Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into getting a good woods gun for
hiking/camping in the Eastern woodlands. After reading
this article I'm leaning towards a shotgun.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/forest-tracker-shotgun

I'm thinking an 18" 870 express 12 ga. but not sure if I should
go smooth bore or rifled. I'd like to carry buck but I prefer rifle
sights, preferably installed already and no gun smithing, etc.

Any recommendations for or against this?
I've given thought to carrying an AK but it may draw too much attention.
Would smooth bore be better for 00 buck or can I shoot that out of a rifled bore? I think I'm just hung up on the bore thing so if someone could educate me in that area and make a suggestion that would be helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get a smooth bore 870. Rifled barrels are for shooting slugs. The 870 comes with choke tubes that screw into the end of the barrel so that opens up lots of ammo choices dependent on the game that you are hunting. There is a rifled choke tube for shooting slugs if you wish.

To sum it up, the smooth bore is more versitile.

·
Great White Hunter
33 Posts
.54 cal muzzle loader! My personal favorite.

But seriously, if your looking for something for defense then I'd second Palma and recommend the Taurus Judge. It's a 5 shot pistol with which you can either shoot .410 shotgun shells or .45 Colt cartridge. The gun is compact enough that it won't be a burden.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Ruger 10/22 with Williams Peep Sight mounted on it and a good sling. If you do your job, it will do its job. The .22 Long Rifle has killed everything on this continent including human beings, so, there you go.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Depends on your needs.

Remington has for years made an 870 (20" Express Deer) with a smoothbore and rifled sights.

For my needs, and I'm in open country but grew up in scattergun territory, it would do but I'd prefer not to hump an 870 around for normal hiking and camping. I'd rather have a short barreled carbine of the .44 Mag or .30-30 even out here. Much lighter and what gets hit stays hit.

Back when I was in scattergun territory, I switched from a shotgun to a full size .22 rifle when I could, the lighter weight and pinpoint accuracy more than made up for the lack of payload.

Me, when I go out into the boonies am packing at a minimum, a .22 semi-auto (Colt Woodsman) and normally pack either a .45 or 10mm in 1911 form (my normal CCW guns) or a .41 Mag in hunting territory.
The additional weight tariff of a longgun when I'm already burdened with a pack and additional garbage is more than it's generally worth.

In the hunting field, that changes but I still prefer a carbine or rifle, loaded with standard hunting loads there's nothing I'll encounter that will stand up to it, loaded with "cat's sneeze" loads it can take small game quietly and I can pack along a lot more ammo than I could if I were packing a scattergun at an ounce + a shot.

That 25 round box of buckshot weighs in at a pound and a half +, my .30-30 or .308 much less for the same capacity plus my range isn't limited.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Options are endless but it sounds like you have decided on a scatter gun. The versatility of them are unquestionable so it's not a bad choice.

As far as rifled bore or not, well, a rifled bore will not work well with any type of shot round be it 00 or 6's. It imparts a spin on the wad/shot which severely limits the range it travels.

Still, the shotgun is a good choice, just choose one with interchangeable chokes and get the chokes you need to go with it.

I would base you decision on what your likely need will be. If your looking for something for small game only then perhaps a 22 would better serve you.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,417 Posts
Most of the year a shot gun would be the most versital. While a 12 ga can handle a heavier shot charge, a 20 ga is over a pound lighter.

Depending on the hunting laws in that state, you might want to change to a carbine for deer/bear/hog hunting. Anything from a lever gun in 44 mag to a carbine length in 308 win would put game down for good.

I am usually concerned with not having to follow a wounded game animal in a heavy forest, so I would tend toward large and heavy calibers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
True, but that's where practice comes in. 22 ammo is cheap and affords one the chance to practice a lot for just a small investment, typically lighter as well as a smaller package then most shot guns.

·
Banned
491 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of .416 Rigby, just to be sure. Besides, you can NEVER be overgunned, it makes you more of a man, and just the size of the gun will intimidate every man, animal and evil force there is. It also trains you better for those monster Ohio elk.

·
Learning
1,188 Posts
You said woods gun but you didn't say what the purpose was. Is it hunting 4-legged critters? If so what size? Is it self defense from 2-legged critters? Do you want rapid fire or accuracy or both?

Personally for camping, off roading, or just hanging out in the wild I like to bring my Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-.30. Very dependable, good range in the open desert, and doesn't attract a lot of attention from the anti-assault rifle crowd like my AR would.

I only have iron sights so I won't be reaching out to touch a target at 1000 yards but that's not why I carry it. It's good for my eyes up to about 220 yards or so. And of course this is addition to my concealed carry pistol.

Anyway I live in and hang out in the desert so the terrain where you are may be different but my Marlin has been a extremely versatile thus far.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If the terrain dictates that a shotgun to be a good choice, I prefer a double barrel. This allows the use of slugs in one side and bird shot in the other. This allows you to take what ever presents itself in a moment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
springfield armory used to make a 22/410 combo for pilots to use to survive if shot down, neat little gun and has built in ammo storage in the buttstock

·
Registered
215 Posts
I personally carry a H&R Survivor. I have the one that shoots 410 shells and also .45LC. Works great for both squirrels and is good out to 75 yards or more with the 45LC.

I also have the option of my black hawk in .45LC.

If I am only out when the only game that can be taken in rabbit i have a Heritage Rough Rider single action .22 revolver, cheap and 100% reliable.

Martin

·
Registered
319 Posts
I turned all my guns in years ago at one of those collection centers where they destroy them. That said, I used to have a .223 over 20 ga combo and I carried that gun everywhere for year. It was a great all purpose gun and I would have it in my truck carrying it everywhere still today had I not seen the light and gotten rid of my guns.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts