Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just moved to northern NJ a few months ago and I've been trying to hike every weekend. I'm looking for some new interesting trails and I've been using my AllTrails app on my iPhone.

I'm wondering if any of you have been to the Four Birds Trail in Rockaway. Considering going there soon, seems to get great reviews.

Also, are there any particular trails you'd recommend? I've hiked the following:

-Delaware Water Gap
-Stokes Forest
-Pyramid Mountain
-Tourne Park
-Harriman
-Bear Mountain
-Columbia Trail
-Ramapo Reservation

I'm trying to stay in the northern NJ area if possible. I live in Morris County. Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
469 Posts
HI there-
I used to hike Harriman all the time (the trail with the lake/ reservoir at the top) it’s a pretty nice trail. It think that its about 3-4 miles each way. I haven’t been there in a few years, but I remember it fondly.

Bear Mtn is ok too. Nothing here is going to be too challenging, but the area will give you some fun hikes.

You may also want to check out Sourland Mountain Preserve. Its about an hour south (southwest?) of you. Very well maintained trails. I went Mtn biking there once and damn near killed myself, but hiking it was pretty good.

Hope that helps some

·
Registered
947 Posts
Check out Jokey hollow, has a nice trail system. Also Lewis Morris park which trails also connect to jockey hollow and a few other parks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI there-
I used to hike Harriman all the time (the trail with the lake/ reservoir at the top) it’s a pretty nice trail. It think that its about 3-4 miles each way. I haven’t been there in a few years, but I remember it fondly.

Bear Mtn is ok too. Nothing here is going to be too challenging, but the area will give you some fun hikes.

You may also want to check out Sourland Mountain Preserve. Its about an hour south (southwest?) of you. Very well maintained trails. I went Mtn biking there once and damn near killed myself, but hiking it was pretty good.

Hope that helps some
Actually just realized that my girlfriend and I hiked Sourland last summer. I used to live in Bridgewater and I was looking for a decent hike. I liked the trails but I thought it was a little short. I remember trying to find ways to make the hike longer cause it flew by. Again, nice hike though.

·
BASS
2,090 Posts
Harriman has a lot of good trails. You can plan hikes of various distances and not need to hike back over the trails you used to hike in.

I hiked many trails, mostly in winter, and the views are great because all the leaves are down. Get the: Harriman Trails, A Guide and History book with maps.

I haven't been there in several years so check the current regulations about fires and parking. The Rangers will be out checking especially in warmer months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harriman has a lot of good trails. You can plan hikes of various distances and not need to hike back over the trails you used to hike in.

I hiked many trails, mostly in winter, and the views are great because all the leaves are down. Get the: Harriman Trails, A Guide and History book with maps.

I haven't been there in several years so check the current regulations about fires and parking. The Rangers will be out checking especially in warmer months.

Harriman is great. Definitely trying to go back this summer.

·
Survivalist in training
39 Posts
There is quite a few here in good New Jersey, just got to look for them. :) Most of the good ones lead to PA one way or another though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm local to the area and hike/backpack weekly. There's surprisingly many options. If you want to stay local check out Palisades Interstate Park. It's right off the Palisades Interstate Parkway; the trails are along the Palisades cliffs and Hudson River. Take note it gets particularly crowded on weekends. I would particularly recommend a hike in that park known as "The Giant Stairs". It's a mile-long rock scramble over a boulder field that formed from cliff erosion. It's can be quite challenging at some points, so adequate footwear, water, and daylight are a must. Here's a link to to the printable maps the PIPC provides on their website:

http://www.njpalisades.org/maps.html

If you're willing to drive just a bit further than Harriman check out Storm King State Park and Black Rock Forest. Both are just past West Point on Route 9W. Both aren't quite as big as Harriman, but provide fantastic trails for a day hike.

Good luck and get out there! Any questions let me know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Monmouth county has a bunch of good hiking trails. Heartshorn park is great! I did 11 miles there last weekend. It's got some good elevation as well as technical trails.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jockey hollow is great. Delaware water gap is great. Look at north east PA as well. I lived all over NJ., Watchung reserve is great. In pa. Mcdade trail is awesome. Goes from milford pa, through Dingmans ferry, through Bushkill I believe it ends in east Stroudsburg. I lived in Bushkill for 2 years. Bushkill falls park
Is amazing. Waterfalls. Great 1/2 day trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts