Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a nifty tip on the news this morning: As part of your car kit, have a metal coffee can, a candle and some matches. If you are driving in the winter and get stuck in your car, you can light the candle and put it in the coffee can. It will give off enough heat to keep you from freezing without running your engine and risking death from carbon monoxide.

http://www.kirotv.com/weather/18254277/detail.html

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I presume the can is to prevent fire. I have seen different ideas for candle heaters, but a candle puts out the same BTUs of heat, no matter what you arrange around, or heat with it. The heat ends up being released into the vehicle, so don't bother with apparatus, just burn the candle.

·
drive a stake thru Islam
1,005 Posts
you can also take that coffee can and a roll of toliet paper and some rubbing alcohol 70%, and use that, (gurantee you wont freeze with that) the flame is invisible just pit a lid on it to extinguish it, but what i do is place the TP in the can and soak the alcohol in it over night the TP swells up and as long as you keep a lid on it it stays good for a very long time and is ready when you need it.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
Just remember that the TP is coated or when you pull over in the middle of nowhere to make a deposit the slight surprisemight not be what you were looking for.
Just kidding I have seen and have used this methiod in the past with a candle and a coffee can. If you use a small coffee can and place it between your legs you will provide head through conduction to your legs and groin as well as to your hands. It also sends a nice warm air current up towards your face.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Back in the 70's we used to make what were called buddy burners. Now that term applies to several different things. Our buddy burner was a coil of cardboard placed in a tuna can with wax poured over the top, a long burning candle type heater. The re-seal-able plastic lid supplied with the cat food was placed on top until use. Several of these emergency heaters were placed in the trunk just in case you got stranded in your car in freezing weather. I suspect we would have ruined the carpet and melted the interior plastic if we had ever really used them. I still make similar canned heaters, just in case, but think them more appropriate for outdoor use. Better to have an option that not.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I presume the can is to prevent fire. I have seen different ideas for candle heaters, but a candle puts out the same BTUs of heat, no matter what you arrange around, or heat with it. The heat ends up being released into the vehicle, so don't bother with apparatus, just burn the candle.
A little thermal mass never hurts. Might help the heat stick around longer. It would be nice to put warm your hands on the outside of the tin.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
just a thought.

the average candel produces 50 BTU/hr. The average human body at rest produces 250 BT/hr.

discuss

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I caught a nifty tip on the news this morning: As part of your car kit, have a metal coffee can, a candle and some matches. If you are driving in the winter and get stuck in your car, you can light the candle and put it in the coffee can. It will give off enough heat to keep you from freezing without running your engine and risking death from carbon monoxide.

http://www.kirotv.com/weather/18254277/detail.html
I use one with a little sand in the bottom so it dosn't tip, and have 3-5 candles in there for the TENT at night.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good post, and great idea. Ken has the right idea, when I was in the boyscouts we made the rolled cardboard/wax/tuna can burners, and the burn forever as well as produce a large amount of heat. 2-3 of these added to you car is a great idea. Here in CO it gets so hot in the summer your candles melt, so they are not the best option where the covered tuna burners contain the wax, no mess!

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
CO2 is good for you .............................nite nite .

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Back in the 70's we used to make what were called buddy burners. Now that term applies to several different things. Our buddy burner was a coil of cardboard placed in a tuna can with wax poured over the top, a long burning candle type heater. The re-seal-able plastic lid supplied with the cat food was placed on top until use. Several of these emergency heaters were placed in the trunk just in case you got stranded in your car in freezing weather. I suspect we would have ruined the carpet and melted the interior plastic if we had ever really used them. I still make similar canned heaters, just in case, but think them more appropriate for outdoor use. Better to have an option that not.
I have also done this using left over wax from candles poured over the cardboard roll with a real tiki torch wick. It does work when tested.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
I keep my sleeping bag in the car. I don't drive people around often, so why not?

Another cheap, safe option to consider: disposable "Hot Hands" body warmer packs:
http://www.safetycentral.com/orhothanhanw.html

They're basically a super-sized version of their hand warmer packs. You can either toss it in your sleeping bag or keep it center-of-mass under your jacket. You can find them at Wally World in the hunting section for about $1.50, or a 3-pack of smaller handwarmers for the same price.

That said I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to light a fire to keep me warm :D:

·
Registered
249 Posts
i keep my sleeping bag in my trunk as well as a goretex parka. never know when you will feel the urge to go camping....

also i have a fleece blanket in here, as the girlfriend gets cold during the winter and likes to cover herself when i am driving, regardless of how high the heat is cranked or how much i am sweating....

·
Registered
525 Posts
winter is here

As part of our winter car kits, we also carry light weight sleeping bags. Having to wait out a winter rescue in the bag would make the wait a lot more pleasant. We live in a remote area, so a car emergency might get you an overnight stay in sub-zero weather.

I think the candle in a can idea would probably be more for psychological effect rather than its heat value.

There is an urban legend type story about the mom, that drives the kids to school wearing hair curlers, a robe, fuzzy slippers, and little else, only to have the car quit on the drive home. Being prepared for winter is just being smart. How many times have you jumped in the vehicle without suitable clothing, depending on the cars heater to keep warm. If you haven't planned for winter car problems, its time to do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts

in response to this in the old days we would use a old juice can opener to open holes along the sides of the bottom of a used coffee can and then turn it over onto the candle to help the heater do its job if we were winter camping or got stranded along the side of the highway. its a very simple and proven technique for getting some, not extraordinary, amounts of heat.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
This webpage is not available sez the link.

Survivorman did not find a candle to be particularly helpful. Putting it in a can captures much of the heat in a way more easily transmitted to skin. Such a device might be good to keep hands warm but as far as heating a vehicle interior in deep cold, not useful. And you still need an air vent with ANY combustion based heating device.

Far better to run the engine and heater ten minutes of every hour, leave the window open a crack while you do it and make very very sure the exhaust is not blocked by snow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts