church

Inviting a PETA member to a barbecue

Bringing a Ford to a Chevy rally

Bringing your cat to a dog show

Getting the giggles at a funeral

Dropping the ring at a wedding

Bringing a Windows computer to a gathering of Mac enthusiasts

Bringing a Chevy to a Ford rally

Inviting friends to your son's wedding, and not telling them that the "bride" is actually a guy who's gone transgender

Inviting that 25 year old son of your neighbor's, who is still living in his parent's basement, to a job fair

This is just my quick list. What do others think? I'd like to hear about any other's "oops!" and "oh-ohs"!

·
Padre in the woods
1,525 Posts
Usually I check all the engineering orders despite not having a keen awareness of what part we're making. Bottom line was that we made a piece which the plan said was inches. After it was made it was determined by the client that it should have been centimeters. While on the client's design guy for not making the correct notations, we made good on it which kept the client in the long term. The incredibly large part was turned into a small table which people look at and say.... "well, that's interesting".

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,202 Posts
Recently I heard that an ex-neighbor had passed away. Of course, went and bought a sympathy card to send to the family. I had already put it in an envelope, stamped it, and put it in my mailbox. Got back in the house when the phone rang. It was my brother and I told him "did you know that so-and-so just passed away? I sent a card". To which my brother replied "no it WASN'T your neighbor, it was actually so and so with a very similar name. Your neighbor Joe is still healthy and very much alive!" I rushed out and retrieved the card from the mailbox, just as the mailman arrived. Saving me from a really embarrassing situation!

I was thinking of some other possible instances of mistakes, social faux pas, and embarrassing mistakes that someone could commit. Either accidentally, intentionally, or hilariously!

Inviting your ex-spouse to your wedding

A fart in church

Inviting a PETA member to a barbecue

Bringing a Ford to a Chevy rally

Bringing your cat to a dog show

Getting the giggles at a funeral

Dropping the ring at a wedding

Bringing a Windows computer to a gathering of Mac enthusiasts

Bringing a Chevy to a Ford rally

Inviting friends to your son's wedding, and not telling them that the "bride" is actually a guy who's gone transgender

Inviting that 25 year old son of your neighbor's, who is still living in his parent's basement, to a job fair

This is just my quick list. What do others think? I'd like to hear about any other's "oops!" and "oh-ohs"!
If you stuck Forever Stamp on that envelope you can keep that card around until the time comes. Good Prep!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Indefatigable
20,523 Posts
Christmas Eve 1981 - JFK airport bound for OK. I dropped a Christmas present that contained an expensive radio and watched as the crowd kicked it down an escalator. I go running after it cussing a blue streak. Just as I get my hands on it I look up to see a line of old nuns on the escalator next to me going up ALL of them killing me with eye daggers. Oh but it gets better. I can't even print what I said next without thinking, outside the DS, but it involved the names of Mary and Jesus and a sex act. By that point it wasn't just nuns staring at me.
Yeah, I really did feel bad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was in Japan on deployment this one time and out at a local bar. We had recently returned from some training in South Korea. When I paid for my drinks I handed the bar tender what I thought was a Japanese 500 Yen coin. I was a little drunk and didn't realize that I had handed her a South Korean 500 Won coin that had gotten mixed into my pocket. The two coins look quite similar. She gave me the dirtiest look until I realized what I had done. I quickly apologized and gave her the correct currency lol

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,743 Posts
I don't have the kind of time needed to even begin to detail these in a thread. I'm sure I'd overload the database this board is built on.
Lol that is VERY similar to what I was gonna say ... Y'all ain't got the time. Haha! It's a wonder I get anywhere at all I have my foot in my mouth so much! 😂

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
3,649 Posts
My husband was making small talk in elevator with a coworker. She was pregnant.

He asked her when was she going to have her baby.

She said that her baby was 3 months old.

Looong elevator ride!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Wise quip from a lady faster on her feet than I:

Him
"Oh congratulations, when are you due"
Her
"Ya, I am just fat but thank you anyway"

Me
"FML"

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,195 Posts
I brought home a box of assorted donuts for my wife.

This morning I was in a rush, and knew she didn't like apple fritters, so scarfed the apple fritter in lieu of breakfast.

This evening she yelled "DID YOU EAT MY APPLE FRITTER???" Seems I was misremembering, or it was a different brand she disliked, or something like that. Oops.

I apologized and explained myself, but she just stared at me with baleful, sad eyes.

I think our relationship will survive, but I dunno.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
2,014 Posts
Ooooh, never get between a girl and her pastry.....

I could post endless fox paws as well. I'm sort of clumsy.

I've hit myself in the mouth when taking off a boot several times. Pull hard on the boot--POW! right in the mouth.

Spent several years doing ballroom dance. Can't count the twisted ankles, butt falls, or failed dips I've performed or fat lips I've given my partner... oops.

Not too long ago I was making this wonderful chuck roast. Thought it smelled a little odd after a while. Took it out of the oven to examine it, and found I had left the meat diaper on it and it had melted into a gelatinous plasticky mess.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I‘m in the don’t have enough time camp.

One that springs to mind was when my mom was dying in the hospice. She had been out of it for a couple of days and me, my two brothers and sister were taking turns spending time with her. The last night we knew it was near the end and she probably would not see the next morning. She was no longer responding and am not sure if she even knew we were there. We were all in the room with our spouses saying our good byes. I went last.
I said things like “I love you” “You were a good mom and raised good kids, you lived a good life, enjoy being with dad, it’s ok, you can let go”

Then I heard me say my final words to her. I said “and I hope it all works out for you”. I have no ideas why I said that but everyone in the room started cracking up, laughing, hugging at what had been a really somber time. It turned out to be an mood breaker and really eased the tension everyone was feeling. She passed away about an hour later just after we had left.

I still get playfully reminded by my siblings that my final words to my mom were “and I hope it all works out for you“. It was a gaff and strange/somewhat embarrassing thing to say but not a bad gaff in the long run.

·
Business Owner
2,555 Posts
2 really good ones.

First, in Dallas with my friend going to pick up some computer parts. In the north, really nice area. Its after lunch time and we are both really hungry. There are protestors standing on the street corner protesting the banned subject here. one of the signs said "Baby Butchers" I for some unknown reason think of a meat butcher shop with a deli counter and BBQ and with a straight face ask the person if there is a buffet. The look of absolute horror on that person's face!! I am sure that they still specifically pray for my soul everyday. (Hopefully that story ISN'T against the rules here)

Second, I and family are eating lunch at Denny's. I have scooped up the lemon seeds in my tea and have them on my fork, acting like I am going to flip them at one of my kids. It slips and I shotgun blast our waiter in the face with lemon seeds as he is bringing our order!

I have lots of others, but those are the top.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You ain't never, seen a sailor move, after launching his boat..................
And finding the plug, in your pocket.................
My parents lived on a lake and had multiple boats, including one of those two person, pedalled paddle boats. My brother and a friend took it out and sunk it because he left the plug out. Here's the real joke: He was a Coxswain in the Coast Guard Reserve! We never let him forget it!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
You guys reminded me of one. Paratransit had these 'half buses" or short bus. They could hold about a dozen people before COVID. Anyway I had bought a large box of full sized candy bars, several cases in the box, weighed about 40 pounds. The driver hadn't seen me in a while and I had gone off my low carb diet.

I go around to the back and open the emergency exit, preparing to take the candy. The driver grabs my arm and says, no, he can't let me do it. Well Ron sure can't pick it up! I asked "Why?"

"Because you're pregnant" he replies.
I started laughing "I'm just fat"
He went around the side of the van and I could hear him laughing.

A couple of weeks ago I went to work. A guy asked me how my husband was doing "He's dead" I replied. "Great! Glad to hear it!" and he walks off. I have to hope he just didn't hear what I said...

Another one if you know Facebook when you react to a post you are given a choice, happy face, sad face, laughing face, and the "hug" face giving a little heart a hug and sending you love. I had posted some very sad comments about Ron's passing and some people were reacting with the ha ha face. I realized they had gotten it mixed up with the hug face and didn't say anything but it was so awful!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts